Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

have a 56 with a 1911cc T4 motor. Dual weber 40's, 9-1 comp ratio, mid range torque cam, stock 1.7 heads opened up for the 96mm cyls, . I have an 050 on there now set at 32degs full advance and maybe 8-10degs advance at idle. The thing just smells like it's not firing correctly or at the proper time. I don't think it should be jetted rich at all but it acts that way. I'd like to find something with some vacuum help.
Thanks
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

The easy route is a 123 Bluetooth.
The 2018 gen 4 is nice, and easy to work with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mango-smoothie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

i am running a SDVA (with points) & dual 44 IDF's on my 2056 T4 in my bus. runs flawlessly and gets >20MPG

on my other car (2056 T4 too) i have megajolt. lots of work to setup, but zero maintenance and quite easy to customize.

i ran pertronix in 009 and SVDA and wasn't a fan at all. went back to points and it's been great.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The easy route is a 123 Bluetooth.

Real talk, is that a viable option? haven't really heard great feedback on that one yet.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

I was of the very same opinion until they released the 2018 USB and Bluetooth version. Now it has gotten significantly harder to find things I donīt like about it. A cool extra feature is the antitheft mode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

hmmm, cause I still have my magnaspark in the box Think
Are the pretty comparable?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

mango-smoothie wrote:
i am running a SDVA (with points) & dual 44 IDF's on my 2056 T4 in my bus. runs flawlessly and gets >20MPG

Are you sure the vacum can gets activated? Iīm not. I think you should look at your set up again. 20ish mpg is low for such a car, unless its a high top camper.

mango-smoothie wrote:

i ran pertronix in 009 and SVDA and wasn't a fan at all. went back to points and it's been great.

I agree, the P copy distributors are hit and miss. But since you bought it you could have saved yourself some and simply moved the Ignitor unit into a refurbished German SVDA and have gotten an even better result.
Iīm not affraid of the Ignitor modules. I have installed hundreds over the years and seen ONE that behaved odd and got replaced.
Another thing. 1/3 of all the problems with errattic timing is NOT the distributors fault, its the guy that install the distributorīs fault. Because most people fail to check the tolerance between the distributor drive and the distributor itself. If the tolerance is too large, which it often is due to varius reasons, the timing flickers and are all over the place. Thenthey swop the distributor to asnother one, often with another clamp too, and suddenly it runs better. Like I wrote, 1/3 of the times it is because with the other distributor and clamp the tolerance is better, so the engine runs better. That simple.
T
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

mango-smoothie wrote:

on my other car (2056 T4 too) i have megajolt. lots of work to setup, but zero maintenance and quite easy to customize.

SVDA is a generic term. If it's a Bosch, what's the part number? If it's aftermarket, who's?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Saggs wrote:
have a 56 with a 1911cc T4 motor. Dual weber 40's, 9-1 comp ratio, mid range torque cam, stock 1.7 heads opened up for the 96mm cyls, . I have an 050 on there now set at 32degs full advance and maybe 8-10degs advance at idle. The thing just smells like it's not firing correctly or at the proper time. I don't think it should be jetted rich at all but it acts that way. I'd like to find something with some vacuum help.
Thanks

I am running a Pertronics III on my 1911 timed at 8* initial, 31 total with an additional 9* of vacuum advance, mild cam, 8.4/1 and 40 Webers. Runs pretty sweet but struggling to break 30 mpg(best of 29.9 so far) in a Manx copy. Not sure if the type 4 engines are just not a good fuel mileage engines or if it's the aerodynamics of the Buggy that is the limiting factor.
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

OPRN- does this petronix III have vacuum advance that will respond to the small amount of vacuum on my 40mm webers? Is something to get thru aircooled.net? I wasn't sure if these carbs would give enough vacuum signal or do I need to put in larger ports? Thanks for the replies to all!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Saggs wrote:
Thanks

I am running a Pertronics III on my 1911 timed at 8* initial, 31 total with an additional 9* of vacuum advance, mild cam, 8.4/1 and 40 Webers. Runs pretty sweet but struggling to break 30 mpg(best of 29.9 so far) in a Manx copy. Not sure if the type 4 engines are just not a good fuel mileage engines or if it's the aerodynamics of the Buggy that is the limiting factor.

Not sure if you saw this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705258&highlight=
VDUBBIN BC wrote:
I just installed the Pertronix Ignitor III distributor kit, coil and wires in my type 1 2110cc - 1962 beetle. There seems to be this intermittent cut out thing going on. Like it keeps shorting out? The RPM's have this short little cough at most revs. Any ideas?

https://vimeo.com/285341500
[https://vimeo.com/285341500][/vimeo]

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Saggs wrote:
Thanks

Have you tried out any different ignition systems to compare? I've set up a German 034 SVDA on a 2.0 upright conversion for an early bay window in the past. I forget which cam ( mild for sure) but stock heads and 40 dells were used. We tried for a while to crack 30MPG, but we eventually tried taylor spiro-pro wires, a .034" plug gap, and a non-resistor rotor, paired with a Vintage Tiger CDI system, which netted a best highway MPG of 32.5, after a couple jetting changes and playing with the wideband. Interesting thing is that going with the CDI let us go richer on all jets and made a huge difference in how the engine felt. Before the CDI it was hard to push past 28MPG.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
Saggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

I have tried an 010 and an 019 but the advance curves are not well suited for the motor. I think I need something like the above person posted with a hotter (or longer)? duration spark. If you have any product names or links to this CDI I would appreciate it. Does this take the place of my Bosch blue coil? and does it use a magnetic trigger or points? Last question and important one is, will the vacuum off my webers operate a standard vac advance dizzy?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Winterburn CDI: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1557647

Talk to Fred, he's a great guy.

You still need a coil.

Ask Fred about a magnetic trigger but points will work and last a very long time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Saggs wrote:
OPRN- does this petronix III have vacuum advance that will respond to the small amount of vacuum on my 40mm webers? Is something to get thru aircooled.net? I wasn't sure if these carbs would give enough vacuum signal or do I need to put in larger ports? Thanks for the replies to all!

I have original Italian Webers and one has a vacuum port for the distributor on just one cylinder. Lots of signal to operate this distributor. I don't know if your Webers are set up like that or not.

The amount of vacuum available may actually be more related to camshaft choice and engine condition.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

[quote="Glenn"]Not sure if you saw this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705258&highlight=
VDUBBIN BC wrote:
I just installed the Pertronix Ignitor III distributor kit, coil and wires in my type 1 2110cc - 1962 beetle. There seems to be this intermittent cut out thing going on. Like it keeps shorting out? The RPM's have this short little cough at most revs. Any ideas?

Yes I saw that before I bought mine Glen. My original Bus distributor was in poor shape and not usable so I contacted you for advice and the result was not helpful for some reason. Not normal from what I have seen on this site but perhaps I said something that offended you. Not sure but sorry for whatever it was.

Anyway in the interest of getting my engine running and being in a remote area I took a chance on the Pertronics and so far all is good.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
oprn wrote:
Saggs wrote:
Thanks

Have you tried out any different ignition systems to compare? I've set up a German 034 SVDA on a 2.0 upright conversion for an early bay window in the past. I forget which cam ( mild for sure) but stock heads and 40 dells were used. We tried for a while to crack 30MPG, but we eventually tried taylor spiro-pro wires, a .034" plug gap, and a non-resistor rotor, paired with a Vintage Tiger CDI system, which netted a best highway MPG of 32.5, after a couple jetting changes and playing with the wideband. Interesting thing is that going with the CDI let us go richer on all jets and made a huge difference in how the engine felt. Before the CDI it was hard to push past 28MPG.

No this is the only system I have tried so far. Interesting!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes I saw that before I bought mine Glen. My original Bus distributor was in poor shape and not usable so I contacted you for advice and the result was not helpful for some reason. Not normal from what I have seen on this site but perhaps I said something that offended you. Not sure but sorry for whatever it was.

I don't remember the conversation but I most likely said that I do not work on Type 4 engine and have no recommendation for them.

Nothing personal, i don't know why you felt that.

Just being honest. The last thing I want is to sell you a distributor that doesn't work for you.... unlike most online vendors.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

The Winterburn is a nice sturdy classic product. But seriusly overpriced for what it is.
A good std type coil with a fast reload will do the same, and to significantly more than 6000 rpm. (A blue Bosch will struggle, possibly not make it.) Add a cheap pcd upgrade and the spark strength and quality will improve. Go MSD, Crane or what ever CDI and the spark strength, quality and duration will improve again.
T
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can someone recommend a good distributer for my T4 powered oval? Reply with quote

Torben, I need some advice on ignition.
My motor is a type 4 also ,with a turbo.
I run standard coil ,points and condenser. The motor is getting spark blow out at high revs and 15 psi boost. I'm looking for an easy upgrade for this. I would like to fit a more powerful coil ONLY but dont think the condensors like big coils.
I had a petronix 3 and flame thrower 3 coil but the module wnet skitso on me, so had to fit points. I still have the coil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: