Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

‘67 sunroof bug
SewFine one piece headliner
WWest bows 3 @ 48” each
WWest spring clips (4)

Ok, things are going really well so far!! I haven’t eaten lunch or dinner but I’m pretty happy with my progress.
I’ve hit a snag though. I ran the bows through the sleeves in the headliner and they seem to be WAAAAY too big!? I’ve searched and searched but am unable to find anyone having issues with the bows and clips!?
I am at the first bow behind the sunroof. I get on clip in and insert the end of the bow. I go to insert the other end and there is a crazy amount of flex in the bow. Who has up close pictures of how the clips are installed and the bows WITHOUT the headliner blocking the view?
Again, I have searched but I’ve had no luck.
I know there are 3 bows in a sunroof car and I see there aren’t even any clips on the last bow over the rear window.
I was pretty excited but now a bit discouraged because I had to stop☹️
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

So you're saying the bows are too long? Can't you just trim the ends to fit? WW says on their site some cutting may be required, but any headliner bows you buy are going to be 48 inches long.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

Yeah, I was “assuming” that the 48” was the correct length. I found a post, of a post, of a sentence of a post....!?

The first two just behind the sunroof were 38” long and held on by spring clips...the third one was 44” and had no bends.
The first 2 had bends 2” from the ends at about a 30 degree angle.
So I guess that might be my answer. Man I read for hours and couldn’t find a damn thing!
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

I just did my non sunroof headliner with kit from West Coast metric the new bows were WAY to long used my original ones the new bows were also about half as thick as the original
Air and Water do mix!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

Do you remember how long they were? I cut mine to 38” but I think it was a bit too short. When I pulled the headliner backwards they had a little play in them. I’m getting close to finishing it up. Overall I am pretty happy with the results-I’ve NEVER done one so I’m happy.
The door posts were tricky. I put jute behind the pinch clips but I can still see the indentation of the clips a little through the material.
The tuck I did at the top of the door posts is “ok”. I cut too wide and you can see a little overlap in the top corner.
Oh yeah.....
PINCH WELTS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND!!!!!
They helped tremendously.
Karmannut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Headliner install,9hrs in,bow problems,hole-e-crap!! Reply with quote

Sorry i never actually measured them non sun roof car they were all same length the new ones with the kit were obviously to long and much thinner I still had my old ones just used them. Overall very happy with how everything turned out also was really worried after watching some of the utube videos some of those looked pretty bad
Air and Water do mix!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: