Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy paint for vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Hi. I am getting close to spray my van. Color is L90D pastel white for 84 camper. I went to NAPA today and they said the color code is old and nothing comes up. He said bring a piece from the body and he can match the color. Is that a common method? I have scuff sanded the entire body, would that interfere with matching the color. Sliding door is untouched since it was in my basement, But as you know original paint is single stage. They did respray just the outside, below the windows of the van and clear coated. So most likely 2 stage job.
Should i look into another supplier and get a color mix based on the code?
I also quoted towards $400 for a gallon of base and another hundred for clear. Since its my first complete paint job, i am not familiar with the average cost of a car paint. Are they ballpark prices?
I like the deep, wet look so aiming for base coat/clear coat but also did some welding work, panel repl. some thin layer of bondo etc so the body is not flawless. Is base coat/clear coat would be less forgiving?
I am avare there is a body/paint section but wanted to get vanagon specific info so hope moderators wouldn't mind. Thanks.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Ohh BTW napa brand was Martin seymour paint. Sales rep said goes on very thick/nice coverage etc.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

I've heard that it's important for the seller of the paint to know what kind of sprayer you are going to use. Body shops who spray gallons a day have equipment and knowledge to handle a wide spectrum of things. But I'm assuming you are doing this perhaps for the first time and probably not full on pro equipment. So let them know that and consider calling an auto body shop supply store to see what they recommend for a home guy like you with home-type equipment.

So the NAPA guy may have a great paint or price, but it may be very difficult for you to get satisfactory results through an amateur piece of gear.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

I sprayed ppg single stage with my Vanagon, PPG can tell you who their local distributor is in your area.

Great points from IdahoDoug re: making sure they know what equipment you've got, what environment you have (e.g. what temperature it will be when you shoot) to ensure good results.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I've heard that it's important for the seller of the paint to know what kind of sprayer you are going to use. Body shops who spray gallons a day have equipment and knowledge to handle a wide spectrum of things. But I'm assuming you are doing this perhaps for the first time and probably not full on pro equipment. So let them know that and consider calling an auto body shop supply store to see what they recommend for a home guy like you with home-type equipment.

So the NAPA guy may have a great paint or price, but it may be very difficult for you to get satisfactory results through an amateur piece of gear.

I feel like i am a bit clueless and i may screw up big time. I am trying to think step by step so not to go into panic mode but i see your point.
I bought this titan https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698622&highlight=titan
unit off of craigslist. It came with one nozzle. Also got the harbour freight https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/20-o...8843.html.
i have no compressor. My plan was, once i gather the material, i mix small amount of paint and try spraying/swapping what i have if not working. If all fails, rent or buy(really dont want it because i ll have 0 use after paint) compressor.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
I sprayed ppg single stage with my Vanagon, PPG can tell you who their local distributor is in your area.

Great points from IdahoDoug re: making sure they know what equipment you've got, what environment you have (e.g. what temperature it will be when you shoot) to ensure good results.

Thanks i have located local PPG shop near by. I call them tomorrow or pay visit. Do you suggest them over NAPA stuff? I ll get all required stuff from same place to ensure they would work together.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Here's hoping that it goes well and you post pics of the progress. I shot some laquer and some Imron years ago (the Imron still looks great) but I really know very little so can't be of much help.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Also i have no paint booth. Have garage(separated from the house) which emptied already. I am thinking about cleaning/vacuming/sweeping to make it less dust prone and go commando:)
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Here's hoping that it goes well and you post pics of the progress. I shot some laquer and some Imron years ago (the Imron still looks great) but I really know very little so can't be of much help.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

Thank you. So far it has been an adventure. Bought this neglected vanagon from texas and towed to NY. Lots of engine work/learning and plenty of help from the forum. This much work, i mean just the body work/paint probably would total about 15k-20k if it was done pro. i simply can't afford it. Therefore i m not looking for showroom quality but something presentable off course.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Things have probably changed since my custom paint days, but in this case I suspect PPG still blows Martin Seymour deeply into the weeds.

Recommend wetting down everything you can in your garage and/or using lots of plastic sheets covering things having dust. I would not scrimp on a paint gun and it may be possible to rent a small compressor, varies with area.

Pick the perfect day, too, maybe 75 degrees or so but ask that, too. Body Shop suppliers will have a ton more knowledge than any normal NAPA.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

I'm currently repainting my F-250 and have learned a lot from watching you tube videos.
The Harbor freight HVLP 15 dollar gun works well enough if you aren't looking for Maserati level perfection. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/20-fl-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-62300.html - there are you tube videos on how to set them up for auto paint. Basically, you must take it apart and clean it real good before you use it. You'll also need to regulate the air down to 20-40 psi and add a water filter at the input to the gun. So add a regulator and filter to the list.
I think using a two stage (base coat and then clear coat) is your best bet. It will give you more time and also show imperfections which can be easily fixed before laying on the clear coat. I'd also recommend going to a local auto paint supply store to get your paint. The guys/gals behind the counter can help answer any questions. For what it will cost to rent a compressor, you can possibly buy one from HF. A small one should work but don't go too small - it should have a small storage tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
I'm currently repainting my F-250 and have learned a lot from watching you tube videos.
The Harbor freight HVLP 15 dollar gun works well enough if you aren't looking for Maserati level perfection. https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/paint/20-fl-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-62300.html - there are you tube videos on how to set them up for auto paint. Basically, you must take it apart and clean it real good before you use it. You'll also need to regulate the air down to 20-40 psi and add a water filter at the input to the gun. So add a regulator and filter to the list.
I think using a two stage (base coat and then clear coat) is your best bet. It will give you more time and also show imperfections which can be easily fixed before laying on the clear coat. I'd also recommend going to a local auto paint supply store to get your paint. The guys/gals behind the counter can help answer any questions. For what it will cost to rent a compressor, you can possibly buy one from HF. A small one should work but don't go too small - it should have a small storage tank.

Thanks, just got off the phone with local PPG store and told that they don't mix auto paints. My turbine sprayer/gun set up is still a total mystery. I ll do some dry runs and see how thats going to work. I am also keeping an eye for the 26 gallon HF compressor. If my current system fails, i may purchase one.
Still no source for the paint. I need a gallon of base and another gallon of clear and the other chemicals to do the magic.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

The first van I ever sprayed was 74 bay tin top camper. I used napa's Martin senour paint single stage enamel. I did the body work in a small shop and rolled it out side onto a gravel driveway to spray it. The shop was so dusty after all the work that I felt wetting the driveway down right before painting was going to give better results. Did it on a calm morning. No sooner did I get it sprayed there was a bug hatch Mad . They buffed out ha ha. The paint worked fine, put on two coats. Wet sanded and buffed it out. Almost 20 years ago. Aside from little chips in the nose from sand and pebbles it still looked good when I sold it to a samba member in jersey who drives it today. Biscay blue body and Wimbledon white roof.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

westina wrote:

Thanks, just got off the phone with local PPG store and told that they don't mix auto paints. My turbine sprayer/gun set up is still a total mystery. I ll do some dry runs and see how thats going to work. I am also keeping an eye for the 26 gallon HF compressor. If my current system fails, i may purchase one.
Still no source for the paint. I need a gallon of base and another gallon of clear and the other chemicals to do the magic.

I believe a PPG store is for house paint? You want an auto body store.
Not sure if it's close but you might try ARF Auto Body
14 Commerce Street Ext, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
(845) 471-7200

Most will mix to the color number on the door jamb or mix to your requirements.
Also, you want good atomization to get shine. I doubt an airless will provide that but I'm no expert.
Good luck.
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Ok so i was able to locate a autobody store that carry few different paint brand including PPG. My paint code doesn't help much, they are mostly suggesting to bring along a piece from the van to match the color.
Also got in touch with sherwin williams auto paint supplier. So now i have to pick between
-napa(martin seymour)
-ppg
-sherwin williams.
They seemed to be 1:1 reducer, Therefore 2 quarts will give me a gallon of sprayable paint.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

I've been confused on the HF gun/compressor needs, but air tools and their nomenclature are "greek" to me.

The gun says moves 6cfm at 40psi and need a compressor in the 1-3 hp range.

But, the compressors at HF, even at 2.5hp, don't move 6cfm at 40psi.

Is that why you'd get a regulator- to keep the PSI lower and reduce the CFM to match the compressor's capacity?

Or, am I making this too complicated and any decent compressor with enough hp can get the job done?

Thanks, OP, sorry about the semi-hijack. I want my van painted one way or another, am considering lots of options, using the piece of sheet I cut out for my Westfauxlia conversion as a test palette as I try to figure out if going to do myself or pay somebody.

Roll-and-tip interlux actually looks pretty damn good, FWIW.

Prepares to be mocked for above statement...
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
westina wrote:

I believe a PPG store is for house paint? You want an auto body store.
Not sure if it's close but you might try ARF Auto Body
14 Commerce Street Ext, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
(845) 471-7200

Most will mix to the color number on the door jamb or mix to your requirements.
Also, you want good atomization to get shine. I doubt an airless will provide that but I'm no expert.
Good luck.

Thanks i a have talked to them just now, they also do PPG, he said my paint code is good (L90D)-pastel white. and he can mix it. For the simplicity and piece of mind, i am leaning towards that route. I have heard good stuff about PPG auto paint. He also have 2 different tier. Expensive and budget. I ll do some research and pick one.
I have no solid feeling about my equipment. This turbine setup...You can check the link above, someone with similar setup reported good result with his paint job. Tip sizes for both clear/ base...Pressure rating, moisture...dust...I don't know man i am getting stress out a bit. Its probably because no solid ground in terms of equipment. Its just a theory/ wishfull thinking that i would plug the machine and spray away Rolling Eyes
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

Roll-and-tip interlux actually looks pretty damn good, FWIW.

Prepares to be mocked for above statement...

I have seen some really nice looking paint jobs done that way that have held up very well. Don't know about mixing custom colors though.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

If the gun you have will do the job - by all means go for it. I didn't know PPG was a brand of paint.

No need to get stressed about it - just lower your expectations somewhat below a factory job. Very Happy

For me it's about no obvious dents, only thin body filler where required, and consistency of color and sheen. It's all about the prep - you sound like your heading in the right direction.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Be prepared for a lot of orange peel with a turbine setup unless you get it dialed in perfectly. BTDT.

I never could get my turbine setup to work to my satisfaction and went with a HVLP compressor gun.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: