Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Ok so I bought a sand rail with a stock 1600 dp and 34pict3 and 009 dis. The carb took a crap first day out (leaking throttle shaft) bought an empi 34 pict3 and svda kuhltek. This damn thing will idle great but it spits and backfired and fouled 8 plugs in 1 day on the sand. Running too rich. Buddy came out to sand got it running decently every 20 minutes. That carb is shit as well. Now I've bought a set of used kadron solex 40s (the old good ones) in perfect condition. Since no vacuum Port on these I blocked off the distributor vacuum advance running it as an 009. Idle timing is at about 12 btdc full advance 33 btdc. Valves have been adjusted every time we go out. Still idles great but when u hammer the throttle spits and backfires sinless like an idiot. New plugs and wires. I'm lost please help we leave for dunes on Friday!
smeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Did you balance the carbs for flow? Adjust the accelerator pump?
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

I've got the balance tube hooked up they took to tuning with the mixture screws perfectly it idles perfectly. I've tried messing with the accelerator pumps whether I go up or down no change and there's plenty of squirt.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

How much advance are you getting with that cheapo distributor, and how are you timing it? It sounds like you need more advance at idle to overcome stabbing the throttle. But if that thing is advancing like 30 degrees, your kinda hosed.

Time it at 3k rpm at 30 degrees.. where does the idle timing fall?
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

It's timed at about 33 at full advance and I never heard any pinging either but I'm not exactly a seasoned vet at this. I've tried finding local VW enthusiasts but around here they might show up like herpes. Once or twice a year even if u pay them! Anyhow it maxes about 33 then falls to idle at about 11 or 12. Unfortunately I just broke my timing light this evening so I'm out a light for a couple days. Honestly I had this same problem with the old 009 distributor and the 34 carbs. I'm ready to light this thing on fire and cut my losses!
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Weak coil maybe?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Well your timing sounds about right, but who knows whth that distributor..

What dwell?

Make sure the acelerator nozzles are aimed at the side of the carb throat where the butterflies open and not at the back of the butterflies.
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Brand new coil in fact the second brand new one since last ride I thought it went toast on me before cuz I lost spark but come to find out there's was a piece of cotton on top of the rotor that got condensation and was blocking current from getting too the cap. Pulled it out and it goes right up. Was thinking it must have been a vibration dampener for shipping purposes
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Backfiring out the exhaust or the intake.

You need to get a ported vacuum signal installed.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
type1abody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Fuel pressure regulator being used? Kads like less than 2psi

How are you syncing the carbs?

Tried the old 009 with the kads yet? That kuhltec might be advancing really slow.

Try a different condenser?

One of the bugs I picked up lately had a 034 copy in it, garbage!
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

I have fuel pressure regulator set to 2 psi. I don't have the facilities to get the vacuum Port put on the carbs before I go but was told u can run that svda distributor as just centrifugal if u block off the vacuum Port on it. However any idea if putting a T in the balance tube would give me enough vacuum to allow it to function? At least for the weekend?
kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Check compression?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

eye wood, use bosch platinium plugs,make sure the carb flot is set right( well i would shit can those carbs and go with duel hpmx 40's) rework the dist advance so it's a fast smooth addvance ( knotch the limited weight or move the stop so it advances the same as the other weight.. or just get a cb magna spark dist and use the lightest&2nd to the lightest spring in it and the 2nd to the bigest addvance ...possiably buggest bushing and set total 3 degrees less than where it pings.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Bosch platinum plugs suck & will foul quickly in an aircooled application.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

As mentioned about coil ... check for correct ohms ( also while hot ).

And a bad condenser can lead to head scratching & these cars can be quite frustrating.

It's gonna be a process of elimination & it sounds like you are crossing things off that list of possibilities.

Keep @ it ... you'll GET-ER-DUN

good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Google how to test an automotive condenser (it's easy and quick) as most new ones are from China and are junk new.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

I worked on a set of Kadrons a few months ago that would NOT refill their accelerator pump unless the throttle was completely returned to idle. I don't know much about the Kadron style of carbs, but I don't recall every having that issue with them before. Visually inspect the accelerator pump discharge from idle and from 1/4 throttle. The stream should be steady each time. If you can measure output with a graduated cylinder, even better, but most people don't go that far.

Point is, check your throttle linkage for proper return to idle stops. If the accelerator cable sticks or is over-adjusted, you could be missing a key part of accelerator pump action.

Popping is usually associated with lean running,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Short.logger515
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

I didn't figure compression was a problem because it had its moments where it ran like a bastard above 2k back the old 34. I think I bought acdelco plugs or maybe Bosch I'll have to check but I had heard that certain brands are longer threaded and will get stuck in the head. I called kaddieshack today and they suggested checking my float bowls which I will Google and a local VW shop here suggested I go back to the 009. I guess these svda ones can give u troubles if the vacuum doesn't give that initial advance.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

Not sure if you missed my reply earlier. Which way are the backfires going? Out the exhaust or back through the intake? It helps narrow down the issue.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumbling since the day I bought this damn thing! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Bosch platinum plugs suck & will foul quickly in an aircooled application.

How many thousands of miles would you consider to be "quickly?"

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: