Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hasnfefr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

So, I have been working to get this 72 ghia vert on the road. I'm new to air cooled vw's. My question for the community may seem dumb, but here it goes. The turn signals operate correctly on the outside of the car, but the indicators in the dash both light up and blink regardless of direction. Hazards work correctly outside and both indicator lights light up and blink as well. New turn signal switch, new hazard switch. I have looked at a schematic and it seems like that is how they designed it. Both bulbs have power from the same source (daisy chained) and both ground to the same location (unless I'm missing something). Is this how they are supposed to work? Your help is appreciated. If it was one indicator light I would understand, but there is a left and right.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

Sounds like the speedo was replaced with a different year as my 70 only has one inside bulb for turn signal and they just wired them together.
hasnfefr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

From what I can tell the 70 is completely different.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

Wiring diagram for 72 shows a Blue and Red wire tying them both together so they are designed to both flash at the same time. Go to technical at top of page and click on Ghia Wiring/72 if you need more help.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

That's how it's designed. Kind of silly. The Type 3 is the same way, it has two turn signal indicator bulbs in but they both flash in unison.

The Beetle had just one turn signal indicator light which makes more sense.

I mean I don't mind not having a separate right and left indicator light, if you don't know which way you moved the lever they ought to take your license away -- but to install two indicator lights and then just wire them to blink in unison is kinda weird. Laughing
hasnfefr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

After looking at the wiring and a schematic I came to the same conclusion. It just seemed really weird. I asked myself why would they spend the extra cash to have two if they weren't used that way. I appreciate the help for the newbee question.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

Can anyone with a 72 confirm that both indicators are supposed to flash no matter which direction? Just doesn’t seem right
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

Both flash on a '73. When I rewired mine I made a modification so that they should flash separately. I'll know once I finish up the wiring and test it out.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Can anyone with a 72 confirm that both indicators are supposed to flash no matter which direction? Just doesn’t seem right

It's right. Look at the wiring diagram, clear as day that's how it works.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

I guess it’s that black wire that confuses me
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

The black wire is keyed power into the speedometer housing. It powers the fuel gauge, oil light, generator light, and turn signal indicator light when you turn the key on.

The turn signal indicator lights get a pulsing ground from the flasher relay when in use. As you can see, the flasher relay has no way to differentiate right versus left indicator light, you can see they are tied together with the blue/red wire.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

I see. Thank you for the explanation
brooksinc1976
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

I have a 72 and am having issues too. Just posted about it. Sorta on topic. Can the bulbs be replaced with leds?
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 ghia vert turnsignal indicator question Reply with quote

brooksinc1976 wrote:
I have a 72 and am having issues too. Just posted about it. Sorta on topic. Can the bulbs be replaced with leds?

Lights that flash cannot be replaced with LED equivalents unless the flasher relay is one that supports LEDs and the stock VW blinker relay does not. The stock flasher won’t pulse at the required rate and will just act up if it is made to drive LEDs. The Brake and maker lights should be OK as LEDs but even that assumes Euro wiring not US wiring with flashing brake lights
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: