Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 bay wont start no spark
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

Yesterday I was out test driving my bay after doing some front end work and it died and won't start now. The coil came loose from the mount but nothing came unplugged. Checked fuses and all were good
Put new cap and rotor on and cleaned up the points. Tested with new spark plug held to ground and no spark. Put new wires on I had as well. Unplugged condenser and tested coil with coil output grounded and jumper on negative and it sparks there. Not sure what else to try. Have power to coil. Coil reads 3.5 ohms from pos to negative. From coil output to positive I'm getting 7.73K ohms. What you guys think?

Ps. Motor is a 2.0 fuel injected
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

So:
You have power to the coil.
But no spark.
Do you have power at the rotor? see if the coil plug has power from the coil to the rotor.
If you have that, keep tracing the power, where does it stop? replace the part that loses the power.

(You should be able to test the coil-to-rotor wire just like you would a spark plug wire.)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

possibly a bad condenser. Put your vote meter at the coil on 15 and see if you have voltage with the key on. With your dwell meter see what the dwell is. Report back what you find.
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
possibly a bad condenser. Put your vote meter at the coil on 15 and see if you have voltage with the key on. With your dwell meter see what the dwell is. Report back what you find.

I don't have a dwell meter. I have 12 volts at 15
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

put the meter on 1 and rotate the engine by hand. See if the voltage goes from 12V to 0 every time the points open. don't leave the ignition on for a long time to avoid overheating the coil. Make 100% sure that your hands, clothing and hair are away from the belt and that the car is in neutral with the parking brake on in case it decides to fire.
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
put the meter on 1 and rotate the engine by hand. See if the voltage goes from 12V to 0 every time the points open. don't leave the ignition on for a long time to avoid overheating the coil. Make 100% sure that your hands, clothing and hair are away from the belt and that the car is in neutral with the parking brake on in case it decides to fire.
getting nothing when doing this. Would the condensor cause something like this?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

you should have 12V on pin 1 of the coil when the points are open if you have 12V on pin 15. Remove the green wire from 1 and see if you have 12 V now. If you do, then look for a bad condenser or chaffed green wire etc.
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
you should have 12V on pin 1 of the coil when the points are open if you have 12V on pin 15. Remove the green wire from 1 and see if you have 12 V now. If you do, then look for a bad condenser or chaffed green wire etc.
ok I misunderstood. So with green wire attach2d to 1 I have 12 volts no matter if points are opened or closed. With green wire disconnected I have 12 volts as well
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I have 4 wires going to this coil. Green to 1 and a white/cream colored one to 1. Then black power to 15 and another black wire that seems to be a relay to the fuel injectors
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

stubb1986 wrote:
SGKent wrote:
ok I misunderstood. So with green wire attach2d to 1 I have 12 volts no matter if points are opened or closed. With green wire disconnected I have 12 volts as well

If you have a constant 12v on terminal #1 of the coil when you rotate the engine, then you are getting on current flow through the points.

-bad points
-bad green wire to points
-back braided ground wire in the distributor.

With the ignition on and the engine turned so that the points are closed, you should get a spark on the coil wire when you open the points with a stick. You can use a small screwdriver, but be prepared to get a jolt if you are touching the shaft.
stubb1986
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
stubb1986 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

If you have a constant 12v on terminal #1 of the coil when you rotate the engine, then you are getting on current flow through the points.

-bad points
-bad green wire to points
-back braided ground wire in the distributor.

With the ignition on and the engine turned so that the points are closed, you should get a spark on the coil wire when you open the points with a stick. You can use a small screwdriver, but be prepared to get a jolt if you are touching the shaft.

I re adjusted the points and now im getting 12 v and 0v when rotating the engine over but still not starting. Going to check spark at plugs later when i get off work.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

your points needed adjusting. When they are closed they ground 1 so there is no voltage there. When they are open the 12V thru the coil is there. Sounds like you are having issues setting your point gap. It should be .016 inch when it is on the lobe. Make sure you put a little distributor lobe grease on the lobes.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 bay wont start no spark Reply with quote

'cleaning up the points' will bring you misery & confusion.
When point sets are new, a feeler gauge is all that's needed.
Once they have operated they swap material from one contact
surface to the other. At that point, a feeler gauge is now useless,
it does not have the new, flat contact surfaces to deal with, it rides
on the crater & dimple left by normal ignition operation & you wind up
with .016" + the marred contact surface. : (
The points of today don't take well to filing, the metals used are for long
life then disposal not re-gapping/cleaning.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: