Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood mounted spare
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PURPLETHING
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: hood mounted spare Reply with quote

Is there a mass produced bracket to purchase from Thing Shop/JBugs etc to use for the hood mounted spare?
Best options and opinions appreciated
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: hood mounted spare Reply with quote

I believe that Eric Ragan was looking into making some kind of rack for Things, he made my awesome rear luggage rack. Eric, where are you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: hood mounted spare Reply with quote

One of the Domick bros. has a military style vehicle with a hood mounted spare. It sits in it's own "cut out" for lack of a better term to recess it into the hood for a better view past it. It is really cool and I'm sure there are pictures of it in the gallery or on their website. One of them probably made it though.
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: hood mounted spare Reply with quote

The fellow who modified Hermann into a 'faux Kubel' bolted this mount to the lid. I don't know if it's the original inside mount or not. I don't remember what the mount on my '73 looked like. If anybody recognizes it, that would help. I can take the tire off and get a better picture if need be.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It holds the tire just clear of the sheet metal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BNMike
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: hood mounted spare Reply with quote

The OP just has to look on the Thing Shop website...

http://www.thethingshop.com/HOOD-TIRE-MOUNT/productinfo/181+HM-PC/

BNMike's spare tire is mounted upside down for that mount... it's got modified attachments on it. That mount is commonly available and normally used on a bus:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-3075

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: