Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold gasket?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

I ordered a complete engine gasket kit per ratwell from busdepot. However I'm not seeing the bakelite spacers in the kit like BD shows in their photo. Before I contact them, are these supposed to be in the kit? I do see 4 paper intake manifold gaskets though.

This is the victor reinz part #: 01-21925-03
UPC: 4026634000557

http://www.busdepot.com/029198009

My engine is 2.0L FI.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

they used to come in the kit. Call Bugformance and see if they have a VR kit with them in it.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure you can buy just those spacers/gaskets separately
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

At one point you just got new gaskets to use with the original phenol insulators,but later the gaskets came glued to the insulators. Maybe they are taking a step back in time?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

It just sucks that you think you are getting one thing and you get something else.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

This is the victor reinz part #: 01-21925-03

[...]

My engine is 2.0L FI.

Your 01-21925-03 set is for a 1.7 engine with carbs. For a 2.0 FI bus I believe you need the 01-23455-05 gasket set instead.

I did some research on gasket kits a while ago for my bus, but I ended up buying an Elring set.

Victor Reinz 01-23455-05 has (or used to have) phenolic blocks:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Victor Reinz 01-21925-03 has NO phenolic blocks, but has replacement paper gaskets for them:

Conceivably, you could reuse your phenolic blocks and replace their paper gaskets with the ones you got in your kit. However, in my limited experience, a) used blocks are generally so brittle they will easily break and b) a set of two phenolic blocks is so cheap, it's not worth the time and effort of replacing the paper gasket only.

All that said...

I wish it were that simple. That might no longer apply to the gasket sets Victor Reinz sells nowadays. Looking at their most recent catalog online, it would seem that their kits no longer include the phenolic blocks:

The above is an extract from the catalog I put together. The Victor Reinz part for the kit is on the first column. The rest of the columns show the part number of the individual gaskets in the kit.

Decode your M-Plate
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I received the phenolic from busdepot today but they don't have the gasket pre glued to it. Do I need to glue them to the phenolic spaces or does everything go on dry?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

Dry is fine.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Dry is fine.

Thank you kindly!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

I removed the original VW manifold gasket that was 3/16" thick. The replacement gasket in the BD kit were just thin, pressed metal:

http://www.busdepot.com/021129707d

The kit included 4 gaskets so, do I just double up the metal gaskets? I cannot find a 3/16" thick manifold gasket on any other part sites also.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
I removed the original VW manifold gasket that was 3/16" thick. The replacement gasket in the BD kit were just thin, pressed metal:

http://www.busdepot.com/021129707d

The kit included 4 gaskets so, do I just double up the metal gaskets? I cannot find a 3/16" thick manifold gasket on any other part sites also.

The thick insulator is for FI, carbs use a single metal gasket to conduct heat into the manifolds.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

The thicker gaskets are for F.I.? That seems weird because I removed this gasket from between the carbs and the top of intake tubes:

This is 3/16" thick and has VW markings on it. The engine had never been removed before also.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

Oh, that's a carb base gasket, you said "manifold gasket", you'll need new isolators, or cut fresh paper gaskets and glue them to the phenolic spacer.

Слава Україні!
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

As a general rule:

With aftermarket manifolds....do not use the stock metal gaskets.

With the fiber gaskets use some Chapstick on each side to prevent them from sticking when time to remove them.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

It's a stock manifold and completely stock setup. I'm just looking for a carb base gasket.
60vwnewengland wrote:
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
The thicker gaskets are for F.I.? That seems weird because I removed this gasket from between the carbs and the top of intake tubes:

This is 3/16" thick and has VW markings on it. The engine had never been removed before also.

It seems weird but its but. The thick spacer. On the EFI gaskets...made of phenolic plastic ( bakelite).....is not there for heat insulation. There is "0" need for a heat insulator on the efi runners because the injector does not contact the runner anywhere. Its fully suspended by its rubber o-rings.
Its a spacer. Its designed to hold the runners at the correct height for the center manifold as well as insure that the spray cone from the injector is spaced correctly from the valve and centered correctly in the port.

As BD mentioned....yes.....you can put the gaskets on dry.....but only dry between the outside of the gasket and the head. The gasket itself works far better when adhered to the phenolic spacer with a thin layer of adhesive/sealant. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

Just for clarity, the gasket I took a picture of above is the gasket on the TOP of the intake pipes:

Is this just a spacer? Can I reuse it?
60vwnewengland wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Is this just a spacer? Can I reuse it?

It's an assembly of parts, a spacer with a gasket glued to each side. If the gaskets are not torn and still have a little give you can reuse them, or buy a sheet of gasket paper from your FLAPS and make some fresh ones.

Слава Україні!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
If the gaskets are not torn and still have a little give you can reuse them, or buy a sheet of gasket paper from your FLAPS and make some fresh ones.

Perfect! Thanks Busdaddy
60vwnewengland wrote:
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold gasket? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

It seems weird but its but. The thick spacer. On the EFI gaskets...made of phenolic plastic ( bakelite).....is not there for heat insulation. There is "0" need for a heat insulator on the efi runners because the injector does not contact the runner anywhere. Its fully suspended by its rubber o-rings.
Its a spacer. Its designed to hold the runners at the correct height for the center manifold as well as insure that the spray cone from the injector is spaced correctly from the valve and centered correctly in the port.

As BD mentioned....yes.....you can put the gaskets on dry.....but only dry between the outside of the gasket and the head. The gasket itself works far better when adhered to the phenolic spacer with a thin layer of adhesive/sealant. Ray

Colder air equals more power, the gaskets are there to insulate the runners from the heads. If what you claim is true, the VW engineers would have made the manifolds a bit difference in shape and saved a dime or two per car by eliminating the expense of the phenolic insulator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: