Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Haunted House?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

I get creepy feelings too passing by old cemeteries on some outback roads where the houses are like 10 miles apart in the middle of night. Laughing

Gives me the willies!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Eh, I grew up with a large cemetery that dated back to the 1700s in my back yard. That was my park/playground for years, I always loved the large mausoleums. It wasn’t until I was in my twenties that it dawned on me why, after playing in the graveyard all day, none of my friends wanted to stay over in our 200 year old house. Sad

I’m sure it was an odd sight to see a 6yo pulling a wagon through the graveyard, especially all those times that I strolled past while they were planting the latest stiff.

Here’s the Moravian section with the plain, white headstones.

Link

And here’s a tour of the adjoining “rich” section.

Link

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Looks like a park. Very Happy

The ones in Louisiana are freaky. They don't bury you in the ground there. You get put inside a cement so you don't float during a flood. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

The original owner was an avid gardener.
He built an extensive, and from what the ruins tell me, really nice greenhouse down the hill in the backyard.

This concrete dome isn't far from the rear gutter downspout.
My guess is that if I were to dig around below the downspout I would find an old cast iron pipe feeding into a rainwater storage cistern.
This in turn would gravity feed to the greenhouse.

Septic? No, I know where that is and it is illogical that it would have been relocated. I draw this conclusion by "reading" the pipes in the house and following septic tank placement logic. (Straight out from house approximately 10 feet) The tank is a nice concrete one (flat top) and not the rusty round Tin cans of yesteryear. It is fed by vintage cast iron, not the crap orangeburg or modern PVC pipe.

A "new to me" House is always a discovery process.
now, if there were only a logical explanation for the phantom foot steps and bangs in the house.... 🤔👻

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

The above ground stuff is in the second vid, I was always fascinated with the remains when I discovered where the grave robbers had opened them up. Several of the large marble, granite, or concrete slabs (like the one at 1:50, I distinctly remember seeing into that one on more than one occasion, it used to have a black marble or granite slab before it was broken in the ‘70s.) covered underground vaults that had 5-15 family members in raised caskets.

By the way, proof that he does exist (or did) in that section.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

I spent the morning painting the house before the hot Sun and dry air makes it dry too quickly.

Sitting in the house with my Wife, she asks "do you want to hear my story of things that go bump in the night?"

OK says I......

She said, "remember about 2:30 when I asked if you were OK?"
"Yes......" apprehensively says I.
"Well I felt the bed move which woke me up, I then saw you standing at the window gazing out and holding a tissue to your face"
"O....K......." I say waiting for the rest of the story.
"I asked if you were OK."
"Then when you answered me that you were OK ...... from the bed NEXT to me I almost jumped out of my skin!"
"I looked back at the window and the figure was gone."

Hmmmmmmm........ 🤔🤔🤔

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

No more spicy tofu before bed for y’all. Laughing

Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU4qbnNmxWA
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I spent the morning painting the house before the hot Sun and dry air makes it dry too quickly.

Sitting in the house with my Wife, she asks "do you want to hear my story of things that go bump in the night?"

OK says I......

"Well I felt the bed move which woke me up, I then saw you standing at the window gazing out and holding a tissue to your face"
"Then when you answered me that you were OK ...... from the bed NEXT to me I almost jumped out of my skin!"

Hmmmmmmm........ 🤔🤔🤔

Dave

Very Happy There ya go. Non-threatening entity, obviously some distress in it's former life tying it to the house. Our bed used to go "bump" (no remarks, please) with our former "guest". We decided to embrace it and welcome it to the house, even though it was there before we were. Never really bothered us.. tended to enjoy Christmas time. Eventually it disappeared, but before it did we talked to it, simply outlining what we expected for privacy and the dos-and-don'ts for various situations (wife and I both work from home).... and it did listen. Might want to try to find what's up with your guest.... go to the town hall and find all you can find on the house's history and former residents.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

OK says I......

Hmmmmmmm........ 🤔🤔🤔

Dave

Very Happy There ya go. Non-threatening entity, obviously some distress in it's former life tying it to the house. Our bed used to go "bump" (no remarks, please) with our former "guest". We decided to embrace it and welcome it to the house, even though it was there before we were. Never really bothered us.. tended to enjoy Christmas time. Eventually it disappeared, but before it did we talked to it, simply outlining what we expected for privacy and the dos-and-don'ts for various situations (wife and I both work from home).... and it did listen. Might want to try to find what's up with your guest.... go to the town hall and find all you can find on the house's history and former residents.

So yer sayin' you can reason with ghosts and you should treat them with respect ?
I'll bet they get mighty pissed if you threaten 'em.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

OK says I......

Hmmmmmmm........ 🤔🤔🤔

Dave

That story made my skin crawl. Good luck. Hope this spirit is a kind and gentle one.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

My wife had something similar to that happen to her. I was deployed to Norway I think at that time. My wife woke up around 2 and my step son was sitting on the edge of the bed talking. We had a chair in the bedroom and he was facing the chair. My wife looked up and asked who he was talking to. he pointed at the chair and said look, a lady! I thought he was sleep walking or something and wrote it off. A couple weeks later a friend comes by with her kids. One of the kids wouldn't get out of the car and kept staring over the door. You could only see the top of his head and his eyes. He was crying and saying he wasn't getting out of the car. The lady was scaring him. There wasn't any one else around. They were both around 4 at the time.

Sharp64 wrote:
My wife has had several incidents that are very difficult to explain. In one home she live in in Mass, she swears she watched a large dark mass descend a flight of stairs, round a corner and walk down a second set of stairs.

In the house prior to where we currently live she mentioned many episodes. She said she often saw a dark mass move from a hallway to one of the bedrooms and back. One time when my step daughter was little, my wife was giving her a bath in the spare bathroom. Her back was to the door. Her daughter kept staring at something and finally said who’s the lady that keeps walking down the hall? My wife turned around to find nothing there. My stepdaughter went on to describe the “old lady” in quite a bit of detail. She was 3.

For many years my step daughter mentioned a dark man that she would see in her room. It got to the point where she wouldn’t sleep in her room without the lights on. Eventually she just began sleeping on the couch or in my wife’s room (before we were married). My wife was always unsure of what she had seen but believed she saw something. One night my wife awoke rather late, looked up and said there was a tall apparition standing next to the bed just watching her. It disappeared quickly, but she is convinced of what she saw.

Several years passed, she and I got together and I moved in. She talked with me a few times about the occurrences but I remained skeptical. I have to admit though I always had an odd feeling in the house as if I was never quite alone. One night, while we were sitting watching tv, I was on one end of the couch. My stepdaughter was 10 years old and a little mischievous and liked to play pranks. So we are sitting on the couch. My wife is laying down beside me with her head resting on my lap. My arm was resting on the arm of the couch and there was an open space behind the couch. I clearly and very distinctly, felt something push my elbow forward hard enough to move my arm off the couch. It startled me and I looked around quickly expecting to find my stepdaughter giggling behind the couch... Nope. She was laying to my right on the loveseat fast asleep. We moved very shortly after.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

This actually relates to a VW; my mother's 1970 Squareback. Sorry, it's a little lengthy.

New Year's Eve mid-'80s my grandmother and mother were in the kitchen chatting away around 11:30 pm. I was a teenager 14 or 15. I went in the kitchen, making a beeline to the fridge (as usual). The trash can was to the left of the fridge under a corner window that overlooked the driveway where my mother parked her car. While perusing the fridge my mother asked me to look out the window. Strange request, but without questioning I did. As I was looking out past the curtain I said, "I don't see anything," as it was so dark. Still peeking out of the window, she then asked me to take the trash out. (Another odd request, being so late at night, but I said nothing and, again, complied.)

Outside in the backyard, I was headed down the sidewalk toward the alley when I got the sudden urge to turn 90 degrees left and head down the sidewalk that went past the garage toward the driveway. It was dark but not pitch black given the ambient light from the street light down the block. As I was heading toward the driveway, I thought to myself, "this is strange, why am I going this way when the alley is the other way?" Yet, I kept going. The answer became clear as I rounded the corner to the driveway and saw two legs in dark pants protruding from under the front of my mother's car, silhouetted from the street light down the block. I was stupefied, but turned around as quietly and slowly as I could, then hurried back in the house. I frantically told my mother what I had seen, went out to the garage and flipped on the flood lights and threw open the garage door. There was nobody there. This was simultaneous to her calling the police.

The police arrived and poked around, found nothing, then left. Just after, I asked my mother why she had asked me to look out the corner kitchen window; had she heard or suspected something? Puzzled, she looked at me and said that she hadn't asked me to look out the window. She told me she recalled me saying, "I don't see anything" and wondering why I had said that. I told her it was because she had asked me to. Then I said, "And then you told me to take out the trash." Again, she denied having given either directive. When I got a little annoyed and insisted that I clearly heard her, her voice, ask me to do those things, my grandmother chimed in and said, "Honey, your mom and I were talking to each other about (I don't remember what), but she never said anything to you. You just looked out the window, said "I don't see anything," and then you took the trash out. Nobody said anything to you." I was truly puzzled but just let it go.

Given that she was going through a nasty divorce (and her husband was an avid tinkerer on all motorized things on 4 wheels), she decided to take the car to the mechanic located on the corner, three blocks away the next morning. They quickly discovered that the brake line had been loosened and every time she had stepped on the brake en route to the shop it peed out fluid. She had it fixed and kept it in the garage from then on.

That's not the only thing to have ever happened to me, but it certainly was one of the most memorable Shocked !

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
This actually relates to a VW; my mother's 1970 Squareback. Sorry, it's a little lengthy.

New Year's Eve mid-'80s my grandmother and mother were in the kitchen chatting away around 11:30 pm. I was a teenager 14 or 15. I went in the kitchen, making a beeline to the fridge (as usual). The trash can was to the left of the fridge under a corner window that overlooked the driveway where my mother parked her car. While perusing the fridge my mother asked me to look out the window. Strange request, but without questioning I did. As I was looking out past the curtain I said, "I don't see anything," as it was so dark. Still peeking out of the window, she then asked me to take the trash out. (Another odd request, being so late at night, but I said nothing and, again, complied.)

Outside in the backyard, I was headed down the sidewalk toward the alley when I got the sudden urge to turn 90 degrees left and head down the sidewalk that went past the garage toward the driveway. It was dark but not pitch black given the ambient light from the street light down the block. As I was heading toward the driveway, I thought to myself, "this is strange, why am I going this way when the alley is the other way?" Yet, I kept going. The answer became clear as I rounded the corner to the driveway and saw two legs in dark pants protruding from under the front of my mother's car, silhouetted from the street light down the block. I was stupefied, but turned around as quietly and slowly as I could, then hurried back in the house. I frantically told my mother what I had seen, went out to the garage and flipped on the flood lights and threw open the garage door. There was nobody there. This was simultaneous to her calling the police.

The police arrived and poked around, found nothing, then left. Just after, I asked my mother why she had asked me to look out the corner kitchen window; had she heard or suspected something? Puzzled, she looked at me and said that she hadn't asked me to look out the window. She told me she recalled me saying, "I don't see anything" and wondering why I had said that. I told her it was because she had asked me to. Then I said, "And then you told me to take out the trash." Again, she denied having given either directive. When I got a little annoyed and insisted that I clearly heard her, her voice, ask me to do those things, my grandmother chimed in and said, "Honey, your mom and I were talking to each other about (I don't remember what), but she never said anything to you. You just looked out the window, said "I don't see anything," and then you took the trash out. Nobody said anything to you." I was truly puzzled but just let it go.

Given that she was going through a nasty divorce (and her husband was an avid tinkerer on all motorized things on 4 wheels), she decided to take the car to the mechanic located on the corner, three blocks away the next morning. They quickly discovered that the brake line had been loosened and every time she had stepped on the brake en route to the shop it peed out fluid. She had it fixed and kept it in the garage from then on.

That's not the only thing to have ever happened to me, but it certainly was one of the most memorable Shocked !

That is a great story, Kent, but I have one question---------what color was Mom's Squareback?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:

That is a great story, Kent, but I have one question---------what color was Mom's Squareback?

The best color for a 1970 Squareback, as far as I'm concerned, Clementine. She bought it brand new.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

My Ghost has been quiet, though every time I set the alarm the motion sensor goes off 25 minutes later......... but nothing has moved in the house!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Can you pinpoint the alarm - which section it goes off? See if you can isolate the area/room and then see if you have any antiques there...

If you don't have antiques and the spot is isolated in the house, that's where whatever happened to your spirit.. happened. You can ask them to leave. Or disconnect that part of the alarm...
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
My Ghost has been quiet, though every time I set the alarm the motion sensor goes off 25 minutes later......... but nothing has moved in the house!

Dave

Alarm is broken then. The ghost thing is a bit of a problem isn't it. You'll have to setup some cameras and stuff so the police will know what happened to ye. Maybe its a Wendigo - a cannible type demon... or it could be some sort of murderous lunatic. Did you check the attic? Sometimes these things start off benign, but the fact it already showed itself to your wife is scary. It could be back tonight and pull one of ye out of the bed by the ankles.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Well, did u get a clammy hand on the leg last night?

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Haunted House? Reply with quote

Well...... this morning my Wife was in the kitchen while I was outside painting the house, she texted me and wanted to know how I turned on the TV in the living room........ hmmmmm ...... I didn't.

She also wanted to know what I was doing to make the house smell like auto exhaust?
Um.... nothing...... I'm painting, outside..... and it's an all electric house.

Not dead yet!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: