Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Hey gang,

So my 1971 VW Bus doesnt’s have the frame reinforcement that came on the later years. I have kids. I’d like to find out what options there are for Reinforcing the front end. Yes I know it’s difficult. Yes I know I could buy a later bus. I get it. I’m asking how to do this to my 71, please.

Could I please get your advice and recommendations for reinforcing the front end.

Thank you kindly!

-Chuck

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
1971 VW Bus (Currently under restoration)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

You'll need to install a big ugly roo bar from down under

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Get a late bus....doing any hacky frame connectors will just cause more issues I think

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

I really dont think it would be very difficult to weld in some nice steel tubing in the front frame area of an early bus. You probably wont be able to perfectly triangulate anything, but you could definitely beef it up.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Don’t let the kids sit in the front.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

are you a structural engineer in the automotive industry? It isn't just about adding strength - it is about where to fold and bend metal and panels to absorb energy. Your seats are low back too. You need to replace those and the pedestals they sit on which are part of the wheel wells. The back on a late bus is welded together - if you do that on an early bus then getting the upright motor out would be very hard. It is really easier to just sell the bus and buy a 1973 or later if you are that concerned about it. Really.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Much easier to install air bags
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Nice image of the revised structural components, OP.

Those roo bars are just for show. They will have little positive effect in a crash, and could even be dangerous. You could get impaled by steel tubing coming through the nose.

I had a 1969 bus for some time, and as an engineer have thought a lot about how to beef up the front end. I have a wrecked 1974 here that really shows how that triangulated bracing works. It really does. That said, I agree with others here that attempts to modify your 1970 are not going to work. If you want to put a premium on safety, get a later bus, or better yet, get a modern minivan for hauling your kids around. That's what I did.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Shouldn't a '71 already have the "Y" shaped front frame? Both my late '70 Westfalia and my '71 Doublecab do.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
are you a structural engineer in the automotive industry? It isn't just about adding strength - it is about where to fold and bend metal and panels to absorb energy.

Exactly. This is an area of great engineering complexity. If you don't understand all the variables involved in the dynamics of chanelling crash energy where it will do the least harm and dissipate the most energy, you stand a good chance of making things more dangerous.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
Shouldn't a '71 already have the "Y" shaped front frame? Both my late '70 Westfalia and my '71 Doublecab do.

Yes! The triangulated brace debuted in 1970. The additional 5mph bumper reenforcement began in 1973.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

The makers of those after market bumpers won’t/can’t supply any photos of their product after a wreck. I searched like crazy this morning for them. I wanted to see how their bumpers held up in an accident.

After emailing them, let’s just say I won’t be buying any products from them. They don’t want to share info or photos of their bumpers after an accident, which really was strange. I’m a big fan of transparency for customers when it comes to safety products.

I got the “use google” and “it’s good enough for other customers, why not you” response. Sad

Looks like I’ll be shopping for a 1979 Bus soon!

-Brother Chuck

aeromech wrote:

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle

Last edited by SatireChuck on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
The makers of those after market bumpers won’t/can’t supply any photos of their product after a wreck. I searched like crazy this morning for them. I wanted to see how their bumpers held up in an accident.

After emailing them, let’s just say I won’t be buying any products from them. They don’t want to share info or photos of their numbers after an accident, which really was strange. I’m a big fan of transparency for customers when it comes to safety products.

I got the “use google” and “it’s good enough for other customers, why not you” response. Sad

Looks like I’ll be shopping for a 1979 Bus soon!

-Brother Chuck

aeromech wrote:

1979 has many one year only parts in the exhaust and FI areas.
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. I’m glad I asked! I’ll fix up my 71 and plan on buying a late 70’s model for my daily driver. That will make me feel better about safety for the kids. And I’ll have them ride in the back and never the front. Just in case.

SGKent wrote:
are you a structural engineer in the automotive industry? It isn't just about adding strength - it is about where to fold and bend metal and panels to absorb energy. Your seats are low back too. You need to replace those and the pedestals they sit on which are part of the wheel wells. The back on a late bus is welded together - if you do that on an early bus then getting the upright motor out would be very hard. It is really easier to just sell the bus and buy a 1973 or later if you are that concerned about it. Really.

———

Brother Chuck’s VW’s:

1968 VW Beetle
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Really all you should need to do is find the reinforcement that fits across the nose behind the front bumper and install it. You would then need to come up with a custom bumper to fit over the reinforcement that would look like the original for your year. You would likely want to upgrade the seat belts as well.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

My thoughts long ago was to do a full roll cage. You could do longer travel shocks and all that fun stuff.

Jut don't drive like a loon and be cautious to other drivers. You can reinforce the frame an amount, but nothing will really save you from the soccer mom turned around smacking the youngest, whose in the 3rd row, while hurling down the center line going 85 mph in a big ass "mini" van.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Really all you should need to do is find the reinforcement that fits across the nose behind the front bumper and install it. You would then need to come up with a custom bumper to fit over the reinforcement that would look like the original for your year. You would likely want to upgrade the seat belts as well.

As far as a "custom bumper", it would appear that some of the later Brazilian bays had the lower front reinforcement panel, as well as bumpers that kept the look of the early bays.

Is there an issue with transferring the entire '73+ up front undercarriage, ie. "frame" (back to the flat sections/1st crossmember?), beam axle, suspension, steering, front reinforcement panel & all from a later baywindow to a '68/'69 bay? (maybe even the front floor, seat platforms/wheelwells, too?) Aside from being a major effort... any problems forseen?
68 Westy
(+ others)
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

I get it, safety is important. But old vehicles are like motorcycles; you assume a risk with them.

Maybe add ABS, traction control, air bags, blind spot alerts, self parking features etc. Confused

Car companies spend millions and millions of dollars developing a vehicle. Funny how it takes an owner and $100 bucks of modifications to undo it all.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

As far as a "custom bumper", it would appear that some of the later Brazilian bays had the lower front reinforcement panel, as well as bumpers that kept the look of the early bays.

Is there an issue with transferring the entire '73+ up front undercarriage, ie. "frame" (back to the flat sections/1st crossmember?), beam axle, suspension, steering, front reinforcement panel & all from a later baywindow to a '68/'69 bay? (maybe even the front floor, seat platforms/wheelwells, too?) Aside from being a major effort... any problems forseen?

That would be quite the challenge to do well and have a good chance of never being completed. Just buy a later bus and move the lights to make it look like an earlier bus.
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Structural Reinforcement options for Bay Window buses? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
WestyPop wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That would be quite the challenge to do well and have a good chance of never being completed. Just buy a later bus and move the lights to make it look like an earlier bus.

Sure, for 'looks' only, "... quite the challenge to do well and... " seems true! But, functionally, such transplant surgery appears very do-able, IF, rearward of the 'cab' & front suspension/steering, the spacing of the "frame rails" is the same on the early & late bays. Anyone know if those measurements are the same?
68 Westy
(+ others)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: