Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Temp II sensor in Alaska
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm pretty sure my temp sensor is going out. AFR jumps sporadically. I have a potentiometer to bypass for temporary use. I thought I had a spare sensor with me, but no dice. I am currently about 140 km from the Arctic Ocean in Inuvik NWT, hoping to make it to the ocean today. I will hopefully be in Alaska in the next few days. I am hoping that someone either:
A) knows of a place that would carry or be able to get a sensor
B) Some generous resident would be able to provide one that I could purchase
C) Some generous resident would provide me with an address to ship a sensor to
D)Someone has a suggestion of how I can procure a sensor

Thanks!
Nick
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

I understand that they are back on the market now. Can't you find a place like Bus depot that will FedEx one to you?

http://www.busdepot.com/0280130012
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Despite a lot of travel in the bus, I have never had to order anything on the road. Any suggestions on how to go about that?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Order up a Temp Sender II from one of the many fine VW outlets and have them send it to you "Priority Mail" c/o General Delivery, of a Town in Alaska where you will be in 3-5 days.

In the mean time, sand the electrical connection it plugs into and see if that helps.

If not you can crimp on a connection to a "female" crimp connection that can be attached to a known good ground into the engine wiring harness.

Unplug the back wire and plug in your female connection and attach the other end to a known good ground. It might be a little tough to start but it will run.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

or try http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php they are based in Canada.. a little clsoer to Alaska
!984 911 Targa
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

You might wanna look at their feedback first Smile
Balmoral1958
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

? I have had no issues with them, just bought some stuff last month.
!984 911 Targa
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

you are lucky then. I urge you to take look.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=220
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

I agree, Scott is so hot and cold on orders. Used to use them, then smartened up.

To the OP, there are ways to bypass the TS2 to keep you moving, like Randy covered. The potentiometer also helps, showing you know what you're doing. It it wired in series with your TS2? If so, bypass it and try to use your potentiometer to mimic your TS2.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

I see CIP offers a couple as well, they are in Canada although I don't know if that improves the speed of the shipment once it leaves thier warehouse any.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

There is a thread here about repairing a TSII sender with a thermister that is commonly available. A search should turn it up.

A 50-200 ohm resister installed between the end of the white wire that goes to the TSII sensor and the engine block will get you home, though the engine may run crappy for a minute or two when cold started.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Installing a TSII is your best bet. Yes, there are work around but be advised that one if our members ruined his engine recently doing that
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Installing a TSII is your best bet. Yes, there are work around but be advised that one if our members ruined his engine recently doing that

...and that would be me. Embarassed

Make sure not to run too lean, or valves will unseat.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

I would buy an original German one from Auto Atlanta. It will last you a looong time. The new repros have no track record.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
I would buy an original German one from Auto Atlanta. It will last you a looong time. The new repros have no track record.

Original German ones haven't been available anywhere in years. (The Auto Atlanta ones are aftermarket.) We were the first to bring these back, almost two years ago now, so ours are actually the only ones out there that DO have a track record. Also ours are Stainless Steel, unlike the others. At $29 they are way cheaper than the non-stainless German ones were when they were last available.

Link: http://www.busdepot.com/0280130012
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstimm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/URO-Parts-311-906-041A/dp/B071NHCQPV
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

And make sure you buy 2 of them while you are at it.
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

dstimm wrote:
Amazon? https://www.amazon.com/URO-Parts-311-906-041A/dp/B071NHCQPV

Not the same as ours, and not stainless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MidWesty79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Where would "general delivery" ship it to?

I have been running with the potentiometer lately, I also have an AFR gauge and a DD head temp gauge. I'm beginning to think the Temp Sensor might not be the problem (at least not all) as the bus will occasionally still have sporadic and jumpy air fuel ratio, jumping super lean. I have looked at the air flow meter, tried cleaning the tracks and making sure all is well there.

The weather in Tuktoyaktuk right now is pretty brutal, and I do not look forward to tinkering with it. I have 550 miles back to even limited civilization.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Need Temp II sensor in Alaska Reply with quote

Check for cracks in your S-boot and other vacuum leaks. If you have an EGR, unbolt the flange from the pipe at the valve and use a coin covered in silicone to block it off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: