Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Got a promotion at work
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Not that anyone cares, but I知 excited haha. Been at my job for 3 1/2 years. Started as a mechanic. Then became a parts guy cause I was tired of laying on my back turning a wrench. Then became the service writer and estimator. Now I知 the service manager here and in charge of 12 service techs. I値l still be doing the estimating as well. Crazy what can happen when you show up on time everyday and give 100%. Also making $10 more per hour now than I was 3 1/2 years ago with room to grow. Feels good to know that my company appreciates me and believes in my potential. Best part is now I値l have more money for bug parts hahaha.
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Congrats! My job just gives me more shit to do when I show up on time and give 100%. I stopped giving the 100%. Now I just show up to work on time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doregan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Congrats! Now learn the business side of the business as well and you might open your own shop.

Good, conscientious work usually does pay off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Congratulations CAG. My hat's off to you for your dedicated hard work.
The new manager position must be a great feeling.

We now make about the same amount per hour.
But I have to babysit childish contractors and drama generating vendors that have no end to the bullshit that they can spew forth on a daily basis.
I deal with it. But it gets tiring.

Keep up the great work. Someday you'll own then place!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

At my work, it is a job well done if I don't kill anybody. Laughing

I do my best to save them all if I can so they can live another day to enjoy their family.

I will just be the unsung hero. I take pride in that. Someone else can take the credit.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Got a promotion at work. Not that anyone cares, but I知 excited haha. Been at my job for 3 1/2 years.

Wrong - we DO care, congratulations.

In my 40 year career I got like 10 promotions, started as a technician in the Analytical Chemistry department right out of college, showed an aptitude for the business, eventually wound up managing the department for a dozen years; now retired and living off pensions and 401k, will sign up for social security soon. So every step counts.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Nice that you are moving on up. Of course retired here...Checks show up twice a month. Worked my 40 yrs and done. They wanted me to stick around but no increase in pay so why stay.
Sounds like you Cali are employed with by some sorta automotive repair shop...a larger one that may not be mom and pop. Keep up the good work and buy the VW parts.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
Not that anyone cares, but I知 excited haha. Been at my job for 3 1/2 years. Started as a mechanic. Then became a parts guy cause I was tired of laying on my back turning a wrench. Then became the service writer and estimator. Now I知 the service manager here and in charge of 12 service techs. I値l still be doing the estimating as well. Crazy what can happen when you show up on time everyday and give 100%. Also making $10 more per hour now than I was 3 1/2 years ago with room to grow. Feels good to know that my company appreciates me and believes in my potential. Best part is now I値l have more money for bug parts hahaha.

It痴 an odd place to be some will still want to be your buddy while others will see you as management. Looking at where I came in 30 years ago all the front line supervisors and managers worked up from the floor as mechanics, we thought this gave them greater understanding and appreciation for what we deal with. Then the company got rid of all the management and hired whiz kids off the street who had little to no idea how to manage. Mismanagement eventually lead to bankruptcy but the guys at the top didn稚 care they hauled ass with golden parachutes. Sorry to veer off, congrats and watch your back.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

I'm gonna suggest that with your promotion and salary increase you also increase your IRA or 401(K) contributions. I'm recently retired at 57 because I always invested in my retirement and am financialy comfortable.
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

That is awesome...congrats on the new position...yes start saving now so you can retire early...make sure to squirrel away some money also for future vintage VW parts purchases...

You show up...you do a good job and you get rewarded....that is the way things are supposed to run in my world at least...

Mikec
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Congratulations on the promotion, hard work does pay off, maybe not always in a promotion, maybe it does seem like it only bought you more work to do. But a hard worker will get the promotions when they come up and preferential treatment when requesting days off to go the VW shows or maybe dodging getting laid off when the work slows down. I don't always verbalize a job well done, but I do reward it however I can, you never know when your supervisor is watching.

I have always heard that you should invest 50% of your raise to 401K or IRA, whatever your choice of growing wealth you choose and use the other 50% to increase your standard of living. If you don't it makes the saving habit harder to maintain.

But obviously someone noticed your work ethic and now you get to reap the rewards!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Congrats!

I ran a similar path back in the 70's and 80's.

Once I hit Service manager 1982/83 it became obvious I had a no win job.

The dealership owner wasn't happy because he wanted more money.

The mechanics weren't happy because every work order wasn't a high profit task.

The Customers..... well they aren't ever happy are they?

The manufacturer complained about warranty claims.

The parts guy? He didn't give a rip.

The Wife? "You're never home"

The choices were......
Alcohol
Wife beating
Or
Quit

I chose to quit and entered a less stressful occupation.

Married 43 years, I'm sober and quite relaxed........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Congrats!

I ran a similar path back in the 70's and 80's.

Once I hit Service manager 1982/83 it became obvious I had a no win job.

The dealership owner wasn't happy because he wanted more money.

The mechanics weren't happy because every work order wasn't a high profit task.

The Customers..... well they aren't ever happy are they?

The manufacturer complained about warranty claims.

The parts guy? He didn't give a rip.

The Wife? "You're never home"

The choices were......
Alcohol
Wife beating
Or
Quit

I chose to quit and entered a less stressful occupation.

Married 43 years, I'm sober and quite relaxed........

Dave

As a parts guy, this is dead accurate. We don't give a rip. Wink
I'm glad your choices took you to a happy ending. I've seen a lot of people in that scenario make the other choices.
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I'm gonna suggest that with your promotion and salary increase you also increase your IRA or 401(K) contributions. I'm recently retired at 57 because I always invested in my retirement and am financialy comfortable.

Yes what he said! Make sure to up your retirement contributions right away. Future you will be very appreciative. If you need more funds later on, you can adjust your retirement contributions to help you along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

If you want to save a lot of money, don't have children. Trust me on that.

I pushed two kids thru school and both have no debts after graduation. I told them that was gift from mom and me. I look back now on the cost - told my wife we could have been a lot better off. Laughing

But I love my kids- glad to give them all I could possibly give them. I brought them into this world after all. My kids saved a whole year's salary before they went out on their own. Also my gift to them.

Now it is time for our old age. Been wanting a farm for as long as I can remember. 300 acres plus is about right. cannot wait.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
\

Maybe I am mixing up Samba members, but I thought you had gone into law enforcement awhile back. It does sound as though you are working at a car repair shop/dealership.

Congrats on the move-on-up!
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Yes what he said! Make sure to up your retirement contributions right away. Future you will be very appreciative. If you need more funds later on, you can adjust your retirement contributions to help you along.

X27 on this!
I retired over 10 years ago from the Federal Government. My pension take-home was about 85% of my working take-home. We set up a draw from my 403(b) (public employee version of a 401(k)) to make up the difference. My rough calculation was that the 403(b) would last about 8 years, then we would draw from other sources if need be. I kept the fund invested heavily in stocks.
Over 10 years later that account still has over 80% of the value the day I retired.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
If you want to save a lot of money, don't have children. Trust me on that.

I pushed two kids thru school and both have no debts after graduation. I told them that was gift from mom and me. I look back now on the cost - told my wife we could have been a lot better off. Laughing

But I love my kids- glad to give them all I could possibly give them. I brought them into this world after all. My kids saved a whole year's salary before they went out on their own. Also my gift to them.

Same here. Our two younger kids went to Berkeley for 4 years and have no debt. They both have many friends who are buried in student loan debt. They are grateful.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
\

Maybe I am mixing up Samba members, but I thought you had gone into law enforcement awhile back. It does sound as though you are working at a car repair shop/dealership.

No law enforcement for me. I work at a Great Dane trailer dealership.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Got a promotion at work Reply with quote

Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Cali_Army_Guy wrote:
\

No law enforcement for me. I work at a Great Dane trailer dealership.

Congrats !! This country moves by Truck & TRAILER !! Great Dane is a well know company, and as others have said, keep pumping into the retirement account, the time goes by quick, before you know it, you will need it....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: