Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
john diego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

good day. Don't know where to start, so I will start where it all began.
It all all started as I was cruising doing 55mph enjoying my day in my 74 super, when suddenly I noticed the alternator light coming on. I also noticed I was losing power/ speed at the same time. At the same time I looked
in my rear view mirror an noticed black smoke everywhere, wanting to know where there was a fire. After pulling to the side an doing some observation
of what was going on, I noticed the belt was pop. I also checked the oil
which smell burnt, which was black of course.
After cooling down, I tried to restart which was some what impossible. After getting her started, the engine shook an danced from left to right like never before. Of course after getting her started I crossed my fingers hoping to drive her home with out a tow. I finally made it, doing 35mph thankfully.
A new day is today, with the sun up, decided to pull the plugs. When I noticed all 4 spark plug wire boots were all melted. Can someone out there
please tell me WHAT the hell just happened. Thanks for your ears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

john diego wrote:
I noticed the belt was pop. I also checked the oil
which smell burnt, which was black of course.

Are you saying that fan/alternator belt was gone?? Snapped? Please tell us that you *did not* started and continued to drive it w/out the fan belt...? Shocked

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Yep, sure sounds like he drove it home w/o a fan belt (and may have caused damage by not stopping as soon as the light came on).

John, the alternator on these cars are dual purpose - the cooling fan is mounted to the other side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

When you drove off without the belt you not only didn't have a working charging system, you also lacked a cooling system.
Stuff melted because the engine got super hot, you cooked it.

Last edited by windfish on Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Just hard to believe - he shows as having been a member for 6 years!!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

When that alternator light comes on you NEED to stop immediately and see what's going on. The alternator is driven by the belt. The fan is on the other end of the alternator shaft, therefore the fan is driven by the belt.

If you drove with the belt off, you massively overheated your engine.

If the belt ever breaks, you must replace it before driving again or you must tow if you don't have a spare belt. If you drove it without a belt, you likely have severely damaged the engine.
Saucy Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Sounds like the belt snapped and caused your meltdown of the plug wires, and as stated by others here, you shouldn't have driven without a belt (they sell emergency belts for bugs online and cheap, a very inexpensive save) you've probably bent push rods, and warped the heads and bent valves by now, if the block isn't scored and damaged due to the excessive heat you'll end up probably having to rebuild the whole thing, or get a replacement for about the same price....

sorry to hear about this, its always a sad day to hear when a bug dies.....

Saucy Jack

78 SB CHAMPAGNE II
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Hello,
Wow, really?.
Some of the questions asked on these forums amaze me... But.
It does sound like you cooked it "real good", though..... to answer the question.
Well, at least you'll know next time... this may be a costly lesson to learn. I hope the others and I are wrong but, I doubt it.
It is very important to have a spare fan belt with you or AAA towing.
Hope it works out for you....
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Post pictures of the engine, melted wires, etc.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Belt breaks, engine cooling fan that runs off the generator shaft, inside the fan shroud stops turning. Simular effect to losing the water pump belt on a water cooled car. Motor overheats.

If that warning light illuminates, the engine should be immediately stopped. This warning I believe is in the owners glove box manuals, copies of which can be found under the "technical" tab on samba home page.

Your engine appears from your description to have been damaged. If she still turns over, then do the oil change, examine sump for debris, if ok, proceed to valve adjustment, if a valve is way off, head damage is likely, if valves ok, then run with new properly adjusted fan belt. of course repair any melted wires. then Id try to assess by driving if she survived ok or not. a compression test is in order, along with an oil pressure test, leak down test, before the motor can again be deemed to be reliable.

if debris found in sump, if valve(s) found to be way out of clearance, if compression test is out of specification, if oil pressure is found to be low, or if leak down test fails, then the engine should be taken apart for repair. If good, although excessive wear may have occurred, you dodged the bullet and still have a running reliable motor.

The fact that the engine got so hot as to smoke black, and the appearance from the story that Bug was driven on with no belt on the fan for some good time, makes it likely some real damage was done, sorry Crying or Very sad

Bug On, and Best of Luck!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

so...where did he go???
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
If that warning light illuminates, the engine should be immediately stopped. This warning I believe is in the owners glove box manuals, copies of which can be found under the "technical" tab on samba home page.

When my mom was driving my '71 convertible in the late 1970s, I had instructed her to pull over immediately should that either warning light come on. Well, the belt broke, Arizona summer heat, she drove a few miles. No damage luckily, unless the oil cover stud vibrating out at 32 years while Mrs. Cusser ignored the oil warning light and the oil pressure gauge was connected to that. Yes, all the oil leaked out, and yes she kept driving, about 4 miles until it stalled (she "was scared"). I found some bearing slivers on the oil screen, fixed the stud, no knocking as we drove that 3 more years. Now I rebuilt it, and it powers my 1970 sedan.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

You should access the "Owner's Manuals" here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type1.php

Scroll down to the 1974 section and start reading up. Also print out two copies, one for home and other for glove box.

Here is page 12 of one of those showing the info on the gen/alt warning light:

Generally speaking the warning lights in the speedo are not like your GPS telling you that on the left is a McDonalds that if you choose to turn now to get a burger.

Instead the warning lights are more like your GPS telling you that the bridge ahead has collapsed, so you should pull over and park, to skip driving off the remains of the bridge to your screaming death. This is why the OM states "Stop at once.", and "Turn the engine off!.

Instead of just tightening or replacing a $15.00 belt, you now need to spend at least $1,000 to $1,500 to rebuild the engine.

We have all made stupid mistakes, walk it off and take some time to start reading up on your VW to prevent easily avoided situations like this from happening.
john diego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Guys I should have mention it was my 16 year old son who was driving. We reside in TN where he got his license. So as a single father who loves his son,
Blesses his son with the best gift ever.He called me an told me what happened. I had to go to Auto zone to replace the belt, this was late night that I got to him at the side of the road. I should started off by saying My SON was the one driving. he told me I did the ground work.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

It’s an honest mistake and I wouldn’t give anyone grief over it, rather let it be a teaching moment. I’ve burned up a few myself. 😀
john diego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

thanks for the quick response guys. I will have my son read all posts. I don't
know what saddens me most, the fact of what my son did or to know I had the bug shipped all the way from California two months after having a new engine put in 7yrs ago.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

So many people are used to modern cars, where the check engine light comes on for any stupid reason to lure you to the dealer, they don't understand that there was a time when the "idiot light" never came on unless destruction of the engine was imminent.

It's an honest mistake to make when you've been conditioned to modern warning lights not being a big deal.

That said, if you know the belt broke, the overheating of the engine shouldn't be much of a mystery. Do a compression test at least and check valve clearances. Or better, pull the heads and inspect the valves and cylinder bores.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

This will likely be an expensive lesson but going forward the instruction to you son should be "if either of those lights ever come on while driving, pull over and shut off the engine immediately"
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
This will likely be an expensive lesson but going forward the instruction to you son should be "if either of those lights ever come on while driving, pull over and shut off the engine immediately"

That repeated instruction fell upon deaf ears in my previously-stated experiences with both my mom and with Mrs. Cusser !!!

By the way, apparently the modern check engine/service engine soon light is multipurpose, with yellow-orange steady for emission related, flashing yellow for more severe issues, and red for "danger, Mr. Robinson" pull over condition.

Mrs. Cusser swears that when the 2005 Yukon radiator burst in May that the check engine light came on, and that the coolant temperature never read high, she pulled over immediately. New radiator & coolant installed, no apparent other damage.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

That repeated instruction fell upon deaf ears in my previously-stated experiences with both my mom and with Mrs. Cusser !!!

He will be more likely to follow it if he has to pay for the rebuild! Laughing

Quote:

Mrs. Cusser swears that when the 2005 Yukon radiator burst in May that the check engine light came on, and that the coolant temperature never read high, she pulled over immediately. New radiator & coolant installed, no apparent other damage.

It's quite possible, the funny thing about coolant temperature sensors in water-cooling systems is that they work fine...as long as they are submerged in coolant. But if a hose bursts and drains the coolant the gauge can read fine as the engine melts down from lack of coolant.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: all 4 spark plug wire boots melted ??? AND more Reply with quote

Sometimes the lasting lessons are the ones that bite us a bit, I'm sure that you'll get it sorted out.

One comment is that for my older eyes I added an led wired in with the speedometer low oil pressure light. May be something to think about, it's a no-miss light compared to the stock light, especially in bright sunlight.

LED installed in dash and covered with clear plastic grommet as a lens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: