Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cabinet options for a tin top.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

Quintanamobay wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
If I were building a bus interior, I'm pretty sure I'd do a full bed and make the rest of the "cabinets" more modular.

I've thought about a full bed combined with the late Westy main cabinet, so skipping the fridge/cooler cabinet.

But in reality with the way I primarily end up using my Westy (weekend trips) I don't *need* the big cabinet, either. I use it because it's there, but the bus would be way more useful overall if I had the wider bed, and more open space, and just planned to use a couple totes and camping gas stove.

Would you be making the modular sections on your own, or buying some?

Ha ha, I don't know! I'm a long way to having to really worry about it one way or another! I've got the Westy, and a passenger Bus. So no need to build a camping interior!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

I have a 73 Westfalia and I agree that it's not the best interior layout. The late 70's Westy's were way better. I have considered building my own cabinets to try to improve it, but have kept everything for the sake of originality. Because I have been working on my bus a lot over the years and also use it to transport stuff, I've often used it with only th 3/4 bed installed. I find having the extra space is useful for both camping and hauling stuff. I use a cooler and plastic bins for food and cooking gear. I'd rather cook on a picnic table and get all the gear out at once instead of ducking in to retrieve 1 item at a time from cutsie little cabinets and cubby holes while my bus fills up with bugs. Firing up a built in gas stove in a tin top is just asking for an air lift to the nearest burn unit. I have a Bus Depot side tent if I had to do those things in bad weather. It makes cleanup easier as I can just hose down the cooler bins, etc. I like being able to remove the interior easily for cleaning and to make sure there are no unseen water incursions.

It really depends what extent you are going for style or functionality. It's not either or but filling it up with cabinets that are hard to use can really make camping an ass ache. If I were starting with a clean slate, I would buy, build or have built the most comfortable full width bed I could that opened and closed easily, comfortable, high quality padding and upholstery, really well made with a lot of attention to detail. I would do really nice interior panels, flooring and trim. I might add an early bay table. They fold easily out of the way and are big enough to actually eat your lunch off of. You can still slide 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back hatch. Your already heavy bus will thank you for not making it haul 100's of pounds of pointless cabinetry, countertop and a sink too small to even wash your dick in it.

It won't look as cool as those #gofundmyvanlifebliss folks, but those people park their buses at the Hilton and only use that stuff in the photos shoots. Besides, how are you going to change into your wet suit if you have an entire IKEA showroom packed into a 5x5 space? Wink
dumptuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am also interested in tintop interiors, I will likely be building a cabinet for mine in the near future. In my case, the full width bed is definitely a luxury. However, since I have an early bay (early protruding filler neck), the rear cushion is just barely too wide to fit between the spare tire cover and the opposite wall... It still lies nearly flat, but just something to keep in mind I suppose. I’ll probably just end up putting my spare tire on the roof rack eventually anyways.
jonpanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

I am building a CAD model of a set of cabinets for my 1977 bus. If there's some interest, I can make these available. If there's enough demand, I might be able to get these CNCed and available for purchase. If you are interested in this file let me know at [email protected]

my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

We found the set up in the late bay handy as the boys were in a fife and drum corps, and needed their uniforms hung in closet. The cooler has some mystery insulation that keeps stuff cold for days with a frozen gallon of water and on a run home from the Dogfish brewey in Del. To Ct. fits 2 full size growlers in it after we jettisoned the water. Beer was still nicely cool after a long day....
The 3/4 bed is fine if you spoon right.
I've only used the sink as an ice bucket for the blender drinks.
We made the boys sleep in tents, the bus is for us folks that maintain it and make the food. With no stove, all cooking is done outside.
But then again, we are not living in it nor camping for more than a long weekend.
Quintanamobay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

jonpanic wrote:
I am building a CAD model of a set of cabinets for my 1977 bus. If there's some interest, I can make these available. If there's enough demand, I might be able to get these CNCed and available for purchase. If you are interested in this file let me know at [email protected]

I am very interested. I have access to a CNC at work, but have no experience with CAD. I just emailed you. q***[email protected]
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

Thread Bump, e-mailed [email protected] and also curious as to if there's an update on the quest?

I have found a CAD drawing thread for a Vanagon interior and e-mailed Nacho in that thread as well....

I have a 71 Bus interior, complete, if anyone wants to take measurements and CAD it up and am looking to build out a 77 Bus Interior
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

JonPanic was kind enough to e-mail me back

I now have a CAD Expert breaking out the file he shared into a 'flat-pack' so, someone can follow the dimensions and make it themselves

Next I am going to have the CAD Expert create a CNC File, with drill attachment holes and all, so I can have a local shop CNC it; he estimated it would be about 4 hours of CNC time at a hundred bucks an hour

I've been quoted 4-6 grand from local carpenters for the build out

Stay Tuned
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

I have quite a few tabs open and e-mails sent out; excited to share with you all a compiled list of the information, lots of it out there but it can certainly be a bit here and there as it were

On a similar vein; does anyone have a link, or two, or three, of preferred ways to attach the cabinetry to the bus?
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I have a 73 Westfalia and I agree that it's not the best interior layout. The late 70's Westy's were way better. I have considered building my own cabinets to try to improve it, but have kept everything for the sake of originality. Because I have been working on my bus a lot over the years and also use it to transport stuff, I've often used it with only th 3/4 bed installed. I find having the extra space is useful for both camping and hauling stuff. I use a cooler and plastic bins for food and cooking gear. I'd rather cook on a picnic table and get all the gear out at once instead of ducking in to retrieve 1 item at a time from cutsie little cabinets and cubby holes while my bus fills up with bugs. Firing up a built in gas stove in a tin top is just asking for an air lift to the nearest burn unit. I have a Bus Depot side tent if I had to do those things in bad weather. It makes cleanup easier as I can just hose down the cooler bins, etc. I like being able to remove the interior easily for cleaning and to make sure there are no unseen water incursions.

It really depends what extent you are going for style or functionality. It's not either or but filling it up with cabinets that are hard to use can really make camping an ass ache. If I were starting with a clean slate, I would buy, build or have built the most comfortable full width bed I could that opened and closed easily, comfortable, high quality padding and upholstery, really well made with a lot of attention to detail. I would do really nice interior panels, flooring and trim. I might add an early bay table. They fold easily out of the way and are big enough to actually eat your lunch off of. You can still slide 4x8 sheets of plywood in the back hatch. Your already heavy bus will thank you for not making it haul 100's of pounds of pointless cabinetry, countertop and a sink too small to even wash your dick in it.

It won't look as cool as those #gofundmyvanlifebliss folks, but those people park their buses at the Hilton and only use that stuff in the photos shoots. Besides, how are you going to change into your wet suit if you have an entire IKEA showroom packed into a 5x5 space? Wink

alman72 wrote:
full bed for sure. 2 adults is still kinda snuggly.
I have a icebox bar combo (bar was a sportsmobile brand sink delete option) and honestly, it is just a space sucker. when the bed is down, and you get out of bed to put your shoes on, the space at the end of the bed is like a postage stamp if you have buddy seat, icebox, cabnets, ect. The great thing about some of the westie stuff is that it was modular. take out what you don't want to use and put it in when you go to a show.
I think sportsmobile still does interiors.
or what about stuff from a RVcamper interior?

So I realize this is an older thread, but it was dug back up by Steve, so I figured I'd put my cabinets in here too, because the quoted info is so on point.

I have a 73 tintop, and I found the stock closet and sink/icebox and headbanger and all to be much too much "stuff" and took up too much room.

I kept the fold out bench bed and sold the rest of the interior off for good money to someone who loves original everything. It was kinda rough anyway, and I just wanted a much more modular interior.

So I built a table just like the original design, from a nice 3/4 plywood.

I also built a storage box that acts as a table seat. It opens from the top and side. Has handles so you can move it around and take it out if you need open space.

I built a seat-height cabinet with a flip up top next to the bench, that takes up the leftover space from the closet.

Lastly I built a little pop up beer shelf that slips on the passenger seat.

Throw in some coolers and it works great for camping. And i can put my mountain bike inside also.

Maybe not for everyone, but it works great for me, and without the closet and headbanger and all that it makes a nice open space for sleeping.

Good luck to all,
Hobo

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet options for a tin top. Reply with quote

Hobo with the superior early bay camping setup Cool
The late bay setup is nice, but having the table on the driver's side is where its at.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: