Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

Well off on a 300 mile trip on Tues. My brake light on the dash has come on and will stay on until the brake pedal is pushed. If the Wbrake is applied the dash light stays on even if I push on the brakes. I looked it up in the Bentley a few months ago, but didn’t find anything specific, and it’s now at my buddy’s house, and I’ll go get it tomorrow.
It’s an 84 Riviera, so no fluid sensor in the cap, and the fluid level is just below Max. Pedal feels good, and I don’t have any issues stopping.
As I understand it, if the fault were in the hydraulic brake circuit, the light would be illuminated at all times.

I did jack the van up and confirmed that both front and rear brake hydraulic circuits apply pressure to the pads/calipers for the rear and the front.

Any assistance is appreciated!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

Grab the manual for your Van from th eresources link above and read the s3ction on control scheme and lights

My recollection is the light is triggered on sensing pressure differences between the two master cylinder sensors....which only occurs during braking
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

The mechanical e-brake light switch on the floor might be stuck or something simple like that. Check that first.

If that is functioning normally, it could be the brake pressure switch issue. You can try removing the instrument cluster cover and unplugging them one at a time and see which one is the culprit - they usually don't fail at the same time.

Check to verify, but yours should be the three-prong switch. If one or the other is bad, make sure to get the ATE replacement. The cheaper ones are apparently junk. It is an easy fix and you don't lose much fluid at all if you are quick.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

I’ll take another look at the brake switch, but with the brakes on, and the dash light extinguished pulling the e-brake and releasing it, does make the dash light go on and off, so I think the switch is working.

In other cars I have had, when there has been a fault due to pressure loss in one of the hydraulic circuits, the cylinder shuttles to one side and does not return to center until the issue is resolved.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

Check your fuses
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

(Noting you have an 84, like me)

One of your two SPDT brake light switches is faulty. Think of it like a house ceiling lamp that has two switches - if only one of those switches is operated, the light goes on and off. If they are both operated at the same time then the light can stay off all the time.

Best to replace both of them, they aren't that expensive. Keep the good one as a spare.
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

So the parts store could only come up with one of them today. I tried it in both positions, and the symptom remains with no change.
Another switch is arriving tomorrow AM, I find the failure of two switches at the same time a little unlikely. I will install the second one when it arrives just in case.
The Bentley is not particularly helpful in diagnosing. The brake switches aren’t called out, other than their installation into the master cylinder.

Brakes and brake lights work, so I’ll probably need to let it ride this trip!
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

mad.macs wrote:
So the parts store could only come up with one of them today. I tried it in both positions, and the symptom remains with no change.
Another switch is arriving tomorrow AM, I find the failure of two switches at the same time a little unlikely. I will install the second one when it arrives just in case.
The Bentley is not particularly helpful in diagnosing. The brake switches aren’t called out, other than their installation into the master cylinder.

Brakes and brake lights work, so I’ll probably need to let it ride this trip!

One of the switches must be working (a bit) for the light to change. It could well be that one contact works - but the other doesn't. And if both switches had the same fault, that could also explain your symptoms. It's a bit of a logic puzzle, but does make sense, honest!
mad.macs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

I have both switches replaced now, and the problem persists. The brake lights on the rear are on constantly, but very dim. They turn bright when the brake pedal is pressed.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

Do they go out if no switches are connected/wired?...(.The Dim- no -pedal illuminated situation)- If so, sounds like frayed wiring making a partial power/hot connection around-by-passing your switches. Not a short to ground, but a short to power that isn’t blowing any fuses since you still have the circuit path somewhat intact with the load out at the brake lights and not to ground.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dash brake light on. Goes off when brake pedal pushed. Reply with quote

mad.macs wrote:
I have both switches replaced now, and the problem persists. The brake lights on the rear are on constantly, but very dim. They turn bright when the brake pedal is pressed.

Is the dash light now behaving? If so, you now have a second problem - perhaps the brake light warning control (shown in the wiring diagram as some sort of electronic device) has cooked a bit with the dash light having been on so long?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: