Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Beetle No headlighs or break lights.
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BriAn!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: 1971 Beetle No headlighs or break lights. Reply with quote

I know, I know. Another electrical question.

Anyway. I'm slightly dyslexic so I have a hard time processing the complete wiring diagram.

I got the blinkers and 4 way flashers working except the left blinker will only work when I hold it half way. I can work with that.

The main problem is the break lights don't work and the head lights don't work.

Are there any simpler diagrams or trouble shooting processes any of you have so I can work through them in a more logical manner?
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle No headlighs or break lights. Reply with quote

I get overwhelmed by the completeness of wiring diagrams myself sometimes.

My speedo lights were wired to be on as long as the key was on and i only had park / run lights when the headlights were on. What was the PO thinking? I got lazy & grabbed the easiest source available to me ... a Chiltons from my local FLAPS. Turns out it has the wiring diagrams broke down into different sections. I was able to rewire my headlight switch correctly. I found a picture of the switch on good-ole-google. The hardest part was fiddling with the switch thru the radio hole after removing my working cassette player ... lol.

Sorry I don't have a ready resource or link. I think I had some help from a knowledgeable person on here but it's been a while.

Posting the year & make of your bug will help ... ( SB )? Mine turns out to be a standard '71 with a '72 column. Go figure !

Good luck ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Beetle No headlighs or break lights. Reply with quote

‘71 was the first year that the headlights were powered thru the ignition switch if you have a 12-fuse fusebox. This means the igntion must be in the ON/RUN position for the headlights to work (parking lights are STILL powered directly from the battery so work with or w/o the ignition being ON). So, did you run your tests with the ignition switch ON?

Next, check the fuses for the headlights (there are four) and the brake lights? Use a test light to test of current at both ends of the fuses. If you have current at only one end then the fuse is bad. It may not be blow, it may just have a bad connection. Wire brush the ends and the clips that hold them in place.

Look under the steering column to where the bottom of the ignition switch is located. Find the wires coming off the ignition switch. Is there a black/yellow wire? This is the X circuit that powers the headlights. With the ignition switch in the ON position test this wire for current.

For easier diagrams for the different parts of the Beetle and Bus... check out Speedy Jim’s site and go to the Electrical Section. His diagrams are much easier to understand than the stock wiring diagrams.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: