Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

I would dump some Marvel Mystery Oil into your crankcase and see if you can get your valves to pump up.

There is a knack to adjusting the valves on these things, unless your guy was experienced with hydraulic lifters on a VW horizontally opposed engine he may well have blown the adjustment.

I would check spark plugs and other tune up stuff as well, something is just plain ratty with that engine. At least turn the engine over two complete revolutions by hand and see if the compression feels the same on all cylinders, if not do a leak down test.

The digijet timing needs to be set at 28° BTDC @3500+rpm with the hoses off and plugged. If you time it by the book it is pretty much guaranteed that the engine will not run well. If your retard can does not hold vacuum when you suck on it, then do not reconnect the hose, but plug it off.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Thanks Wild Things. I used MMO on last oil change.

So I changed oil. Used same oil as last time, without MMO. Mobile 1 Synthetic 15w40 with a new Mann Filter.

I put in a new O2 sensor also.

I drove for 30 minutes and it ran great! It didn't want to stall out after 10 minutes of driving then setting idle for 3 minutes. Rock solid.

I noticed some loose bolts near catalytic converter. Like two of the three were loose. I have new hardware coming in my order.

I'm very excited to make progress Very Happy ! Thank you all for all the great advice. Even though I didn't execute everyones recommendations, I am still going to look into them. Like the cat converter Ill take down and inspect.

Heres a video of idle now. It's much responsive. I don't think there is any pinging now?

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Maybe try some injector cleaner as well. You have a cylinder that isn't carrying its load for some reason.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe try some injector cleaner as well. You have a cylinder that isn't carrying its load for some reason.

Oh man. Alright I'll pick up some. The injectors were replaced around 8k ago.

Should I still try MMO into the crank case since my pinging noise is gone?

And injector cleaner you just add to gas? I haven't tried turning motor by hand.

Distributor cap, button, and wires were replaced about 8k miles ago. Ill check spark plugs out and see if dad will show me how to do a compression test.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Oh man. Alright I'll pick up some. The injectors were replaced around 8k ago.

Should I still try MMO into the crank case since my pinging noise is gone?

And injector cleaner you just add to gas? I haven't tried turning motor by hand.

Distributor cap, button, and wires were replaced about 8k miles ago. Ill check spark plugs out and see if dad will show me how to do a compression test.

Injectors can get dirty pretty fast if there is something wrong with the fuel you buy. Yes just buy a bottle and dump the recommended amount into the tank.

Yes I would run some MMO in the crankcase as well.

The way the vane in your AFM is dancing around you either have a bad miss or one of the intake valves is not closing or sealing thus disrupting the air flow through the AFM.

Have you had ethanol laced fuel in your tank that was more than a couple of months old? This stuff doesn't age well and reeks havoc on engines.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Yes just buy a bottle and dump the recommended amount into the tank.

Yes I would run some MMO in the crankcase as well.

The way the vane in your AFM is dancing around you either have a bad miss or one of the intake valves is not closing or sealing thus disrupting the air flow through the AFM.

Have you had ethanol laced fuel in your tank that was more than a couple of months old?

I always buy the highest grade gas. If I have the chance to buy No Ethanol gas I do. That being said - In the winter I could have had ethanol gas in the
tank while I didn't use the van.

How much of MMO to add to the oil? I understand this stuff thins out oil a little. My previous oil change included a whole quart of MMO and synthetic. I just changed the oil with fresh oil and filter - but if it helps I'll drain a little and add some MMO.

How long should I drive to get the injectors clean? Also should I pull each injector and inspect spray pattern? Thinking I should inspect each spark plug to try to find the problem.

Leak down test - I can buy a cheapo from Harbor Freight for like $40. Or I can get a decent one from Amazon for $65

Edit: for what its worth - I was getting 18 MPG with 16" tires on my Westy.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Follow the instructions for the MMO, as for the FI cleaner it often will show improvements in a very short while like in just a trip around the block, but each case will be different.

An intake manifold gasket leak might cause the ratty running you are seeing by making one cylinder not fire at idle while throwing the others off.

If you did leave ethanol gas in your tank over the winter maybe you have a valve hanging up in its guide? Some MMO, 2-cycle oil, or synthetic oil mixed into a tank of gas might fix this. You want enough to make a 100:1 mix of gas to oil, so a half quart or more.

Have your checked that your TTS is working correctly?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

I have not tested TTS. I will. I figured I'd post these spark plugs pic before I do compression test.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

The plugs overall look fine, the bottom one looks like the rings might be beginning to pass oil though.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

The compression test is not going good.

Not sure if we are doing it right. Looking it up now
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
The compression test is not going good.

Not sure if we are doing it right. Looking it up now

Adjust your valves yet?

I have said as much before... but a compression test is kind of meaningless. A leak down test gives you actual information. You don't know what slugs are pounding up and down in those cylinders.. nor if the deck height is stock.

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Alright I just bought the a leak down tester from Amazon.

No I have not adjusted lifters yet. I'm going to wait till the leak down test before I do that?
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Alright I just bought the a leak down tester from Amazon.

No I have not adjusted lifters yet. I'm going to wait till the leak down test before I do that?

Step 1.. adjust the lifters
Step 2... everything else.

In all seriousness ALL diagnostics start by making sure things are in order.

Once you have verified or corrected valves and timing you can and should move on to the next step. Who knows... you may not have to.

If you valves are maladjusted the leak down results will be off.

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Alright well I'll jump into the valve adjusting.

Here is the cold compression test.

Cylinder 1 80 psi
Cylinder 2 130 psi
Cylinder 3 100 psi
Cylinder 4 140 psi
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Spec for compression check is with a hot engine. It will not give meaningful results cold. Your lifters may be out of adjustment or not fully pumped up in which case the test will be skewed as the valves will not be properly doing their job of letting air into and exhaust out of the cylinders.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Good to hear. I just adjusted the lifters. Sorry it took me so long I never did that job before and it wasn't so bad. I watched a video and I did 1.5 turns past no resistance.

Will test further tomorrow. I guess I won't do another compression test I'll do a leak down test on Thursday when my leak down tester arrives.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Good to hear. I just adjusted the lifters. Sorry it took me so long I never did that job before and it wasn't so bad. I watched a video and I did 1.5 turns past no resistance.

Will test further tomorrow. I guess I won't do another compression test I'll do a leak down test on Thursday when my leak down tester arrives.

Were you careful to find the zero point prior to going in 1.5 turns? It can be almost imperceivable. Were any of them out?

J
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

Were you careful to find the zero point prior to going in 1.5 turns? It can be almost imperceivable. Were any of them out?

J

I felt like they were way too tight. I loosed them up quite a bit, then used my fingers to find the resistance. Then 1.5 turns after that.

After work tonight my plans are to install plugs back, put injector cleaner in gas tank, and drive it back home. My leak down tester comes in tomorrow. Any idea how much PSI to give it before hooking up to engine? I've never used one before. How long do I let it sit for?

Last edited by shagginwagon83 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
jberger wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

J

I felt like they were way too tight. I loosed them up quite a bit, then used my fingers to find the resistance. Then 1.5 turns after that.

The problem is the resistance varies greatly from lifter to lifter, or even if you repeat the adjustment on a given lifter. The point of contact can be very subtle if the lifter is not fully pumped up, while if the lifter is pumped up it is abrupt. It is easy to miss.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 83.5 (Digijet) Idle problem - surging/slugish from idle [video] Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The problem is the resistance varies greatly from lifter to lifter, or even if you repeat the adjustment on a given lifter. The point of contact can be very subtle if the lifter is not fully pumped up, while if the lifter is pumped up it is abrupt. It is easy to miss.

Should I have did the adjustments while the engine was warm/hot? I felt like the 'zero lash' point was obvious when finger tightening it.

Found this - Wild things you were part of this thread

chompy wrote:
So I ended up warming the engine up for about 5 minutes, then let it cool just a bit while I set everything up(a few minutes or so). I went with finger tightening to zero lash then 1.25 turns in. Started her up and it sounded and drove great! Thanks everyone, will do a compression test when I have another person handy and will see what DEQ has to say this time!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: