Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

So I would like to get some feedback on my new long block and see if I am getting steered wrong here from the builder...

Right after I got it I made the run home on the freeway about 30 miles at about 60-65mph on a fairly warm day but nothing major (mid-hgh 80's)

When I got off the ramp and stopped she went to idle the oil light came on - Tickled the throttle and it went out but checked the level any how and it was full.

Called the maker the next day and they said it's not a big deal as long as it does indeed go out when I tickle the throttle and to keep driving it and if it still does it at the 2000 mile check they can "bump up the pressure".

As an side using straight HD 40 weight as recommend here in San Diego.

I have 700 miles on him now and any long 20-30 minute run on the highway and he'll still do it. No weird sounds or anything and he runs superb.

I've never seen this before so am worried...
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

Make sure the idle speed is ok and get the oil pressure tested . Then try to find out if it has the proper oil light switch . Then talk to the builder , did you get a warranty . Is there a repair order showing what was done .
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
Make sure the idle speed is ok and get the oil pressure tested . Then try to find out if it has the proper oil light switch . Then talk to the builder , did you get a warranty . Is there a repair order showing what was done .

I have a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty and yes the idle speed is set correctly.

It's the oil pressure switch off my original engine so that 'should' be okay still.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

Get an oil pressure gauge, bring car up to temp where the light was coming on, remove pressure switch, install gauge & see what the oil pressure is.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

I would try a different oil pressure sender before taking it back. The 67's had single oil pressure relief cases "H" cases and when they got a lot of miles on them they would do that and that is one of the reasons VW went to the Dual Oil Pressure relief cases which provide more oil than even worn out bearings need and dump the extra oil pressure through the Oil Pressure Control valve. If your engine is running too hot this could cause it too.
Oil temps over 230' F are starting to be too hot. The Single Port engines sometimes have the original heads cut for 1585cc or bigger and the result is too high of compression and so with the Iron oil cooler that they have and all, the oil temp gets too hot.
It could also be something wrong with the parts used Ie. the Oil Pump it'self and if so it can be fixed easily with the right oil pump. Consider an early 26mm filter pump. If your case is aftermarket a dual oil relief case you would use the later 71 on oil pumps. Maybe it has the wrong oil pump.

Last edited by Danwvw on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

A fresh rebuild will tend to run hot for a while until it breaks in. Additionally, with the closer tolerances of the fresh rebuild and what I feel is too heavy of an oil weight will lead to higher oil pressure at cruising speed which will bypass the oil cooler for a longer period, reducing its cooling and therefore resulting in higher oil temps and reduced pressure at idle.

Did the builder say to run straight 40wt or did you use it upon somebody else's recommendation?
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
A fresh rebuild will tend to run hot for a while until it breaks in. Additionally, with the closer tolerances of the fresh rebuild and what I feel is too heavy of an oil weight will lead to higher oil pressure at cruising speed which will bypass the oil cooler for a longer period, reducing its cooling and therefore resulting in higher oil temps and reduced pressure at idle.

Did the builder say to run straight 40wt or did you use it upon somebody else's recommendation?

Builder requires HD 40w for warranty first 2000 miles.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

You have a warranty. Do whatever the builder says.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bugheadred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:

Trust me I am!
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

What are his recommendations for after the first 2000 miles? I too am in SD, I always ran 20-50 oil but as you said before, do what the engine builder says so that your warranty will remain in place.
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

You might check to determine your fuel pump is not leaking nor overpressurizing your carburetor and dribbling gas into the case, diluting the oil. That can happen.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

low pressure when hot at idle can cause the lamp to illuminate. the real trst to determine if something is wrong or not with pressure it to hook a gage up the gage can be attached where the pressure switch is. vw service manual gives the specifications for pressure at a given weight of oil, at a given temperature and rpm. make sure your motor is within those limits. since the motor is new, pressure should be on the high end of the limits

Bug On!

ps my oil light never comes on at idle, and it is a well used motor. you NEED to test pressure. Bentley Manual describes the test.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Warren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: New long block in '67 and low oil pressure at idle when hot? Reply with quote

surfbeetle wrote:
What are his recommendations for after the first 2000 miles? I too am in SD, I always ran 20-50 oil but as you said before, do what the engine builder says so that your warranty will remain in place.

Standard HD 30 or Castrol 20w50
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: