Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Hey guys searched the gallery to the best of my ability and only found a couple of pictures of buggies with 17" wheels. Been looking for a set of wheels for my buggy but can't seem to decide on anything. Bolt pattern doesnt matter as I have to get at least one adapter already. I am running a 1974 super beetle with the front end removed and replaces with the torsion front from a 1958 beetle. So my bolt patterns are 5x205 up front and 4x130 in back so either way I have to change at least one. Any pictures of wheels with any pattern is helpful. Thanks guys!
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I am considering going 5x205 and getting some appliance mags and refinishing them or going 5x4.75 and getting a new set in either 15" or 17".
Hot Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

17x7 front, 18x9.5 rear.
4" narrowed beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Is a narrowed beam only necessary when using disc brakes?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I can't help but think that 17" rims with low profile tire would make the ride quality pretty harsh on the front. These Buggies are rough enough as it is. I put 17" rims on my daughter's '92 Jetta and it sure did change the ride on it. Is that your experiance?
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

This is what mine looked like when I bought it with 17" Torq Thrust II's
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Did you stick with the 17" wheels?
bugvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I'm running 17"s
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

So I decided ona. Wheel style. But not size. I am either going to go 15x6 and 215/60/15 front with 15x8 with 255/65/15. Or 17x7 with 215/50/17 and 17x8 with 255/55/17

These are the wheels (or similar, many brands make this style)

Here is a buggy very similar to what I am going for. This one has 15x6 and 15x8 with 205/60/15 and 275/60/15 respectively

Any thoughts?
woodoctr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I swear you could blindfold me and have me ride in a buggy or kit car, one with 15s and one with 17s and I think I could tell which one rides harsher. I don't like to go over 16s on most anything anymore. Yes, tire selection is more limited however they are out there. If you move to 17s you really need to fool around with springs..... And I think the look/stagger on that buggy is pretty great.....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I really like that style of rim, looks very appropriate on a Buggy.

I put a set of 17" rims on my daughter's Jetta and regretted it immediately. Not only did the ride change dramatically, the tires are stupid expensive! The extra diameter even with super low profile tires degraded the already poorish braking performance a lot.

If it's a Curb Queen then go for it for the looks but if you actually drive it distances you will most likely be disappointed.
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

I decided i'll go with the 15's which leraves me with 2 last questions. Can I safely fit a 275 on an 8" wheel or should I go 255? Also, what do you think the drop is on the rear of that car?
germanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

The BFG Goodrich Radials are rated for 7.5" to 9.5" rim width for a 275/60 R15 tire. So, yes, there are some 275 tires you can safely mount on a 8" rim.

Be aware the tire will bulge over the rim on both sides by about 1.5" (the tire's section = widest width: 10.9"). You have to check if the tire does not rub to any body or chassis part in the back, e.g. the dead end stop of the swing axle (if you have one). Tire width varies between Brands. Best is to check locally at the dealer if you can.

If you want to make tire size an "art": For the looks, it is recommended to keep the tire height and tire bulge ratios balanced between FA and RA.

If you run a smaller tire in the front, you might want to go with a slightly higher sidewall ratio, otherwise the rear tire will be come too dominant. (with the same sidewall ratio, but a smaller tire, the sidewall height decreases as well:
The front tire sidewall will have 215mm x 60% x 2.54 = 5".
The rear tire sidewall will be about 6.5".

This is already some noticeable difference between FA and RA. Looking from the side, the front will look relatively small compared to the 275 in the back.

Also, the front tire will bulge about 1.25" to either side over the 6" rim, so you should make sure your front rim has the correct offset to ensure your tire does not rub the chassis with the inner tire at full turn.

See here:

I once mocked different tire sizes I run 15x6 and 15x8 rims as well:

Another consideration which comes to play is the tire weight (unsprung mass) and the impact on acceleration and suspension behaviour. I checked the impact of the unsprung mass (x 4!) between a 255/65 and a 275/55 tire was equal to about 70Kg more or less. this is about 10% of the car, and you will feel if you carry this around or not.
Also the suspension performance - if in a buggy we can speak performance - is better with a lighter rim and tire. Your buggy might look cool with fat rims, but feels like glued to the ground when releasing the clutch. The weight impact made me choose a 255/60 over 275/55 tire. But this is my preference...

So, take your time to check some conditions on your buggy, e.g. front axle width, distance from tire to fender edge between on FA and RA etc...
Many things make the look, and many criteria are purely subjective.

Personally, I would consider to mount maximum a 195/65 on the front. It will have a similar diameter than a 205/60, is smaller but keeps the 5" sidewall. Meaning the sidewall will become a little more dominant. In the pic above, the 205 on the FA is a low porfile tire, and (as per my taste) low profile tires are made for GT or race cars, not necessarily for buggies (if not dragged or raced). And 205s on the FA are buggers to steer in slow speeds.

You might want to check a 185 + 255 tire combo. I thick there are some nice tires out there in those dimensions not looking too much 'race' with a slightly bigger sidewall height. Larger sidewalls was the look of early tires, they will nicely match the classic touch of your rims shown above.

One thing is for sure, there is many chances to easily disturb or destroy the stance of the buggy with the wrong tire size combo...

This is my buggy:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timcurtis67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

5" Narrowed front with 17" on it. 2" Narrowed rear with 18" rims.

Lowered down here.
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information! That was really helpful. I would run a smaller tire up front but I am using a stock speedometer so with that size I sit as a diameter of the necessary 25.25" for accurate speed readings. I realize that it is best to use tires with the same sidewall ratio but getting them close should be ok right? after a bit of trial and error last night I'm looking at 215/60/15 and 255/70/15. 8" wheel in back 7" wheel in front.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Bkhansen93 wrote:
... diameter of the necessary 25.25" for accurate speed readings ...

It's your build, of course, so I'm not saying you need to use my approach. But...

If you take a bug speedometer apart, you find a spring that can be adjusted by pulling the pin that holds one end of the spring. This allows you to relax the spring (and get higher readings) or tighten it (and get lower readings). To me, wheel and tire size is a primary consideration for a buggy. So I recalibrated my speedometer *after* choosing tires.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

Interesting! And the results are fairly linear throughout he speedo range?
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
... linear throughout he speedo range?

Well, as you can see, it shows ~2mph when actually going zero! That's the "off set" I settled for in order to have it show 60mph when passing mile markers every 60 seconds for a 10 mile or longer stretch of reasonably straight interstate highway. Besides the spring trick, I also glued a small chunk of lead from a wheel balancing weight on underside of needle center pin head. It's all due to using a 90mph unit with 80mph face plate. I did the best I could do with the 3 speedometers I had at the time. When I pass by those sign boards the police put up around here, the ones that have a speed limit sign along side "Your Speed" shown in a lighted digital display, mine typically shows ~1mph higher.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 17" Wheels on Fiberglass Buggy Reply with quote

17s on my Invader GT

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: