Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake manifold Bakelite
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Intake manifold Bakelite Reply with quote

The engine I am in process of assembling, I have the question about using the bakelite gasket on the intake manifold when using carburetors.
Not exactly sure of the proper set up.
Cylinder head, bakelite gasket then an intake gasket then the intake manifold. OR Cylinder head and just the gasket and then intake manifold.
If some of the type 3 Guru direct me as it is different to the type 1.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold Bakelite Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
The engine I am in process of assembling, I have the question about using the bakelite gasket on the intake manifold when using carburetors.
Not exactly sure of the proper set up.
Cylinder head, bakelite gasket then an intake gasket then the intake manifold. OR Cylinder head and just the gasket and then intake manifold.
If some of the type 3 Guru direct me as it is different to the type 1.

It depends on whether or not you have FI.
For FI, you want new phenolic spacers with thin paper gaskets on both sides of the spacers, then the intake manifold runners.

For carbs, you want a thick paper gasket, then the intake manifold, then the phenolic spacer with paper gaskets on both sides, then the carb on top.

Do NOT use the metal gaskets in the gasket kit!!
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold Bakelite Reply with quote

It was Fuel injection FI then a Weber progressive center mount mess, thats when I obtained the car, so its going to stock dual carb set up. Just want to do it correctly once. I will have spare phenolic spacer in decent shape.

({For carbs, you want a thick paper gasket, [Next to the head and below the intake manifold] then the intake manifold, then the phenolic spacer with paper gaskets on both sides, then the carb on top.})

Just curious as to why no metal gaskets?

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Intake manifold Bakelite Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
It was Fuel injection FI then a Weber progressive center mount mess, thats when I obtained the car, so its going to stock dual carb set up. Just want to do it correctly once. I will have spare phenolic spacer in decent shape.

({For carbs, you want a thick paper gasket, [Next to the head and below the intake manifold] then the intake manifold, then the phenolic spacer with paper gaskets on both sides, then the carb on top.})

Just curious as to why no metal gaskets?

Yes. Gasket, manifold, gasket, spacer, gasket, then carb.
Because they have a tendency to leak, and loosen up, causing a vacuum leak.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: