Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Felt ring for Pilot Bearing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRP67207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Felt ring for Pilot Bearing Reply with quote

Hello all.

I am replacing the rear seal and flywheel seals on my 2.1 wbx, and it it seems that the felt seal that goes in the flywheel to keep grease in the pilot bearing is too big. In the Boston Bob video he mentions that the felt seal that comes in the seal kit is too big, are there different part numbers for seals? The one I have I got from the local foreign auto parts store, part number 111 105 311 or 225 43002 071. This is the same number as GoWesty and Van-Cafe show. Have others used seals from these suppliers and did they fit correctly? Or am I just doing it wrong and do you just have to really smoosh the felt ring to get it into the flywheel?

Any advice or experience is appreciated, thanks in advance.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt ring for Pilot Bearing Reply with quote

you should convert to the diesel pilot bearing which has an integral seal. easy mod and forum search.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Felt ring for Pilot Bearing Reply with quote

yup. order the diesel pilot bearing. 20 seconds with a step bit on the flywheel and you're good to go.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Felt ring for Pilot Bearing Reply with quote

That's what I did when I rebuilt my WBX 3 years ago. I just took the flywheel to a local machine shop, where they did the additional drilling for cheap. I had found the previous felt "washer" stuck somewhere in the clutch area.
DRP67207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Felt ring for Pilot Bearing Reply with quote

Okay, thank you for the input. I had seen that mod mentioned and was trying to just get it back together with stock parts, but it sounds like the way to go, especially since stock parts don't seem to fit! I'll grab a diesel bearing and hopefully get this thing back together and running finally!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: