Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank Reply with quote

Car hasn’t run for 26 years, cleaning out the fuel tank. Any page telling how to remove the tank? What can I expect that needs replacing? Any advice on what to rebuild, parts I need on hand, a repair kit or procedure?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, you have to unbolt the rear axle beam pivots from the body so you can remove the exhaust & then it’s just the two straps that hold it in.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank Reply with quote

It's easier if you also unhook the rear rubber brake hoses but I have done it without taking them off.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank Reply with quote

if it's got bad rust in the tank it will tend to keep clogging the fuel system. You can buy a new tank for a mk1 rabbit pretty cheap if you need to.
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/fuel-tank/s...hText=vw4c

The pickup tanks are a different story, can't find those anywhere.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rabbit: drop and flush diesel tank Reply with quote

If I was going to touch the rear brake hoses, I would replace them. Once I had new hoses in hand and they appear to work, I would cut the old hoses and replace them while the axle is out.

The axle is really not hard to remove. The only issues is the hardware. If it can turn, you're ok. If not, do not break the studs off. You'll regret it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: