Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Searching for new hubcaps for my 65
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

OK I need new hubcaps for my 65 restoration. I have been a member of this site for years and have read all the posts on hubcaps.

JBugs has what they say are German made for 55.00:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/113601151GR.html

and Cip1 has what they say are german as well for 80.00
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24-111-601-151

Has anyone bought either of these? I read on a couple posts they do not fit that well.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

Any decent OG sets in the classifieds?
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

some but all scratched or dented I have been working on this baby for 7 years complete body off resto so I need some nice ones

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

Very nice!! Fitting well (staying in place) is more a matter of the clips rather than the wheel cover. The worst repop wheel covers will stay in place if the retaining clips are bent properly. The clips need to be bent properly to securely hold the wheel cover on; whether original VW or aftermarket. I suggest looking up the proper configuration for the clip rather than fussing over the wheel cover; unless you are trying to determine an authentic VW wheel cover. versus a repop. Because I covered that years ago and can help with that, too Smile

(and your bumper brackets should be silver, not black, if you are going for an authentic resto. as well as the fender bead being body colored, versus black, though admittedly it's hard to find body colored fender bead Wink)

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

Have bought the high end ones from CIP1 maybe 8 or so years ago and was very pleased. I still put undercoat on the inside, but they are good and heavy and well made.

I almost cried when one of them came off and I drover over it a few years ago and replaced it with a "mid grade" one. And there is a difference
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
(and your bumper brackets should be silver, not black, if you are going for an authentic resto. as well as the fender bead being body colored, versus black, though admittedly it's hard to find body colored fender bead Wink)

What about the Elephant in the post.. the vented wheels ..
They are not part of an authentic 1965 restoration ..

Simply stating... it's why I won't use the term "restoration".. or "restore".. because rarely anything I do is "original"

It's hard to find anything 100 % concourse perfectly restored

Reconditioned... or resurrected .. Laughing

It was only original once.... build however suits you.. ... IMO.

Car looks great..

Id just get the best hubcaps available out there .. probably WW... expensive yes.. but c'mon.. it's really peanuts at this point.

Then you can keep looking for 4 perfect originals.. or better yet.. simply... be happy, drive.. and enjoy.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

I decided to order a set from JBugs the thicker ones they sell German made or not. Now that I am done with the restoration I will have time on the weekends to hit a few VW Events and hopefully find a nice set of originals.

As for my choice of the slotted wheel, I just like the look better. I have restored 4 Bugs now and decided I wasn't going Full OE restoration on this one more of a resto-mod. Other than wider tires it will look stock on the outside but interior is more custom to my taste and will eventually convert to 12v and swap out the original 1200 for a 2300 that I will start rebuilding over the winter.

I am an artist so I approached this one like a work of art.

Plan to hang on to this one and enjoy it.

Last edited by ilustr8tor on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

@67 Florida Deluxe do I need to adjust the clips on my wheels before I install the hubcaps? The wheels are new, I have held an old beat up cap I have up to the clips and seems tight. Do you recommend opening up the grip on them a bit,.... bend toward the center of the wheel?

Thanks
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Searching for new hubcaps for my 65 Reply with quote

I did this drawing a couple years before I bought the bug. Decided to change interior colors when after 6 months of searching found a vinyl that matched VW L313 Reed Green, the color I painted the car.

Before anyone says anything the drawing was from memory and forgot a 65 didn't have tank fill on the outside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: