Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for German dash stickers
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Hi everyone. As I prepare to work on my new purchase (1960 beetle), does anyone know of a source for these stickers? It’s different and I really like the German touch. Don’t want to lose them when I repaint. Is this an original European car? I wouldn’t have thought US would have German writing on them. There is also indication that it was a semephore as I can see the rectangle patch under the paint. There are four stickers, one for the gas heater, ignition, lights, and turn signals.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Ceramic green, I like it. Drool

The dash stickers were an aftermarket thing, kind of a joke theme, I've heard called "Gerfraktured German" or something to that effect. I believe I've seen some still available within the past five or ten years, but can't say for certain if that is still true. My '60 also had similar labels applied to the dash, but they were the home made variety done with a punch-style label maker.

Found a picture on the internet showing stickers that look to be the same as yours on another car.
http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2011/05/humor-found-in-volkswagens-pidgin.html
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Yeah, as mentioned, switch labels were NOT stock, they were novelty items sold by various aftermarket companies like JC Whitney.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

I'd have to incur some terrific brain injury before painting that dash- let alone any part of the interior. That's beautiful.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Yeah,and heck, CENEX is still around...

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Ummm...that ain't German, buddy.

Also, switches/controls were not labeled at all.

Last edited by sjbartnik on Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Well, at least JCW had the humility to call it "simulated German" right?

Atowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I'd have to incur some terrific brain injury before painting that dash- let alone any part of the interior. That's beautiful.

I agree the interior paint is extremely well preserved. Hate the crushed velvet though and the vynl is stained from age. I really want to repaint the exterior to match the original interior color. The original paint is still under the new paint but I’m sure you can’t strip the new without ruining the original. I’m concerned if the entire car inside and out isn’t painted, it might not look the best.
Atowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

I do want to find that guy who updates the guts of the radio to modern though while keeping the original look.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

check out the paint forum , there are ways to strip the paint to get to the original paint and have it look good .
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Atowley wrote:
The original paint is still under the new paint but I’m sure you can’t strip the new without ruining the original. I’m concerned if the entire car inside and out isn’t painted, it might not look the best.

I wouldn't be so sure you can't safely strip it back to the original exterior paint, quite a few people on this site have had success doing just that by taking their time and using a combination of graffiti remover and fine steel wool. You should be able to find information on the subject in the paint and body section of this site. If you find that the original exterior paint isn't able to be saved or was damaged during the repaint, many paint companies are capable of tailoring the paint mix to match the existing original interior paint.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

Atowley wrote:
I do want to find that guy who updates the guts of the radio to modern though while keeping the original look.

Even that has little meaning for me. I simply seldom turn on the radio any more. I listen to audio drama and podcasts with earbuds on my MP3 player. Now, I did recently do a road trip in my Baja Bug, and that car has a 10 disc changer that handles MP3 CDs, so a very large number of songs are in there. But since I don't drive that car often, and it was years ago that I last changed the bank of MP3 CDs and I had no idea of what was in there. So I did spend some time going through the discs, sort of hoping to find a directory of one particular artist. But stopping to listen to good tunes along the way, of course. So I only made it through 6 or 7 discs. There were long stretches where I was just happy to have the sunroof open and the wind in my ears, nothing playing at all. And other times I was trying to catch up listening to a podcast series on my MP3 player.

viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

The fractured German reminds me of the aged old saying about the first computers.....

: ACHTUNG!
ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Source for German dash stickers Reply with quote

^^^^ this used to be a notice on the science lab door at my secondary school in the seventies! took me right back there for a moment
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: