Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Insurance Question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Insurance Question Reply with quote

I bought a 4 seater sand rail that I am converting to a dual purpose on/off road buggy. I have a title and it is plated, but I am having trouble getting it insured. so far the two insurance companies I use for my cars have declined stating they don't cover anything used off-road. I'm less concerned about collision coverage, especially when off road, but I am concerned about theft insurance.
Any ideas?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

My 2014 spec dune has a agreed value policy thru progressive. I did not menion off road, but I am sure the policy has the racing/displays of speed mumbo jumbo. I offered pics, but they declined.
Geico once gave me liability only, but when I went to put it on the road again after it was hit, they would not touch it.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
My 2014 spec dune has a agreed value policy thru progressive. I did not menion off road, but I am sure the policy has the racing/displays of speed mumbo jumbo. I offered pics, but they declined.
Geico once gave me liability only, but when I went to put it on the road again after it was hit, they would not touch it.

This. My regular insurance would not touch my rail.

At the urging of the local rock crawling group I went to a little mom n pop underwriting for progressive insurance office that caters to the low income just get a card side of town.

While I didn’t give a bunch of details suffice to say they’ll insurance anything if your money is green.
KelleyZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

I use progressive. Once I got my state assigned VIN's (for becoming street legal) I called up Progressive. They insured me no problem. All they wanted was me to send them a copy of my registration once it became street legal which I emailed to them. Covered with state required minimum coverages.
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I will try Progressive. I might still have a problem as the title shows it as an All Terrain Vehicle.
Mutterranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

I use State Farm. If it’s street legal, no problem.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

If your title reads all terrain vehicle, you might be hosed.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

Especially in Commiefornia. Both DMV-wise and insurance-wise.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:

I didn’t think any open body fame rail was road legal in CA.
MFE 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

Fenix wrote:
dustymojave wrote:

I didn’t think any open body fame rail was road legal in CA.

I think that's true. My buggy was plated and titled in AZ as an All Terrain Vehicle. I've registered it in South Dakota. Still not legal to drive on the street in CA, but will work fine for it's future home in the Baja.
I'm going to look into Progressive. They write coverage for ATV's. Maybe I can get it covered at stated value with an appraisal.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Insurance Question Reply with quote

It's not the open frame issue in California. And even if it were, fiberglass or sheet aluminum or steel body panels would fix that.

Windshield, fenders, wipers, turn indicators, the vintage of the engine (for smog considerations), bumpers, seat belts (DOT approved), DOT approved road headlights, parking brake, tail lights and reflectors are issues. 4-wheel brakes are required. Many of those are commonly covered in a rail buggy being considered for street use. The others are not big problems. The government employees and the general mindset of the government employees in California are the BIG issues. There is a set number of "Special Construction" licenses available in California each year. But as most DMV employees and others such as Highway Patrol officers who get involved have NO CLUE about the regulations that apply and tend to get their personal thoughts on the subject into the middle of the process. Rolling Eyes

I've seen a few street registered rails in California over the last few decades. My original plan for my Hi Jumper was to street register it. I got diverted into making it a race car by some pals. I REALLY WISH that I had registered it for the street at the time even though it was built to race. It would have been vastly easier.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: