Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel sunroof drain locations
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

I cannot seem to find the locations of the rear sunroof drains. Theres a diagram that shows them exiting the car infront of the rear wheels but i cannot find a exit hole. Id like to cleab them out, whats the best way?
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

Simple search..
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc..._chars=200

Best of those
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=593497&highlight=rear+sunroof+drain

(live picture from third link within that ^ link.. )

The rear sunroof exit is between the running board and lower rear quarter edge.
Hard to see with the running board on.. but not impossible.
Joey wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

Thats the diagran that i am seeing, i guess my after market floor boards covers them, ill need to look again. I rerouted and unstopped my fronts, it leaked slightly still after a hard rain but once the rears are fixed i think ill be set.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:
Thats the diagran that i am seeing, i guess my after market floor boards covers them, ill need to look again. I rerouted and unstopped my fronts, it leaked slightly still after a hard rain but once the rears are fixed i think ill be set.

Don't be surprised if the drain hoses are not where you expect them to be at the drain holes.
Those hoses are likely quite old and may have shrunk a bit. Causing the sunroof drains to drain into the space behind the rear quarter side panel card. That's what I found on my 67 parts car with a SR.

Another thing that you may find surprising. Is that the drain hole shown in the pick above may no longer exist. If the rear quarter panel has been replaced due to an accident or it was rusted out.
The new replacement panels these days don't have that drain hole.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

Just did this yesterday like a pro!
Bought 3/8” stiff tubing and routed the rear hoses out the back corners of my decklid.
I heated the ends of the tubing with a propane torch just a bit and squeezed them over the 1/2”? Nipples on the drain tubes.
Heh, I said nipples.....
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

Is there a easy way to do this? I have a nice og head liner and not looking forward to ripping it out.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

Rerouting? You could pull the rear interior panels out and push the original tubes out the back possibly?
I pushed aside through and put a sharp bend in it. Drilled hole in the tubing. Hooked the wire through the tubing. Lubed it up with some lithium grease. Pulled it right through. Heated the end a bit until it was shiny and squeezed it on. Tight fit!!! While I was there I ran another vinyl tube through there so I can run wiring through in the future easily.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

burner208 wrote:

THE DRAINS ARE NOT ROUTED TO THE THE FLOOR BOARDS ..

Look at the picture again...

The are routed to the lower lip edge of the rear quarter panel directly above the running board surface.
( Think Unless its a term confusing... running vs floor. )

burner208 wrote:
Is there a easy way to do this? I have a nice og head liner and not looking forward to ripping it out.

Unfortunately not without partially removing the headliner.

I NOW prefer to route the rears ... rear ward and have them drain under the deck lid where the natural engine vent gutter is.. Just makes more sense to me...

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel sunroof drain locations Reply with quote

If you feel toward the top left and right of the corners of your decklid there is actually a small area that the drain tubes “clip” right into! Worked out great for me!!! Almost like it was made for it!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: