Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 shifter rod question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

I am in the process of replace the shifter for my '71 bus. I have received some parts that i cannot seem to figure where they go. They are not present on the shifter rod when i pulled it out. see pic. pic are of the rod and the 3 pieces i cannot place.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes the bar eats you. the Stranger
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

I believe the clear piece on the far right is for a different year (74-79) according to another post. what about the bushing in the middle and the black piece?

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

Yes, the extra bushings are for other models and years of VWs. For some reason, parts suppliers can’t seem to figure out how to separate the bushings. I’ve asked four different suppliers to stop this, and the response is always “oh ok we’ll look into it.”

I guess they’ve been looking for two years now... Find a friend with a bug (left) and late bus (right) and have fun playing Santa Claus Smile

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Yes, the extra bushings are for other models and years of VWs. For some reason, parts suppliers can’t seem to figure out how to separate the bushings. I’ve asked four different suppliers to stop this, and the response is always “oh ok we’ll look into it.”

I guess they’ve been looking for two years now... Find a friend with a bug (left) and late bus (right) and have fun playing Santa Claus Smile

Robbie

Awesome thanks. Any idea what that little black piece on the left is?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
Awesome thanks. Any idea what that little black piece on the left is?

Looks like the front guide bushing for 68-72, it goes in the front of the pipe bowl.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

found a pic in this post that labels all pieces nicely.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583515&highlight=

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1525874.jpg

AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

new issue now. Any tricks for getting the shift rod back into the guide tube with the bushing on? I got the first one in no problem. Trying to get the second one (front bushing) into the guide tube has proved to be a challenge.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
new issue now. Any tricks for getting the shift rod back into the guide tube with the bushing on? I got the first one in no problem. Trying to get the second one (front bushing) into the guide tube has proved to be a challenge.

The rear section goes in and slides forward until it emerges. The front section goes in and the two slide together at which point the grub screw is aligned, tightened and safety wired.
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
found a pic in this post that labels all pieces nicely.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=583515&highlight=

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1525874.jpg

In the pic, it says that the bushing with the metal ring inside is the REAR of rear shift rod bushing. My shift rod seams to be the opposite. that one fits toward the front of the rear shit rod.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

read - http://www.type2.com/rvanness/transmis.htm
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
AhnwS71 wrote:

The rear section goes in and slides forward until it emerges. The front section goes in and the two slide together at which point the grub screw is aligned, tightened and safety wired.

Sorry let me re-phrase this: I have advanced the rear shift rod into the guide tube to the point of the front bushing on the rear shift rod. But I cannot get the front rear bushing (211-711-179) into the guide tube while in place on the rod. Any suggestions how to get it to slide into the guide tube?

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

Did you ramrod the tube bore and clean it before installing the shift rod? Did you also ram rod the tube with a greased rag to lube it?

I've installed many shift rods and never had a problem. Did you get the alignment pins to fit into the holes on the rod? The rear birdie is different from the front birdie. One has less pins than the other. Plus I usually need to take channel locks and squeeze the pins into the holes in the rod.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Did you ramrod the tube bore and clean it before installing the shift rod? Did you also ram rod the tube with a greased rag to lube it?

I've installed many shift rods and never had a problem. Did you get the alignment pins to fit into the holes on the rod? The rear birdie is different from the front birdie. One has less pins than the other. Plus I usually need to take channel locks and squeeze the pins into the holes in the rod.

I did not clean out the tube. Sad I did clean the shifter rod real well and re-greased it as I slid it back into the guide tube. I did get the bushing's (birdie) tabs squeezed into the slots on the shifter rod (front has 2 tabs back has 1). I will squeeze with a channel lock to be sure before I try again. the rear bushing slid into the guide tube with no problem. The problem seems to be that the open side of the front bushing will not fit into the guide tube. the birdie keeps trying to spread open when trying to push into the guide tube. I will try to put a zip tie around it to keep it closed completely to decrease the openness of the bushing. Once I get the tip in, I will cut of the zip tie and slide it in completely.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

Is it too late to clean the tube? These get some dirt and gummed up grease in them.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

You’re installing from the rear, correct? Installing from the front IS possible but takes me about four times as much cussing.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Is it too late to clean the tube? These get some dirt and gummed up grease in them.

No it is not installed completely yet so I can go back and clean the tube. but it is getting caught up on the bushing, it slides in and out of the guide just fine.

AhnwS71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
You’re installing from the rear, correct? Installing from the front IS possible but takes me about four times as much cussing.

Robbie

No, I am installing from the front. I did not want to have to remove the engine and transmission. I can see how getting the bushing into the guide tube would be wwwaaaaayyyyy easier from the rear.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

AhnwS71 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

No, I am installing from the front. I did not want to have to remove the engine and transmission. I can see how getting the bushing into the guide tube would be wwwaaaaayyyyy easier from the rear.

oh what a challenge you have ahead of you. My prayers are with you.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie

I have no problems with having a few extra parts left over in a kit as it is cheaper for the suppliers to have one kit that fits many years and models verse multiple kits. I would certainly like to see the third "birdie" included in the kit and not have to be bought otherwise. Also if there were multiple kits you would be shipped the wrong one time and time again, don't want to go there myself.

Of course I would like it if all the kits were worth installing, but that would be to much to hope for.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 shifter rod question Reply with quote

Sorry dude but I don't see how that's possible. The end of the shift rod is bigger than the tube, isn't it?

1972 bus

I know others are different but I still don't think the coupler boss will slide from front to back
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: