Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where to buy paint for vanagon?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
re: sanding, you will want to sand each coat of sandable primer, then shoot a primer sealer and do not paint that.

Hate to butt in, confirming you meant "Do not sand that…?"

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Borg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

I just walked in the door after doing a final 1500 wet sand and first round of mechanical buffing on my van. Reasonably happy with the results though there are a few areas where I can see RO sander scratches that I missed while it was in primer, need to get better lighting if I ever do this again.

I used about a gallon of acrylic lacquer from TCP Global. This is the same stuff I used on my 'daily driver 68 Bronco 6 years ago and it has held up well. Can't say enough about giving yourself the time to do the prep work before color, I'll be bothered by the spots I missed even though few others are likely to notice them.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Edit: Wait a minute, you're not Westina, I'm soooo confused… Embarassed

PROOF >>> Cool Borg, how's your headache??? Wink

I must missed earlier posts, had no idea you were painting already… DOH!

This is why I failed ridding comprension. Wink

Sounds good, a few sand scratches are no thang, Fun stuff. Hope you're happy! Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Hi folks. I have set up the titan ts50 and the HF gun and painted a piece off of the body. It came out nice. Paint is ok too, covers nice etc. It seems to be all about the settings and matching that setting to your speed and technique. Once you dialed that sweet spot between the pressure, paint output and such, result comes out ok. i ll post a pic later, don't have the cam now. With all that stuff sorted out, i am back to the van prepping. I also spoke to PPG and i was told the same thing, no wet sanding/sanding needed. Just base coat, clear coat. Unless 24 hours window is missed, than u will need to sand. Still undecided, to wetsand the whole van is about few hours job, not the end of the world.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
SyncroButter wrote:
re: sanding, you will want to sand each coat of sandable primer, then shoot a primer sealer and do not paint that.

Hate to butt in, confirming you meant "Do not sand that…?"

Sorry you are correct, meant to say you do not sand the primer sealer... you basically shoot the primer sealer as if it is the first of the color coats i.e. be prepared to move directly to shooting color as soon as the primer sealer layer is down (within the tie-in time limits of course). Thanks for pointing this out, will edit my earlier post!
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
need to get better lighting if I ever do this again.

I used about a gallon of acrylic lacquer from TCP Global.

+1 to both of these

My own experience and what I have heard from others is that you can never have enough light when painting. I think of my shop as pretty well lit, but man when you see the paint in the sun for the first time all sorts of things will pop out for you. Get the best lighting you can reasonably achieve while at the same time being conscious of the fact that you do not want to be knocking over/breaking any incandescent bulbs while all of that paint vapor is in the air.

I used a gallon of single stage (i.e. paint alone, not thinned) to shoot my westy. I laid down 5 coats total to have plenty of paint on there for wet sanding, cutting and buffing.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

westina wrote:
Hi folks. I have set up the titan ts50 and the HF gun and painted a piece off of the body. It came out nice. Paint is ok too, covers nice etc. It seems to be all about the settings and matching that setting to your speed and technique. Once you dialed that sweet spot between the pressure, paint output and such, result comes out ok. i ll post a pic later, don't have the cam now. With all that stuff sorted out, i am back to the van prepping. I also spoke to PPG and i was told the same thing, no wet sanding/sanding needed. Just base coat, clear coat. Unless 24 hours window is missed, than u will need to sand. Still undecided, to wetsand the whole van is about few hours job, not the end of the world.

Westina, if me I'd still wanna talk to a painter about to sand/not to sand.

Reps and Techs are going to quote marketing which is often based to the laziest/quickest/easiest/most-profitable denominators. This is standard marketing -- older/lifer business guy here -- and I'd see no reason that sanding between wouldn't be slicker and potentially much-more durable.

Regardless of brand that's a bit on the Paint 101 vein.

Glad you're pleased so far!!!

— Colin Chapman
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Sorry you are correct, meant to say you do not sand the primer sealer... you basically shoot the primer sealer as if it is the first of the color coats i.e. be prepared to move directly to shooting color as soon as the primer sealer layer is down (within the tie-in time limits of course). Thanks for pointing this out, will edit my earlier post!

Thanks SB, hated to call that out but thanks for realizing the importance of why I did. Cool

— Colin Chapman
westina
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
westina wrote:

Westina, if me I'd still wanna talk to a painter about to sand/not to sand.

Reps and Techs are going to quote marketing which is often based to the laziest/quickest/easiest/most-profitable denominators. This is standard marketing -- older/lifer business guy here -- and I'd see no reason that sanding between wouldn't be slicker and potentially much-more durable.

Regardless of brand that's a bit on the Paint 101 vein.

Glad you're pleased so far!!!

Yes. I have a friend at work who used to be a body shop guy. I am returning to work monday. I ll ask his opinion. Thanks
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Where to buy paint for vanagon? Reply with quote

FWIW, I might buy a cheap HF gun (and I have) bc I don't spray much but I would likely pay more and get a good and large compressor because I can use it for so many things.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: