Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video]
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Problem: After idle, it is slugish/nonresponsive on the throttle response. If sitting idle for a minute. I have to rev engine up before I start moving again. It works great once it gets moving

What I have done:
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-adjust throttle body
-checked microswitches (I just checked for continuity)
-I paid a local VW shop to set the timing

What I think it could be:
-Either Air flow meter or the throttle body.

Any ideas? Here is a video with engine warmed and the idle control unit bypassed.

Link

Progress:
-Replaced Oxygen sensor
-Bent arm on AFM - help a little
-Inspected Spark Plugs
-Compression test when cold (valves were not adjusted)
-Adjusted valves[/b]

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

timing correct? vac leaks?

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

What RPM is that idling at (sounds low to me)?

You can trim the throttle body a bit turning (out) that big screw (it adjusts the amount of air that gets around the closed butterfly and is one way to raise the idle a skosh).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

No vac leaks. Air regulator thing was tested and its fine.

AZ Landshaper wrote:
timing correct? vac leaks?

I don't know what RPM its at as I don't have an RPM gauge. It does sound too low. How does one adjust the idle? As in the video, it doesn't really get any faster by adjusting the big screw.

Ahwahnee wrote:
What RPM is that idling at (sounds low to me)?

You can trim the throttle body a bit turning (out) that big screw (it adjusts the amount of air that gets around the closed butterfly and is one way to raise the idle a skosh).

Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
...As in the video, it doesn't really get any faster by adjusting the big screw...

You mean that turning that big screw plug (middle of the photo) anti-clockwise has no effect on idle?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Very little difference. If turned in all the way, it wants to die. But once like one or two turns backing out from all the way turned in, it doesn't make a difference. I'm actually adjusting it in the video
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Okay, I see that now.

I also see that the arm in your AFM is very twitchy. Mine was like that:

Link

I did several things thereafter to improve idle and tip-in but perhaps most notably I cleaned the track in the AFM and later moved the arm to sweep on a new unworn arc.

Link
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Wow! That's very smooth after. I have cleaned my track with alcohol but it did not help. How did you adjust the arm?
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

My 84 had a lot of trouble like that. After a short drive it would often stall when accelerating from a dead stop. If I turned the engine off at the stop sign, and restarted it, I would have no difficulty off the line.
What worked in my case was disconnecting the O2 sensor input from the computer box. Apparently a short can develop in the wiring, and simply disconnecting the O2 sensor won’t help if the short is in the wire.
If this is your issue, you can replace the shielded cable, plug your sensor back in and be well with the environment.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

I cleaned it again with alcohol. Here's a video with me slowly letting throttle go. You can almost see dots on the track where it starts to Twitch.

Link

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

I tried removing the 3 screws and moving the track and no luck. I'm going to buy the gowesty rebuilt. I think it would be a wise investment.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
...How did you adjust the arm?

This was definitely a Hail Mary play but it worked for me. I did have spare AFM in case it went pear-shaped.

There used to be a Porsche 944 site that detailed this, here is an image I saved from it:

Basically a double bend that changes the track while keeping the same angle & pressure.

Mine before:

And after the double bend:

mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

When I moved my wiper track, I imbiggened the holes for the screws and removed about 1/16 of material from the end of the metal plate so I could shift the wiper towards the connector.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

First off, let your lifters pump up. Soft lifters will effect idle. Is this a new problem? If it doesn't get better when the lifters are full, I would look at the dizzy\timing. Check your vac cans are working as they should and timing is where it needs to be.

J
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Problem: After idle, it is slugish/nonresponsive on the throttle response. If sitting idle for a minute. I have to rev engine up before I start moving again. It works great once it gets moving

One issue I have seen that can cause those symptoms is an overly rich situation that causes the cat to load up at idle and takes some revs to unplug and flow. I'm not saying that IS your issue, just putting it out there as something to check into.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

mad.macs wrote:
Apparently a short can develop in the wiring, and simply disconnecting the O2 sensor won’t help if the short is in the wire.
If this is your issue, you can replace the shielded cable, plug your sensor back in and be well with the environment.

I'll look into that. Does the replacement wire have to be shielded also? I don't think it makes a difference in my idle if the O2 sensor is connected vs disconnected.

jberger wrote:
First off, let your lifters pump up. Soft lifters will effect idle. Is this a new problem? If it doesn't get better when the lifters are full, I would look at the dizzy\timing. Check your vac cans are working as they should and timing is where it needs to be.

J

This is not a new problem. I had just 'dealt' with it for a while. It's now bugging me and I would like for it to be fixed. It works pretty good if I don't give it 15 seconds to idle when driving. This issue also occurs cold sometimes.

?Waldo? wrote:

One issue I have seen that can cause those symptoms is an overly rich situation that causes the cat to load up at idle and takes some revs to unplug and flow. I'm not saying that IS your issue, just putting it out there as something to check into.

I installed the GoWesty exhaust around 10k miles ago (3 years). We kept the catalytic converter from the old exhaust I am pretty sure. I'll take a look at it.

I am placing the order today for the GoWesty Airflow Meter. I didn't have much luck adjusting mine.

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

so, your valves have been clattering for years?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

jberger wrote:

I didn't realize they were clattering. The video was taken after driving for 3 hours yesterday. I paid a known "VW mechanic" to adjust valves about a year ago. Maybe I need to do this job myself.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
jberger wrote:

I didn't realize they were clattering. The video was taken after driving for 3 hours yesterday. I paid a known "VW mechanic" to adjust valves about a year ago. Maybe I need to do this job myself.

Indeed.. Wink

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:
jberger wrote:

Indeed.. Wink

J

Great. I'm adding that to the order.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: