Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to start up a Photo Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

So what I am reading is that you have a LOT to learn about both air cooled VWs and also about photography. If you don't exactly know what a mechanical shutter release is, you have quite a few books to start referencing.

Im guessing you would like this up and running in a reasonable mount of time.

SO, my suggestions is:

Take the 15K of your 20K budget, and get a good looking bus that has a recently rebuilt powertrain and braking system, which looks nice inside, so you have little mechanical to learn early on. - That way you can focus your early development on photographic requirements and equipment, buying what you need for that with the remaining 5K.

Sound fair?

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

There was one of these at a party I went to not too long ago.

They made sure to use a pre-‘67 splittie for the right vibe.

It got hauled there and home on a flatbed... Rolling Eyes

What’s That Noise?!?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

A word of advice from someone who has started 19 companies

If you can’t get a bank to loan you the startup capital to buy the Bus and equipment, you don’t have a business plan that will work.

Franchises are the easiest thing to fund with other people’s money.

You will have to show understanding of the Operations, Marketing, and Cash flow model for the first three years.

Identify your venues in number , cash from each, and How to expand.

Your local SBA can be a good resource of free help, Pennsylvania has an awesome one btw.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Go for it. Follow your dreams.
visibleink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
A word of advice from someone who has started 19 companies

I knew you were kinda nuts.

Only one company here.

<-- Helga, she slammed her dub in '53 and adjusted valves with her teeth
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

If you can’t get a bank to loan you the startup capital to buy the Bus and equipment, you don’t have a business plan that will work.

Franchises are the easiest thing to fund with other people’s money.

You will have to show understanding of the Operations, Marketing, and Cash flow model for the first three years.

Identify your venues in number , cash from each, and How to expand.

Your local SBA can be a good resource of free help, Pennsylvania has an awesome one btw.

Thank you, SBA does have good resources. I'm in the process of creating a business plan now and speaking with some other companies that are already established.
rottenkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Here is a web page that the fellow is using a VW bus for a photo bus. He also has a streamline trailer and a boler trailer he is using. Email him and ask some questions.

http://www.snaptique.ca/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SatireChuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

I think it’s an awesome, fun idea. I think it may be more expensive and time consuming to maintain your VW Bus than you realize. I would spend a few weeks researching and reading the threads here on the Buses BEFORE I bought one.

But I sincerely wish you luck!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
There was one of these at a party I went to not too long ago.

They made sure to use a pre-‘67 splittie for the right vibe.

It got hauled there and home on a flatbed... Rolling Eyes

That sounds exactly how I would do this.

A flat bed is 1500 bucks used, and then you don’t have to insure , register or maintain the PhotoStudio Bus. Not to mention you can buy a pig with lipstick cheap. A Brazilian split would be perfect.

Your first client you miss because your 1965 RGB gives out will teach you that
Mandarella44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to start up a Photo Bus Reply with quote

SatireChuck wrote:
I think it’s an awesome, fun idea. I think it may be more expensive and time consuming to maintain your VW Bus than you realize. I would spend a few weeks researching and reading the threads here on the Buses BEFORE I bought one.

But I sincerely wish you luck!

Definitely! I'll be the first to admit I have a lot to learn when it comes to these vehicles, but i'm also passionate and wanting to learn more. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: