Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to start up a Photo Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Hello! I'm completely new to VW bus' and it has been a dream of mine to have my own VW Photo Booth Bus. Does anyone on here have experience with this and can maybe lend some insight on everything needed to make this happen? I'm trying to see all angles of this before I dive head first and get way in over my head.

Last edited by Mandarella44 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

define photo bus
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Mandarella44 wrote:
Hello! I'm completely new to VW bus' and it has been a dream of mine to have my own VW Photo Bus. Does anyone on here have experience with this and can maybe lend some insight on everything needed to make this happen? I'm trying to see all angles of this before I dive head first and get way in over my head.

Assuming your talking about a photo booth bus....Check your area to see if there is already one. Seems like they are everywhere these days.

FYI with a quick google search i saw 3 in TN
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus

Last edited by panic_fan on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

So my vision is to get a bus and make a photo booth inside where I can travel to events and weddings and essentially have a mobile photo booth. Guests would be able to sit on the bench and take photos with a manual shutter release (I think thats what it's called?) and print them out to take home. It would have a fun romantic vintage vibe to go with the feel of having a VW bus.
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
Mandarella44 wrote:
Hello! I'm completely new to VW bus' and it has been a dream of mine to have my own VW Photo Bus. Does anyone on here have experience with this and can maybe lend some insight on everything needed to make this happen? I'm trying to see all angles of this before I dive head first and get way in over my head.

Assuming your talking about a photo booth bus....Check your area to see if there is already one. Seems like they are everywhere these days.

I looked and I saw there is currently 1 out of Knoxville (but yes, 3 in TN that I saw). I would think there can be more than 1 in a city right?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Serious question - don't take it the wrong way:

Are you planning on towing this to events or driving it?
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Serious question - don't take it the wrong way:

Are you planning on towing this to events or driving it?

I was planning on driving it.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Mandarella44 wrote:
panic_fan wrote:
Mandarella44 wrote:

I looked and I saw there is currently 1 out of Knoxville (but yes, 3 in TN that I saw). I would think there can be more than 1 in a city right?

Yes, I just know they are popping up all over. So if you are going to do this to make money it may be a challange if you dont already have a decent start.

I do a lot of photoshoots and other gigs with my bus, but I bought the bus to enjoy the bus. The photography stuff is just a side hobby.

But thats just my 2 cents. Not sure if you have checked out these guys. they were one of the first and now you can "franchise" a bus in your city.
http://www.thephotob.us/
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Ok, I can't speak to the photo bus end of things, but I can speak to using a bus as an essential daily work vehicle. I used my bus as a daily service vehicle for a bit more than 2 years. It was a fun ride and a great ice breaker with customers - one of my favorite vehicles and surprisingly easy to work out of. People loved it! I would park the bus roughly 12/1 each year for winter work and pick it up again roughly 3/1, which avoided most of the serious heat issues. (most...)

Here's the thing: In order to have a bus reliable enough to get you where you NEED to get to, ON TIME, mechanical work will be a very routine thing - almost a way of life. I spent weekends doing preventative maintenance (brakes, hoses, you name it..), my first Winter was spent doing a complete rebuild, cases empty and split, etc. And, I still occasionally broke down and had to figure it out/fix/band-aid it to get me through my day, and then usually spend some time late night that night addressing the issue. (New-ish vacuum hose split once, new-ish front main seal gave up.... several things over the years.)

Point is: Working or using a 40+ year old vehicle mechanical and body work will likely be a way of life - it almost has to be with a vehicle that age, so you need to enjoy that aspect.

There's a video of some bears here on the site - I hated that video when I first go my VW - couple of kill-joys. But here I am 4+ years later and I have to say the video is pretty darn truthful.

Definitely not saying don't do it, just know what you're diving into.

Last edited by cmonSTART on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

They all over the place. Here’s a couple in Oregon Washington. I would reach out to them since you wouldn’t be competing with them. You guys should have your own yearly Vegas style convention Laughing

https://www.littlephotobus.com/

https://www.thefotobus.co/

http://www.shutterbusco.com/intro/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

We have been doing this for 5 years or so now, just started franchising, and have learned a lot. We also have the full setup (with the experience to know what to do, what not to do, and how to make it both safe from the bus perspective and successful on the business side).

https://theshutterbus.com/colorado/story/

It's amazing fun, but more than meets the eye using these buses as 'work' vehicles - as a few of the others have mentioned. Give us a shout any time - would love to chat with you. Cheers,

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
Mandarella44 wrote:
panic_fan wrote:
Mandarella44 wrote:

Yes, I just know they are popping up all over. So if you are going to do this to make money it may be a challange if you dont already have a decent start.

I do a lot of photoshoots and other gigs with my bus, but I bought the bus to enjoy the bus. The photography stuff is just a side hobby.

But thats just my 2 cents. Not sure if you have checked out these guys. they were one of the first and now you can "franchise" a bus in your city.
http://www.thephotob.us/

Oh yea! So I’ve wanted one for years, and since these mobile photo booths are popping up all over I mean why not also be able to make some money here and there and seeing the smiles when people see my bus roll up would just fill my heart with so much joy. (I’m sure you know the feeling)

I’m aware there also a lot of upkeep with them and I’m not the mechanically inclined type of girl who knows how to work on a vehicle so that also worries me a little bit. But I don’t want that to be the reason why I can’t have one. I’m sure I should probably network with some local enthusiasts.
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

I guess I should also add, I’m willing to invest about 15-20k between the cost of the bus, mechanical and cosmetic updates and equipment.
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Based on the fact that you do not know much about photography and not much about VW buses I would look elsewhere. They are both very time consuming and very expensive hobbies to me.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

the question is only time and money. We have many folks who came here not knowing which end of a screw driver to hold. That said, a 45 year old car will take a lot of time to get into a daily driver condition. And, cars of that era were designed to require maintenance every 12,000 - 15,000 miles. For a daily driver that means once a year oil change, points, condenser, air cleaners, check all the fluids - as well as small maintenance type items that come up. The kinds of shops that do that work are far in between and at $50 to $150 an hour it can eat up a wallet fast. I probably spent 3 to 4 hours a month average working on my bus in the 1970's. That does not include washing and waxing which is a big maintenance item. Numerous relationships that said - "that bus is more important to you than I am". So be prepared. Keep a second car. Nothing like giving up a weekend to replace a clutch and repack black greasy get everywhere CV joints.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Mandarella44 wrote:
I guess I should also add, I’m willing to invest about 15-20k between the cost of the bus, mechanical and cosmetic updates and equipment.

The bus market is exploding now because of everyone's 'vintage dream getaway van' and prices are going in excess of $20k. Which is stupid. But on top of that you still need a nice DLSR which is still another thousand.

That being said, nothing is impossible. If you're true to the dream then good luck. Just crawl, don't run. Learn as much as you possibly can before you buy a bus. Have a reasonable goal to have this done in a couple years tops. We've got plenty of friendly guys on The Samba who have a wealth of knowledge to share. Even if they are crotchety old guys. Very Happy

not an ad: if you want some consultations contact this guy: www.airschooled.com
or
Colin https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2768

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Do it.

Buy a bus take lots of pics of hotties in it and post here.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

visibleink wrote:
Do it.

Better yet, don’t buy a bus. Send the hotties to me and I’ll take the pictures
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
visibleink wrote:
Do it.

You left out the bit about posting those pics.

In all seriousness (back to the OP), if you want to buy a bus, just buy one. You only live once and it sounds like you have the means to buy a great bus, I wouldn't over analyze this to death. When I got my first aircooled I didn't know crap about them and had a BLAST learning.

There's an early bay photo bus just up the road from me, I don't see how it could possibly be a big money maker, but might be a nice side hustle for fun.

Here's their website: http://www.thephotobusatx.com/#about

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
visibleink wrote:
Do it.

Your Snap-On colonoscopy camera would make even me look good, but I've got a professional lighting setup to work with……
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: