Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single 40 drla jetting advice
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have a 1.6 stockish 54 beetle, and I want to put a single 40 drla on it. The engine is fully balanced with lightened flywheel, and a tuck a way exhaust. Now I'm running a 31 carb, the difference in perfonrmance should be noticeable.

Mi 40's actually have 28 vents. Whant jets do I need? Special mods on the carb for single use?

One more question, which intake work better, empi or cb? I like more the empi linkcage but that's not relevant.

Thanks and cheers from Spain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Nothing? Should I use dual 40 drla's with space saver manifolds/reverse flanges or keep thinking on the single drla?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Hello.
A centermount 40 mm Dellorto on an almost stock 1600 will be quite a challenge to get to run right, even in warm ambient where you are. It can be done of course. If you like the simplicity of a centermount stockish carb. I´d recommend a sligthly modified 34 mm Pict3 with the correct distributor on the correct 1600 manifold. That will give you a mnuch easier engine to jet, not quite the same upper end power, but easy to work with.
When I have the task of dialing in centermount Dells/IDF´s it often takes a full day with maybe 4 hours on the dyno. A stock carbed performance engine can often be done in about 1 hour
If you decide to go with a 34 mm Solex remember to use a proper aircleaner. The stock 1200 needs modification to flow properly for the 34 mm.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is how my engine looks right now

Do the space savers be a pain in the ass to get the carbs properly adjusted in the 1-3 cylinders? Should I have more space with normal offset manifolds and reverse flanges?

And how about the mileage with the single drla and duals?

Thanks a lot
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Any single carb to work right you need a manifold that is the right size for the engine and a good air filter. in the picture I just see a little cone on the stock carb. You will gain a lot if you just put a 100mm length tube between the carb and filter. This is because long manifolds have a lot of sptiback.....reversion...."fog" or whatever you want to call it. That needs to be in a tube, not hitting the air filter. the single dellorto is the same way. You need a well designed and sized air filter and manifold to get good all around performance. You get that first, then we will discuss jetting.
The cb low profile is the best manifold. It is too big for your engine, but if you get that, and change the steel tubes from 38mm to 34-35mm OD, then maybe OK.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

What kind of ignition module are you using? Is it the 191 905 351 B style that came on lots of later model VWs?
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

I understand. I'm going to search one 100mm tube to put in there. Will ot clear the decklid?

So if I get the cb low profile manifold I need to replace the 38mm tubes for 34-35mm ones. Othe thing, my actual header has not heater risers...

As I asked before, which set up has better mileage? Duals or single drla? I already have two offset 44mm manifolds, a bellcrank linkage and two 40 drla's

I was thinking of putting the velocity stacks with filters at their top

I'm actually running with an SVDA distributor with points, in the picture I was trying to put a electronic DVDA type 4 (CU engine) distributor but I had some trouble. Maybe I will try again in the future

I'm a bit lost om this matter Embarassed
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:

As I asked before, which set up has better mileage? Duals or single drla? I already have two offset 44mm manifolds, a bellcrank linkage and two 40 drla's

I was thinking of putting the velocity stacks with filters at their top

Run dual 40 DRLAs for sure. Easier to tune, better mileage due to no reversion.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Best fuel economy. PROPER set up Solex 34 mm Pict3 with a PROPER aircleaner set up, and NOT a stupid small cone filter, the correct distributor and a decent exhaust, or 36 Dellorto´s again with a proper distributor.
40 Dells can be made to run nice on a 1600, but they are really too large for an almost stock engine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

I think the best is to put a 34 pict 3 with a hi flow manifold and next jump to dual 40 drla's, with the help of the dellorto superformance book
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

The stock 1600 manifold works just fine on such an engine. It is much more important to get/make a decent aircleaner.
mcdragracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

That would have been my recommendation from the beginning just leave a 34 mm on and the stock manifold is just fine, when you're ready to step up I would go with the Dual carbs, but I would go with 36 Dells with 28 mm choke vents which is a very nice combination for your 1600 and the carbs will work great if he decides to step up with a bigger motor.
Keep it simple and running good with the 34.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

I was very pleased with a single 40 dellorto on a stock mystery 1600.

I did end up making every part except the carburetor itself. A lot of work.

but....if I had done half the amount of work to a stock solex, it probably would have been 95% as good.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

And what are the best mods for a stock 34 pict 3 solex?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The stock 1600 manifold works just fine on such an engine. It is much more important to get/make a decent aircleaner.

Do you think a late style paper element stock aircleaner housing would be a good choice? I see the snout/snorkel is removable, and could likely be replaced with a short tube with a flare at the end. My only concern with them is the lack of internal "stack" when compared to the oil bath style.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

The stock plastic aircleaner works fine and is a good solution, if you have room for it. Pre´66 cars do not have room for it.
Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Now the engine is running good with the pod filter, it only has a tiny flat spot in full throttle at low revs. I will put the 100mm tube between the carb and the filter to solve that.

I was thinking if the cb performance hi flow manifold will make any power increase with my 31 pict 3 carb. will put some single hd springs too.

Does anybody used it with the 31 carb?

As is right now, it runs faster that a 1303s superbeetle (wbx dj cam on it, 8x33 gearbox)

Mine has 8x35 gearbox, lightened flywheel, fully balanced, slightly ported and a tuck away exhaust

Aprox top speed is 150km/h

Visit my workshop site and leave a like:

https://www.facebook.com/talleresalacreu/
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Albertoprop17 wrote:
Now the engine is running good with the pod filter, it only has a tiny flat spot in full throttle at low revs. I will put the 100mm tube between the carb and the filter to solve that.

I was thinking if the cb performance hi flow manifold will make any power increase with my 31 pict 3 carb. will put some single hd springs too.
Your performance will decreace with a 31 carb. Fuel efficiency - may - be a little better

As is right now, it runs faster that a 1303s superbeetle (wbx dj cam on it, 8x33 gearbox)

Mine has 8x35 gearbox, lightened flywheel, fully balanced, slightly ported and a tuck away exhaust

Naturally. Your car is at least 100 kg lighter. Using a WBX cam in a stock 1600 does not dio much except making the engine wanting to rev higher. Add some (actually a good deal) of static compression and the engine begins to bleed some energy. Also the 1303S has a higher gear ratio, which doesnt help much when the engine does not have the torque to exploit it.
When you get that cleaner set up made better you will not gain top speed. you will just get there faster and get better throttle response.
Remember to check your afr and jetting afterwards.
On a stock engine the CB center section is not worth it unless you HAVE to replace the stock one for whatever reason.

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Albertoprop17 wrote:

Your performance will decreace with a 31 carb. Fuel efficiency - may - be a little better

Naturally. Your car is at least 100 kg lighter. Using a WBX cam in a stock 1600 does not dio much except making the engine wanting to rev higher. Add some (actually a good deal) of static compression and the engine begins to bleed some energy. Also the 1303S has a higher gear ratio, which doesnt help much when the engine does not have the torque to exploit it.
When you get that cleaner set up made better you will not gain top speed. you will just get there faster and get better throttle response.
Remember to check your afr and jetting afterwards.
On a stock engine the CB center section is not worth it unless you HAVE to replace the stock one for whatever reason.

I don't want to expend money buying another carb. Maybe I have some spare 34 pict 3 that I can rebuild and use the cb performance intake because mine is for a 31 carb.

I'm going to change the gearbox for a 8x33 one. I'm focusing now on lower revs (cruise at 120km/h) and handling. Now handles very well with a bit lowered supension and 4 konis, 58-64 drum brakes front, post 68 drum brakes rear. Will add a camber compensator, superior control bars and a brake booster.

The reason I don't want to expend a lot of money on this engine is because I will build a 1968cc

Albertoprop17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Single 40 drla jetting advice Reply with quote

Found a 34 pict 3 carb, I'm going to rebuild it and maybe increase the venturi size to 28mm in the future.

Current carb jets:

Main jet 130
Air correction jet 60z
Idle jet 60
Auxiliary fuel jet 47.5

Also I have an early air cleaner that I'm going to modify to act as a velocity stack and put a k&n style filter. The side of the housing will be drilled for max air flow

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: