Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Hi Folks! I’m interested in seeing photos of original interiors of bugs if you still have yours. I just saw Seinfeld on the Jay Leno show with a couple of his Porsches, and he’s a big believer in not removing anything original unless totally necessary, and I mean anything. I have thought about redoing my interior from time to time, but he has me rethinking it. I have one spot in my passenger seat that annoys me, but the rest iis rather good. Is there a way to prevent this type of light cracking from worsening? I kind of want to keep the original as long as possible, the car is in a garage so it doesn’t see much sun.
https://fjcolephotography.smugmug.com/VW/i-35Lnv7F/A
With that being said I’d like to see what those 50 year old plus original interiors look like including carpets, headliner, seats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Had a similar curiosity sometime last year, did a gallery search.

Be sure to read the descriptions- some of these pictures have really cool stories to go along with the photos:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

This thread was an amazing 'time capsule' type of find, very cool:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Thanks for the links! I actually read about the car in your second link last year . Great bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

I have the original flooring (vinyl?) in my 68 bug. It looks great but is very brittle. I had to replace my master cylinder and to get to the 2 bolts I have to move the flooring out of the way and it just fell apart in my hands.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Let’s get some pics of original seats....
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

When you’re Seinfeld, you can afford vintage cars that are in great shape. I, on the other hand, cannot afford a single vintage Porsche.

When most of us got our bugs, a P.O. had already screwed up any number of things. Original interior? Mine came with black 1973 seat covering. The fit on a 1974 set of front seats was ridiculous. I reupholstered and rebuilt my seats.

I do not like seeing curled, cracked, stretched-out door cards, etc., so I replaced mine. When something gets too old and busted, I replace it. I don’t customize, but I do replace. Most often, I use other parts from other cars from the same era. For instance, the vinyl on my original glove box door was curled away from the edge. I got another original from the Samba Classifieds. One of my original Lemertz Sports rims was bent. I got another from the same source.

But this thread seems to be about interior updating. My take? If it’s old and busted, it’s old and busted. Replace it. I want to sit in a nice, comfy seat—not a cracked, discolored, broken down seat that was not protected from years of use and sun damage.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

This are factory original seat upholstery and door cards. Pretty boring black, but well-made compared to the TMI stuff.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That said, I am swapping it out for customer TMI covers w/cloth inserts...much more comfortable on hot days.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Why would you swap original out if it is still good? I personally wouldn’t. Are there any spots on your seats that show any wear or cracking?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Tiny spot on the driver's seat, nothing big. Black of the door cards dull, no shine, and visually boring frankly.

They do need new cushions. I already have them, so I'm going to brighten up the interior. I'm keeping the original covers so will be *very* careful when removing them in case some future owner wants to go back.....or i might sell them!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

They look good in the photos
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
When you’re Seinfeld, you can afford vintage cars that are in great shape. I, on the other hand, cannot afford a single vintage Porsche.

When most of us got our bugs, a P.O. had already screwed up any number of things. Original interior? Mine came with black 1973 seat covering. The fit on a 1974 set of front seats was ridiculous. I reupholstered and rebuilt my seats.

I do not like seeing curled, cracked, stretched-out door cards, etc., so I replaced mine. When something gets too old and busted, I replace it. I don’t customize, but I do replace. Most often, I use other parts from other cars from the same era. For instance, the vinyl on my original glove box door was curled away from the edge. I got another original from the Samba Classifieds. One of my original Lemertz Sports rims was bent. I got another from the same source.

But this thread seems to be about interior updating. My take? If it’s old and busted, it’s old and busted. Replace it. I want to sit in a nice, comfy seat—not a cracked, discolored, broken down seat that was not protected from years of use and sun damage.

Tim

The cars he showed on the Jay Leno program were not in mint condition. They had rust, chipped paint, headliners that looked like they were faded and water stained, ripped seats etc. He is of the opinion that the car tells a story, and it’s only original once.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Cars do tell a story, for sure. But....i'm of the opinion that, since they're not living things, so once the story's told, I make bringing it back to a cleaner original-like state with minor mods my part of the story. In your case, Frodge, your Super's original seats look fantastic and not nearly as drab as my '74's black interior. I might stick w/it if it were mine.

That said, one man's "minor mods" might be another's destruction of a pristine beauty. Guess if I found a split zwitter I might leave it as is...

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

I’m leaving it for now! It’s a standard 1970 btw. I just watched the Wolfsburg West tutorial. Seems like a pretty involved procedure to do that job with a lot that can go wrong. Like the sears frame points breaking off etc.
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

My interior is as original as possible. Cracked seat covers, plastic dash, steering wheel plastic, and all. I've learned to embrace it. Because that's free. I keep my car absolutely mechanically sound as possible, but I haven't replaced anything on the interior unless it's needed to be functional. I did replace the door panels in the front a few months ago. They were pretty much gone anyway from the carboard getting wet. I put seat cheap covers over top of the original ones, but real "replacement" ones aren't at the top of my list. I replaced my glove box, because the cardboard was pretty much gone. I got lucky enough to be inherit a car that hasn't really been touched, unless it was needed for safety, function, or to keep it running, so I kind of like keeping it that way. It's a "patina bug" on the inside.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

My interior is as original as possible. Cracked seat covers, plastic dash, steering wheel plastic, and all. I've learned to embrace it. Because that's free. I keep my car absolutely mechanically sound as possible, but I haven't replaced anything on the interior unless it's needed to be functional. I did replace the door panels in the front a few months ago. They were pretty much gone anyway from the carboard getting wet. I put seat cheap covers over top of the original ones, but real "replacement" ones aren't at the top of my list. I replaced my glove box, because the cardboard was pretty much gone. I got lucky enough to be inherit a car that hasn't really been touched, unless it was needed for safety, function, or to keep it running, so I kind of like keeping it that way. It's a "patina bug" on the inside.

Pics please
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

I'll post tomorrow. But my bug is far from a show car... She's a daily driver.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Frodge - this isn't original but I tried to get it as close as possible. My old '64, before I found Super religion. Very Happy

Damn, I miss that little car!! Crying or Very sad

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

Victor, that’s looking good!

Tim

Richard O'Brien
markj60616
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

The original floor liner in my 1970 Beetle gets a lot of attention at shows. That was one of the years for what I call the "bumps" style liner mats. I don't think these are reproduced by any supplier at this time. I will try to get a better photo.

original engine

1978 Type 2 Panel Bus
original engine 2.0L FI

2014 Beetle 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Original Bug Interiors. I’d like to see them. Reply with quote

My seats look pretty damned good for almost 50 years old. Just yesterday I noticed this one spot on the passenger seat. I never noticed it before. I never, or don’t think I ever recall this being there, but I also don’t look there often or sit there.I’d like to keep these, but don’t want this to worsen. The car is garaged, out of the sun, and nobody really sits in the passenger seat. Any ideas how to just kind of keep this as is, or repair if it rips? Doesn’t have to be perfect. I really don’t want to go through the expense or hassle for that one spot, when the sears are otherwise good.
https://fjcolephotography.smugmug.com/VW/i-35Lnv7F/A
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: