Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

So after re-building my old weber 40 dcnf's and trying to fix the broken float tab it didn't go too well. I was also having trouble with the manifolds and the brass vacuum tube nipple, so I said f-it and ordered a the weber 34 ict/manifold package from CB performance.

After finally getting everything installed, cabrs, manifolds & throttle linkage I went about tuning.

I let it get up to temp and adjusted everything like the instructions called for.

After it was dialed in I closed everything up and test drove it.

Well about 5 min into the drive I felt the throttle sticking a little so I pulled over and put it in park. Then it really revved up, probably 1500+ rpm(I don't have a tach yet). I let it running and removed the engine lid and I could see that the right throttle wasn't fully closed. I tried to twist the crossbar closed but it didn't really want to go.

Anyone ever have this problem, or suggestions?

Also, I just realized that when I put the carbs on the manifolds that I didn't use the phenolic spacers because when I finally shut off the engine I could hear gas vaporizing in the carbs.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

When it is warmed up, grab the cross bar, and see if you can get any movement from left to right. The bar itself may be expanding more then the engine and binding at the pivot. Also see if there is room to slide the right linkage arm closer to the air cleaner. There seems to be a dramatic difference between the two arms. Ideally you want the down arms to look like this angle wise (| |). If they look like this (| \), you will get uneven amount of butter fly movement per pedal movement, and one side will open / close more than the other. If you can't move the right side, then you might have to move the left side to the right, even if the down rods look like the (/ \). The important part is to get the down rods at nearly the identical angles, even if you have to us a magnetic angle finder.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Have done 4 of these installations, and it is a install issue you have.

You need to follow the steppes to the "T" or it will not work.

Leave your cross bar on but remove your down arms and left/right link adjusters from both carbs.

Set up the ideal with the mixture screw until you have the same suction in both carbs. ( us a section of hose to listen from one to the other till the vacuum sounds the same at the right ideal speed.

Then fit your down arms the same distance from the carb on the cross bar, then adjust your left/right adjust links to fit between the down arm and carb throttle arm with out any thing moving., then test to see if both start moving at exactly the same time when you twist the cross bar.

If not start again.

Do you have the 10 mm balancing pipe between the two manifold, and your vacuum for your dizzy must come from both carbs, via a joining "T" fitting to your dizzy.

Make sure you have slack on your accelerator peddle so as not to hole the cross bar open when hot. Same as you clutch, you need a bit of free travel before the carb starts opening.

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll start back at the beginning again and make sure everything is correct.

Also something that I forgot to mention is that I disconnected my vacuum line from the transmission(automatic) in order to get at the modulator set screw and I noticed there was a small amount of fuel dripping out of the end of the vacuum tube.

Would this mean it is adjusted too rich?
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

from your picture the angle of the rod ends is wrong on your passenger side carb. it should be pushing straight down, not at an / angle.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

erikhaha wrote:
Thanks guys. I'll start back at the beginning again and make sure everything is correct.

Also something that I forgot to mention is that I disconnected my vacuum line from the transmission(automatic) in order to get at the modulator set screw and I noticed there was a small amount of fuel dripping out of the end of the vacuum tube.

Would this mean it is adjusted too rich?

Sounds like it to me. But yes, adjust the right arm set up, and put a gap in the hex bar ends. It won't fall off, as there are springs and lock nuts to set and hold the gap. Like someone mentioned above, the hex bar might be expanding more than the engine is.
Also, the CB kit doesn't come with phenolic carb spacers. On the Solex carbs did/do.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Ya, I bet if I re adjust everything and also install the phelonic spacers btwn the carbs & manifolds then that should take care of it. (Fingers crossed)
Retrovan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

The most important is that both your down arms are exactly the same distance from you carb butterfly regardless of angle.
That is that both angles must be the same, as the one air filter will determine how close you can get, and therefore the other must be the same.....

Good luck

Herman
1972 Bay Panel-van with type 4 2 Lt. twin 34 ICT's (white)
2019 Beetle Flatbed Truck called MeFusco
1973 FT Hahn SP - Project 1776cc
erikhaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

HA, took the afternoon to take apart the throttle linkage and re-attach it according to the instructions.

One small detail that I missed the first time around is that I didn't include the linkage extension on the drivers side linkage rod.

So after carefully going over the instructions and checking that both throttles open at the same rate and that one doesn't lead the other I got it set up.

I ran in around the block a few times to get it up to temp and it didn't stick open at all.

Next project is exhaust.

When I rebuilt the engine I just used an original salvaged muffler and exhaust. Unfortunately the small holes in the muffler have gotten larger and now it is getting louder.

I want to stick to the original exhaust so I was thinking something along the lines of the vintage system.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Glad you found it Very Happy. Setting up dual carbs takes A LOT of patience. However, once setup, they are usually problem free. Now go back over every adjustment / lock nut and make sure they are tight. Also check the head to manifold and the manifold to carbs nuts for tightness.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Glad you found it Very Happy. Setting up dual carbs takes A LOT of patience. However, once setup, they are usually problem free. Now go back over every adjustment / lock nut and make sure they are tight. Also check the head to manifold and the manifold to carbs nuts for tightness.

Agreed on both parts. Once they're dialed in, they very seldom need resetting.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
vdubnut_mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Retrovan wrote:
The most important is that both your down arms are exactly the same distance from you carb butterfly regardless of angle.
That is that both angles must be the same, as the one air filter will determine how close you can get, and therefore the other must be the same.....

Good luck

Herman

Hey Herman,

I see you are running 34 ICT on a type 4 motor in a type 3. What manifolds are you using? I got the CB kit and these manifolds are way too tall. I need to find something to get it under the deck. Let me know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubnut_mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New Weber 34 ICT's & throttle linkage Reply with quote

Retrovan wrote:

Good luck

Herman

Hey Herman,

I see you are running 34 ICT in a type 3. What manifolds are you using? I got the CB kit and these manifolds are way too tall. I need to find something to get it under the deck. Let me know!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: