Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Birth Certificate for Passport
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

Applying for my 1st passport and just found out that my birth certificate isn't acceptable because it doesn't have my parent's names on it. To get a legitimate birth certificate is $30 online and takes 60-90 business days to process. Sad So if you have any plans of getting a passport in the near future and you don't have the correct birth certificate, plan accordingly.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

My original one was a certified NYC photocopy with a raised seal. I had to get a replacement since that was no longer good enough.

I did it online and it took about 2 weeks.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

Why would you have a birth certificate without your parents names on it?

I wonder if the new one will have a surprise for you.

Are your parents alive? Ask them if they need to tell you something before it arrives. Very Happy
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Why would you have a birth certificate without your parents names on it?

I wonder if the new one will have a surprise for you.

Are your parents alive? Ask them if they need to tell you something before it arrives. Very Happy

Guess it wasn't that big a deal in 1962 to have the parents names on it. I do have 2 other birth certificates with their names on them but the person who handles passports said those are not "legal".

The new one did ask for the parents names.

Mom is still alive, Dad isn't. No surprises coming. Wink

I'll have to ask my brother & sister if their certificates are "complete".
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

I needed a certified state issued birth certificate to settle an estate claim. It cost $80 to get one in 2 days or only $20 if I wanted to wait 4-6 months for standard processing.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

Got my replacement birth certificate in less than two weeks, cost $20 which got me three certified copies, that was a few years ago, the cost today would be $29. Are you all dealing directly with the state or some online business?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

Try contacting the town/city you were born in , the town the hospital was in they will have a record of your birth and supply you with raised seal original copies.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

It is called a long form birth certificate. Hospitals issue out a short form birth certificate, it is free but not an official birth certificate. The long form certificate is issued through the Department of Vital Statistics and yes it costs money to obtain. Dept. of Vital Statistics is run by your state not a federal government entity. Every county should have an office somewhere. It still takes a couple of weeks to get it though.

If you have kids get the long form as soon as you have children so its on hand so you nor they later on in life have to scramble to get this done. If you don't have one for yourself do the same thing don't wait. Some states are starting to require it for a driver's license now both new and renewal.

You can expedite your passport process but this also costs more. Do not go through a service that charges extra to get a passport, just call your post office see if it is a passport location. They take pictures collect the necessary document and send to the State Department to have it done. Take a checkbook because they cant use a credit card to process the passport there.

Also if traveling out of the country see what the visa requirements are before you just head out, some countries require it to be done only in certain places and require different documentation than others.

Before you leave to head out, check what you need to do when coming back. Follow this link and it will give you additional links to answer just about any foreign travel questions you might have.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go

I know this is a lot more than the original post was about but they are very common questions I get and see posted here.

Avoid stuff like this because of a simple misunderstanding of the law.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6044095/Mo...-jail.html

Its worth the effort and cost to get your passport and have it even if you don't plan on traveling in the near future, I just had someone trying to figure out how to travel to Canada and back to see a terminally ill family member and she does not have a passport and she is 55 Y.O. This shouldn't be a thing!

Enjoy your trip!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

My original Birth Certificate has been in a file for so long that the raised seal has become pressed almost flat.

It took two or three people discussing if they could accept it. They finally did.... Whew!

I have found that getting a Drivers License in New Jersey is FAR AND AWAY much more difficult than applying for and obtaining a US Passport.

And I too agree, go get your Passport now before you need it. Times are changing and World Security is changing with it. Be ready for those changes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

The State website sent me to Vital Statistics to handle the new BC. It's the long form so my parents names will be included. My brother wasn't sure if our parents names were on his, but he said for some reason he had to get a new one too. I didn't know BCs could go "bad". Was planning a trip to Niagara Falls and neighboring Canada, but that will have to wait a few months now. My kids BCs are good so they won't be a problem.

I do have a CDL and 2 months ago I did have to take my BC with to get my license renewed. My BC was good enough for that though but not a passport.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

I just got my passport in the mail today. I turned in my application to the county recorder on July 30. 15 days for it to arrive. I just did the normal application. I didn't request it to be fast. I'm very surprised it showed up so quickly. The passport card and my birth certificate are on the way back to me. The birth certificate I used was the one my mom ordered from California back in 1970 when I started elementary school.

FU#3
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

When I got my passport about 18 months ago, my BC wasn't an issue. But my less-than-one-year-old driver's license was. I had to jump through a bunch more hoops, find some old DL's and other photo ID's and answer a bunch more questions to make it happen. My wife and 12 year old daughter got theirs in 5 weeks with no issues. Mine took ten weeks and a bunch of extra work.

I was not happy, but this is just another bureaucratic process for which there is no redress. They can do what they want and not have a single concern about how it affects actual people.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
When I got my passport about 18 months ago, my BC wasn't an issue. But my less-than-one-year-old driver's license was. I had to jump through a bunch more hoops, find some old DL's and other photo ID's and answer a bunch more questions to make it happen. My wife and 12 year old daughter got theirs in 5 weeks with no issues. Mine took ten weeks and a bunch of extra work.

I was not happy, but this is just another bureaucratic process for which there is no redress. They can do what they want and not have a single concern about how it affects actual people.

I never showed any picture ID to get mine. I did, however, bring in my passport that expired in 1985. The 16 year old kid in the picture on it looks nothing like me today.

FU#3
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

I never showed any picture ID to get mine. I did, however, bring in my passport that expired in 1985. The 16 year old kid in the picture on it looks nothing like me today.

I had never had a passport previously, and I had to attempt to find FIVE forms of picture ID whether it was expired or not. My two CWP's helped a lot in this case.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

Passport verification is very important for you, I know it may seem like a useless process but your passport is your countries verification of who you are and that when you apply for a visa to visit a foreign country it vouches for your credibility.

Passports are rated by how powerful they are, the United States passport is rated as at or near the number one powerful passport consistently and that has a lot to do with the verification process, as well as, the anti-counterfeiting features.

Driver's licenses are getting harder to get because not all 50 states DL's are DHS compliant yet, but the deadline to have this done is approaching rapidly. There have already been numerous extension to become compliant and there will be no more extensions. If your state does not become compliant within the deadline then your DL will no longer be considered acceptable to fly on airlines any longer and you will need a passport to travel by air domestically.

To: Dwayne1m, Your BC didn't "go bad" it just wasn't an official BC to begin with, but people didn't care until recently. If your children are under 16 they wont need passports to travel by surface into Canada, just their "official" BC's and you with your passport.

If you are traveling without both biological parents together I.E. your are divorced, never married, or just traveling alone there are additional steps you must take. You will need an official notarized letter from the other parent giving consent to leave the country with your children. Before everyone gets up in arms about the government getting into your business its for your protection. It is to combat human trafficking and the sex trade industry, its a really big global problem and Canada and the U.S. are working hard to stop it.

I have four kids and ordered their long form BC's right away, My wife and I both have our passports. I would suggest everyone get theirs sooner than later.

If you are thinking you want to save some money on a passport card please understand it has limitations. It is only authorized for surface travel in the western hemisphere and will not allow travel by air, only by foot, vehicle, rail, and ship.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

My BC is "an official" BC,(it was good enough for the DMV when I renewed my CDL 2 months ago) but for some reason my parents names weren't on it. My sister told me she had the same problem. My BC looks just like my kids BCs, just that theirs have the parents names on it.
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

I got my birth certificate back today along with my passport card. I've never seen the government work so efficiently before. I submitted my application at the county office on 30 July. Less than 3 weeks and everything is done. My wife was worried I wouldn't have it by November when we are supposed to be in Hungary.

FU#3
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

I will try to remove some of the confusion from this subject as a lot of people don't understand the differences between what is required from a state or a commonwealth in the case for at least, PA, NC, and VA and what the federal government requires for an official travel document. Also a certificate of live birth is NOT a birth certificate, it is an official document used to obtain a birth certificate. You either get a souvenir BC or a copy of the certificate of live birth at the hospital. The Dept. of Vital statistics then uses the certificate verified by an official at the hospital to the create your legal official birth certificate. If your parents names are not on the certificate you did not obtain an official birth certificate through the department of vital statistics period! This is commonly referred to as the long form and it costs money to obtain. It didn't used to be an issue for state ID but it has not been accepted for passport verification for as long as I can remember.

State Government requirements for identification are not the same as the identification requirements for an official travel document. As far as the United States Government is concerned, your driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification as far as nationality or official travel documents are concerned. This is because you can get a DL or a CDL without the official BC. I live and was born in PA, I do know that your short form certificate was not issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Department of Vital Statistics. It was given to your parents from the hospital as a short form certificate of live birth, used to obtain a long form birth certificate. This why when you travel abroad and you encounter law enforcement they don't want to see your driver's license they will require you to produce your passport and visa. Your DL doesn't mean anything to them, this is one of the main reasons why the requirements are more stringent.

Foreign nationals can legally obtain a driver's license, to include a CDL, in certain situations. Think "green card" holders. A foreign national with a green card living legally in the U.S. can not receive a U.S passport.

Your Passport is not endorsed by the Commonwealth it is backed by the Federal Government which does not accept your certificate of live birth to be an official birth certificate. The reason that your parents names were not on it is because it was not issued by the state it was given to you by the hospital before official verification.

I know it doesn't make sense sometimes, it is just that the confusion comes from using the same term to describe three different documents.

The reason why Passports are being issued a lot quicker than they used to is that the State Department ramp up production after the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative took effect in 2009 and now that the rush is over the work load has decreased tremendously. Don't count on this though and wait until the last minute.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
My two CWP's helped a lot in this case.

Yessss! just when I thought a topic couldn't possibly be steered towards firearms. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Birth Certificate for Passport Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
I will try to remove some of the confusion from this subject as a lot of people don't understand the differences between what is required from a state or a commonwealth in the case for at least, PA, NC, and VA and what the federal government requires for an official travel document. Also a certificate of live birth is NOT a birth certificate, it is an official document used to obtain a birth certificate. You either get a souvenir BC or a copy of the certificate of live birth at the hospital. The Dept. of Vital statistics then uses the certificate verified by an official at the hospital to the create your legal official birth certificate. If your parents names are not on the certificate you did not obtain an official birth certificate through the department of vital statistics period! This is commonly referred to as the long form and it costs money to obtain. It didn't used to be an issue for state ID but it has not been accepted for passport verification for as long as I can remember.

State Government requirements for identification are not the same as the identification requirements for an official travel document. As far as the United States Government is concerned, your driver's license is not an acceptable form of identification as far as nationality or official travel documents are concerned. This is because you can get a DL or a CDL without the official BC. I live and was born in PA, I do know that your short form certificate was not issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's Department of Vital Statistics. It was given to your parents from the hospital as a short form certificate of live birth, used to obtain a long form birth certificate. This why when you travel abroad and you encounter law enforcement they don't want to see your driver's license they will require you to produce your passport and visa. Your DL doesn't mean anything to them, this is one of the main reasons why the requirements are more stringent.

Foreign nationals can legally obtain a driver's license, to include a CDL, in certain situations. Think "green card" holders. A foreign national with a green card living legally in the U.S. can not receive a U.S passport.

Your Passport is not endorsed by the Commonwealth it is backed by the Federal Government which does not accept your certificate of live birth to be an official birth certificate. The reason that your parents names were not on it is because it was not issued by the state it was given to you by the hospital before official verification.

I know it doesn't make sense sometimes, it is just that the confusion comes from using the same term to describe three different documents.

The reason why Passports are being issued a lot quicker than they used to is that the State Department ramp up production after the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative took effect in 2009 and now that the rush is over the work load has decreased tremendously. Don't count on this though and wait until the last minute.

Ok, thanks. That clears things up a bit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: