Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

So I recently purchased a 74 Thing, orange, decent shape, needs minor up-keep. I was looking to change out the fuel filter, however, for the life of me I can’t locate it. The engine is not original, it’s an AE code, 1600, prob not much difference from the original, but I sure don’t see a fuel filter!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

Look above the transmission behind the left rear tire.
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

Are you sure there is even a filter to find? The factory just had a screen in the tank, so unless someone added one at some point, there may not be anything to find
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

If you add a filter don't hang it off of the inlet fitting of the carb as it can make the fitting come lose spraying gas everywhere. Instead install it on the suction side of the pump. I have mine mounted on the spare left side air filter mount.
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

I agree about the fire danger with the filter between the pump and the carb, but it makes it easy to see if you are getting gas. That is why one uses hose clamps on the pressure side of ther fuel line.

My friendly aircooled VW mechanic always puts the filter over the transmission, safer but lousy to see if gas is coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

sam_w wrote:
That is why one uses hose clamps on the pressure side of ther fuel line.

That will not stop the fitting from working its way out of the carb. Tapping the hole where the fitting goes and using a pipe to hose adapter makes for a surer connection.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

In the many years I worked on VW's every engine fire we looked at was the inlet tube coming out of the carb. We used to JB weld the tubes in or take some safety wire and wrap it around the clamp at the inlet tube and around the screw on top of the carb strait back from the tube. Have never seen one come loose. I put my filters were Wildthings puts his. Easy to see if there is gas coming from the tankl.
GB
sam_w
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

I guess putting it there, it is not under pressure, so when/if it leaks it will not spray out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Are you sure there is even a filter to find? The factory just had a screen in the tank, so unless someone added one at some point, there may not be anything to find

In fact, I’m not sure, but I’m leaning towards there isn’t one. Is there a way to clean the screen or does it even need it, my understanding is that there is a screen in the pump as well...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filter? AE code engine in newly purchased 74Thing Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
Bashr52 wrote:

In fact, I’m not sure, but I’m leaning towards there isn’t one. Is there a way to clean the screen or does it even need it, my understanding is that there is a screen in the pump as well...

The screen in the tank is the first line of defense in protecting the pump. Having an inline filter before the pump also give good protection to the pump. You really want one or the other.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: