Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Sorry if there's already a topic that addresses this issue.

86' Vanagon Westy. Gowesty Aux battery setup.

The secondary battery is not charging as of two days ago (was working well for the past few weeks).

Reading the isolator solenoid, while running, I get 14v out of one side (front) and 10v (same as secondary battery) out of the other side (back). Checked wiring, grounds and inline fuse, all appear to be good. No "click" on the solenoid when key removed from ignition.

Recommendations on what to check/try next? My instinct is to try a new relay or solenoid. Does anyone have part numbers for those or suggestions where I could pick these up between Seattle and Vancouver BC? Read on another thread the relay is a dual 86 and likely not to be found at local autoparts stores, that true?

Thanks in advance for any help.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

You can happily replace the Gowesty huge solenoid with an 80/90A relay (not so common, often a motorcycle starter relay) or if you're confident about the currents involved an ordinary 30/40A relay will do. Both available at any FLAPS.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
You can happily replace the Gowesty huge solenoid with an 80/90A relay (not so common, often a motorcycle starter relay) or if you're confident about the currents involved an ordinary 30/40A relay will do. Both available at any FLAPS.

Thanks FXR -

Do you happen to have any parts #s for these?
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

No - they are Very Common Parts. Get into a real live shop and eyeball. Wink
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

You can also bypass the relay altogether and you won’t damage anything. Wire the batteries together and disconnect if you want while parked for extended periods. All the relay does is keep you from draining the main battery by only connecting them while you’re driving. You can manually manage that process as well if in a pinch.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

You want to search "Continuous Duty Relay". They are similar looking to the old Ford remote starter relay, but are designed for continuous loads. The starter relay is not.

My Yandina died after a couple years on a road trip. I bypassed it for the rest of the trip and when I returned, decided to put in a large battery switch from the marine industry. I also upgraded the cables so the engine can start off of either battery.

When the van sits, both batteries are disconnected from the van by the switch. It's not as automatic as some prefer, but it works.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Replaced the relay and solenoid today and still no luck.

To manually charge the aux battery, do I take the red line coming out of the relay that goes into the side (front) of the solenoid and hook that to the battery positive?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

I can't tell you how to direct connect them without seeing your wiring, but you would want the positive battery terminals linked together. Most likely one of the wires on the GW relay is from the positive terminal of the starter battery. It should have power all the time. Hope that is of some help.
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Personally, I like this unit from Blue Sea Systems. Requires 3 wires: One to each battery and a ground. Senses when voltage is high enough to charge the other battery then ties them together.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7610/SI-ACR_Automatic_Charging_Relay_-_12_24V_DC_120A

Available from your favorite marine supply house or through Amazon.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Thanks MarkWard-
Figured out the right wires and am able to charge the van manually.

Dampercamper-
That's pretty awesome. I'd just eliminate the solenoid and blue activation wire with this setup?
Dampcamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

re: Blue Seas 7610:
Yes, the minimum hookup for this to be functional, you already have: the two heavier wires to/from each battery, and a good solid ground connection. I'm not big on the "pure magic, fixes everything" devices but this is a simple module to install, it senses raised voltage (indicating a charge state) and ties the two batteries together while that higher voltage exists. Doesn't need ignition switch wire (but see below) or anything else. And, it works.

(In the link I included is a Tech page link, it includes a diagram and notes. Options you can add are an external LED that shows when batteries are combined, and a "Starter Isolation" connection from your solenoid wire for your engine starter to untie the batteries when you crank your engine - this prevents the Aux batt from "browning out" during engine cranking, probably not an issue in the average Westy but when used in marine applications, for instance, it could dump or damage some of the electronics in the bridge due to lower voltage. Starter Isolation also prevents trying to draw excessive current through the wires between Iso relay and battery, if smaller than, say, #4 gauge you could conceivably have an unsafe current going through those wires during ccranking.)
Fisheries Marine Supply up near Gasworks Park (in Seattle) should have these in stock, close to $100 with tax. West Marine can also supply. If you're not in a hurry you might save some change by ordering online.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

I had this same problem last year and discovered the wire going from the starting battery to the gowesty isolator was 14 gauge :-O

What I did have was a really nice heating element under the van, but there was insufficient current being transferred to charge the second battery. I upped to 8 gauge wire and everything is hunky dory now (do people really say that anymore?). Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Dampcamper wrote:
re: Blue Seas 7610:
Yes, the minimum hookup for this to be functional, you already have: the two heavier wires to/from each battery, and a good solid ground connection. I'm not big on the "pure magic, fixes everything" devices but this is a simple module to install, it senses raised voltage (indicating a charge state) and ties the two batteries together while that higher voltage exists. Doesn't need ignition switch wire (but see below) or anything else. And, it works.

(In the link I included is a Tech page link, it includes a diagram and notes. Options you can add are an external LED that shows when batteries are combined, and a "Starter Isolation" connection from your solenoid wire for your engine starter to untie the batteries when you crank your engine - this prevents the Aux batt from "browning out" during engine cranking, probably not an issue in the average Westy but when used in marine applications, for instance, it could dump or damage some of the electronics in the bridge due to lower voltage. Starter Isolation also prevents trying to draw excessive current through the wires between Iso relay and battery, if smaller than, say, #4 gauge you could conceivably have an unsafe current going through those wires during ccranking.)
Fisheries Marine Supply up near Gasworks Park (in Seattle) should have these in stock, close to $100 with tax. West Marine can also supply. If you're not in a hurry you might save some change by ordering online.

Hey DampCamper - Coming back to this after a bit. I never installed that ignition switch wire - the setup has worked fine without, keeping my secondary battery fully charged.

However, I am currently experiencing some strange electrical issues. I just had to replace both my distributor and coil for the second time in three months. Mechanics don't seem to know what is going on. They blame the ECU, could be, but not sure.

Is there any chance that not having the ignition wire for the secondary battery could distrupt/damage the ECU, the coil or the distributor?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there any chance that not having the ignition wire for the secondary battery could distrupt/damage the ECU, the coil or the distributor?

Short answer is no. It is also unlikely the ECU is causing the failure. It is also odd for both the coil and the hall sender in the distributor to both fail at the same time. That said, I don't see where you said what year van and engine.
dcaver01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: On the Road: Aux Battery Not Charging Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Quote:

Short answer is no. It is also unlikely the ECU is causing the failure. It is also odd for both the coil and the hall sender in the distributor to both fail at the same time. That said, I don't see where you said what year van and engine.

Hi MarkWard -
Thanks for the reply - it's a 1986 2.1L Manual Westy. Good to hear that it likely is NOT the lack of an ignition wire from the secondary battery causing this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: