Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campbell, 1965 13 window Dormobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Soon as I get spindles and the rear end in!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

On his front feet as a stock bus for the first time in many years
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Trying to keep on the "one bus thing a day". Today I removed the Vintage Warehouse built Hurst style bumper
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

your bus makes me want to raise mine back up Laughing

looks sweet!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Damn Dave they fish gilled the fuck outta that bumper to slide that Hurst on that thing huh. Trim and all lol
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Ryan, I smile everytime I look at it!

Skim.........it was a damn nice bumper before 😭
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Today I decided I wanted to play with bumpers. I have a bashed one with good trim to ad to a good bumper. First is og paint, but big dent, other is three to make one....and pretty straight...

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Wish I was closer I would love to pick that hurst and bumper up from you for my pickup, if its for sale that is!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

great transformation!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

I'd beat that dent out the first OG paint blade with the all mighty BFH and run it.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
I'd beat that dent out the first OG paint blade with the all mighty BFH and run it.

Yes. They are much easier to straighten than you would think. Soft steel. I used a 2x10 to set my bumper on and slowly beat out the dents carfully to prevent making "welts".

Bus looks great!
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

The BFH seems to be the recommendation from most 🤔
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

A couple of suggestions on the “camperization” of your bus...

As a camper myself, I’ve always said that if all I could get was a Deluxe, it would have curtains and a bed in it! Concerning camp equipment, a roof rack works great but a small trailer is much better to haul all of it and keep more available room in the bus. Wink

Also consider the addition of disc brakes up front. Looking good so far! Cool
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise! Yes, curtains are a must! Have a nice big rack ready, and even an old Apache trailer box (like heilite ) that will be good for the overflow...of course it needs attention too!
PDX db
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

One more bumper to try out! While very commercial, it actually was on a 21window for a good period of time

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

I liked the setup it came with better, that commercial bumper makes it look like a football helmet.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Skim wrote:

Yes. They are much easier to straighten than you would think. Soft steel. I used a 2x10 to set my bumper on and slowly beat out the dents carfully to prevent making "welts".

Bus looks great!

Haha yes! that's exactly how I do it. Its almost like squeezing a dent out of a soda bottle, it's like it wants to pop right back out into its normal shape again very easily.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

Do you use a 2x10 so more of the curve of the bumper sits on the wood as a straightness guide? Also, how big of a hammer? Is the metal too thick to use a c clamp to move the metal?

I have to straighten my bumpers at some point and my only option is the set I have. Nice work and collection of different looks!
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

dschup wrote:
Do you use a 2x10 so more of the curve of the bumper sits on the wood as a straightness guide? Also, how big of a hammer? Is the metal too thick to use a c clamp to move the metal?

You lay the bumper on the wood and hit the other side. It prevents crushing the steel. Gives it some cushion and is easier to shape the curves. Big hammer and keep the head flat to the metal. Go slow and work the dents out. Doubt a clamp will work.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Campbell, 65 13 window, SWR/BG, former SBS, now stock build Reply with quote

PDX db wrote:
One more bumper to try out! While very commercial, it actually was on a 21window for a good period of time

cut the overriders off and you have a clean commercial bumper. I do like them

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: