Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'67 single cab seat belts
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
censor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

My wife and I would like to add seat belts to our '67 single cab. It has a single driver's seat and a double bench on the passenger's side. Any suggestions on how and where to mount seat belts?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

You're in Missouri! Me too.

Okay, your '67 should have factory installed mounting points whether or not it still has waist-belts installed. It should be a matter of finding the four body mount points (outward and below/behind your seats) and seeing if mount hooks/eyeleys are still there. Those can usually be bought in the Samba.com classified ads (that look similar to the ones in this ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1705410 ). I'd just order the brand new vintage looking seat belt sets from Wolfsburg West.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

To clarify- Even though you've got the wide(r) passenger seat- the bus is still only set up for 2 lap belts in the front.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

And if you would like to install 3-point belts with the shoulder strap, there is a long thread here with a lot of discussion. Title is something like "3-point seat belts in a split".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

With the factory mounting point, if it has large holes in there once your remove any plastic plugs, you need these adapter plugs to use "normal" USA style seat belts:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW20PLUG

Example (different seller but same idea)

After install it will take a normal US style SAE (versus metric) bolt, as seen here in the lower right of my '63 Bus:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
censor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Since mine is a single cab and not a bus, I don't seem to have those same mounting locations. In fact, near the doors, I don't see any at all. There does seem to be some threaded holes behind the seats that could be used. I believe originally they were intended for a spare tire.
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Post some pics of your SC...that will help a LOT.

I don’t remember any threaded holes IN the spare tire well, but it seems that my old 67 benchseat bus’s seatbelts mounted very near the tire well.

Last edited by Z on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

I thought all 67s had them but maybe not...

Double check underneath the front seat up in the front wheel wells if you want another place to look
Example

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Most '67s I've seen don't have the large conversion plug. They just have the regular size nut.
censor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the interior of the cab:

I'm considered having a tabs welded in since I don't see much already in place.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Shoot one showing the lowest area next to the rear of the door.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

I think he did, this photo above?

Weird, it looks like the center mounts are there in the spare tire area but there's nothing by the door
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Shoot one showing the lowest area next to the rear of the door.

They did: first photo but it's cocked. There's nada there. Strange as the rest of the mounting points are there.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

The holes in the tire well are the belt mounts, should be 7/16" fine thread. It should also have the outer mounts. Do both pass and drivers look the same? What is the underside in the wheel well look like?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: '67 single cab seat belts Reply with quote

How about a shot of the passenger side by the door? Def look at the wheel well side of that outer mount area. Would be really weird to have the inners and no outers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: