Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

I finally bought another bus. When I got out of the military I had to sell my 67 13 window. That was 11 years ago and finally just got another. Right now its in South Carolina waiting to be shipped and I am impatiently awaiting its arrival.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Nice!
How are the door panels?
That Aero Papyrus is tough to find.
I have the same bus
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

The door panels look pretty rough. I'm hoping Ill be able to save them. Ill get a better look at them when it arrives at its final home.

norcalmike wrote:
Nice!
How are the door panels?
That Aero Papyrus is tough to find.
I have the same bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

glad that one is getting saved..yes save all the aero papyrus /steel interior panels you can...I have same bus but a W/T
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Congratulations- I too have the same bus, but a 2-popout W/T. Here's mine the day I brought it home:

If you find you need a blue cargo mat- let me know when that time comes Smile

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Thanks! I’ll let you know! That’s a nice looking bus.

hitest wrote:
Congratulations- I too have the same bus, but a 2-popout W/T. Here's mine the day I brought it home:

If you find you need a blue cargo mat- let me know when that time comes Smile
tjewett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

I got a couple pics of this Bus from the owners back in January. They weren't able to get any more that showed the condition and I wasn't willing to drive 12 hours for the price they were asking then to check it out. Glad to see it was saved! There was another just like sitting nearby.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Nice! ill have to save that picture so I can keep it in the restoration pictures. Too bad the rims weren't left on it when I bought it.
redbug64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

They look like 60's Buick wheels...

1954 Standard Beetle
1965 Firetruck Red Double Cab
1975 Porsche 911
1984 Rabbit L
1988 Scirocco 16v
Random Toyota daily drivers because winter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Whatever they are, they look cool.

redbug64 wrote:
They look like 60's Buick wheels...
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Looks like there is a dealer sticker on it. It’s rough but it’s there. Havell motors Morristown New Jersey.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

any updates?
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
any updates?

I haven't done too much to it. I got a 63 Beetle for my wife and she told me in so many words the beetle gets done before I start on the bus. Evil or Very Mad I did get the bottom 6 inches of the nose cut off to evaluate rust. I think I better get a tetanus booster before I keep going! Laughing I'm going to try and get the panels out of the back tomorrow when I get up. Nights shifts are a bitch.
norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
norcalmike wrote:
any updates?

I haven't done too much to it. I got a 63 Beetle for my wife and she told me in so many words the beetle gets done before I start on the bus. Evil or Very Mad I did get the bottom 6 inches of the nose cut off to evaluate rust. I think I better get a tetanus booster before I keep going! Laughing I'm going to try and get the panels out of the back tomorrow when I get up. Nights shifts are a bitch.

I hear ya. Ive had mine almost a year and just started on it.
Working nights as I type this
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:
norcalmike wrote:
any updates?

I hear ya. Ive had mine almost a year and just started on it.
Working nights as I type this

That's where I am. At work.
SplitBusVanatic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

As someone already said. Great to see this being saved.
Looking forward to the resto updates. Popcorn
Good luck with it.
And oh yeah , keep the wife happy whatever you do. Shocked
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

I have finally got to start on the bus a little. In between working on the wifes Beetle.

This is the bus showing up at my house finally.

The front floor was pretty bad so I got most of it removed. I'm still working on a few parts of it. The ebrake bracket is toast. As is the bottom of the A pillars.

The nose isn't as bad as I thought and I am trying to keep as much German metal on there as I can. I cut off the bottom 8 inches. There wasn't much there anyway. With that out of the way I can get a better idea of what I need to do. The Headlight bucket support bracket is also coming out. As you can see its done. I have some parts showing up soon. This thing is going to take a while but its going to be worth it!

So fatr that's all I have been able to do. I'm hoping to get a little more done when I get up this afternoon. Night shifts make it difficult to get motivated to do anything. Thanks for looking. Ill get more pictures up today hopefully. The headlight bucket bracket is what I want out today.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

I made it out of bed at a decent hour today and finished taking the headlight bracket out. That wasn't too bad to get out of there. Its pretty much toast.

I also took out the steering column. That was fun. I couldn't get the steering whell off but thankfully I am missing half a dog leg so I was able to get it out that way.

Now its time to get the frame rail area prepared. I'm going to clean up as much of the rust as I can and then cover it. I have the new/old frame rails that I will be putting in.

It doesn't seem like I am making as much progress as some guys here do but this is my first bus restoration. Ill get it done eventually. Its just going to take some time with mistakes being made and learning from them. Thanks for looking!
BATComm1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New project. 66 Deluxe 13 Window Reply with quote

Looks like fun was working on mine today same bus but a walk thru, doing all the floors and cross members and going IRS rear...already have the narrowed front beam installed...its been in my garage for almost 4 years..cancer (human type) is a bitch but I'm better and moving on!!!

Good luck with yours!!!

[/img]

1965 Beetle, 1966 13 window deluxe walk thru (SOLD) 84 Rabbit 16V Swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: