Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bigger tires, changing gearing.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Are you saying you don't like KO2s, Waldi?

I ask as ours are absolutely fabulous.

I have no idea about KOs.
They could be golden in this size and i would not use them.
Mine are Continatal Cross Contact AT
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess it depends on whether one goes remote, then.

Mine are great on the highway, too. The only Contis I ever used were on a racing kart -- and they sucked, too. Wink

But I imagine they do make good tires for other things.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

So, I did the rolling test just now. My 215/70R16's (27.8" Diameter & 746 Revs/MI per BFG) measured at 254" for 3 full revolutions, or 84.66667"/Rev, which is 748 Revs/MI. So, the BFG website numbers (746) seem fairly accurate.

Based on that, making the jump to their 235/70R16 (28.9" Diameter, 718 Revs/MI) results in a theoretical 3.75% reduction in RPM's. Seems somewhat benign, but I guess there's only one way to find out. Smile
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid - may I highly suggest researching the Cooper AT3 in this size. I changed from KO2s and would never go back. The tread lasts longer (silicone based), is quieter, and performs better off-road. They’re also lighter. If you do a bit of research you’ll find that expedition portal and other reviewers found them tops as well.
Cheers!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Cooper makes tires for racing series a couple drivers I know race in, so I'm all ears in supporting Cooper.

The Big One: D-Rated???

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

235/70R16 KO2's are on. Small but noticeable difference around town. I can notice being able to run it out a bit longer before shifting. Will drive to work tomorrow on freeway to get a sense of the lower RPM's at speed, then off to Bend for 12 days Friday. The real test comes on I-5 going over the Siskyous, Shasta and doing some off roading above my house.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Syncronoid - may I highly suggest researching the Cooper AT3 in this size. I changed from KO2s and would never go back. The tread lasts longer (silicone based), is quieter, and performs better off-road. They’re also lighter. If you do a bit of research you’ll find that expedition portal and other reviewers found them tops as well.
Cheers!

What a coincidence.
I just bought those Cooper AT3 in 225/70/r16.. off TireRack.com

Have only driven maybe 10 miles so far.
Needs an alignment.

I think that tire is discontinued though?

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Pcforno wrote:
Cheers!

What a coincidence.
I just bought those Cooper AT3 in 225/70/r16..

I think that tire is discontinued though?

Nope still there

http://us.coopertire.com/tires/discoverer-a-t3-suv.aspx
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
235/70R16 KO2's are on. Small but noticeable difference around town. I can notice being able to run it out a bit longer before shifting. Will drive to work tomorrow on freeway to get a sense of the lower RPM's at speed, then off to Bend for 12 days Friday. The real test comes on I-5 going over the Siskyous, Shasta and doing some off roading above my house.

You should monitor you MPG so IDDoug can tell you how you are wrong when it’s higher at cruising speed Popcorn
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:

Lol, you are not able, but you need.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Pcforno wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:

You should monitor you MPG so IDDoug can tell you how you are wrong when it’s higher at cruising speed Popcorn

Sure, only way to do so is monitor it with back wind or downhills lol
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Who here was looking to perhaps acquire my barely-used 215/70R16 BFG KO2's??? Please message me. Thx.
Pcforno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Or put them on Craig’s list. Mine sold the same day
TheMonk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

levi wrote:
All this bantering about and nobody brought up the most fuel efficient rpm to be driving at?

Anyone want to guess what that is?

If a change in tire diameter brought a driver into that perfect point, where otherwise he was way off, I could see it helping if other factors were not also introduced that negated that effect.

My 2.0 a/c fi has a sweet-spot of 3200 rpm, that's making around the 97kph (61mph) gps speed. 215/75x14 lt on the rear. That's on the flat, at sea level, achieving around the 12litres per 100klm or 19(US)mpg. 98 octane fuel in a campervan with 2 onboard. I tend to cruise mostly at around that speed on the highways.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

The rpm where torque and h.p. meet, that should be it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

There is nothing special about the rpm where hp and torque "meet". Power = Torque X Distance (rpms). Where the two cross on the graph is just a function of the units used. With horsepower and foot-pounds used, the graphs always meet at 5252 rpms.

Link

The most efficient rpm to drive at (highest BSFC) is typically max torque. The rpm where you have the most power is, yup you guessed it, max horsepower.

Link
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Air density per water grains vs. power, air density via humidity, altitude, and drag, also play into finding the sweet spot of mpg.

What I do know as fact over theory is what my per-every-tank mpg math tells me, that when traveling the same overall speeds, adjusting for speedo error, we got better mileage with taller tires. I suspect the biggest factors in our case were changed gearing (via taller tires) bringing less revs.

We also changed the R&P to accelerate better and changed 4th to about 50 less revs, both likely inconsequential in us being on the open road more often than in city traffic. I believe aero to not be a significant factor, as in I drive at matched speeds to the 14s, and with such an under-powered car it is extremely likely VW weighed mpg vs. selling a rig with the feel of an even-more underpowered engine.

— Colin Chapman
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Any results so far?
Just wondering if the 225(235)/70 R16 tires on 7x16 ET30 rim will fit stock Syncro without rubbing.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

I have the 235/70R16's on 16" Mefro steelies with 2" lift and FoxShox. Very slight rubbing on higher speed entry maneuvers, but nothing that would cause any noticeable impact or damage to the wheel wells/arches.

vik wrote:
Any results so far?
Just wondering if the 225(235)/70 R16 tires on 7x16 ET30 rim will fit stock Syncro without rubbing.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger tires, changing gearing. Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Who here was looking to perhaps acquire my barely-used 215/70R16 BFG KO2's??? Please message me. Thx.

Why the decision to change tires?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: