Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

My 1963 finally arrived home. This is my second beetle, my first at age 15 was a 1974 that never really had a hope of getting back on the road. I've been waiting for another for the past 21 years!

My goal is to get this as "correct" as possible. There are some things I know about that are not correct, and probably some things I don't. I would love to get some input from members. Overall though I am pleased, it has the original motor for the car, matching body and pan and original interior.

I know the hood isn't original and I am not sure why it was changed, or when. It currently sports a repainted mexian hood. If it was painted to match the patina of the body I might not care as much right now. I added a wide strip to it so at least it looks right from far. I will try sourcing a original hood over the next year. The rear deck lid and rear fenders looks like they have been resprayed too, as far as I can tell they haven't been replaced - but I do not know for sure. I would like to have these areas potentially resprayed to match the patina of the body if possible. I have to do some other small things, replace the horn, put a new 16a fuse and get fuel line clamps on.

So far it has been fun though. I've diagnosed some electrical issues, I've had to adjust the brakes and next week will be valve adjustment and check tranny fluid. Oil is good and new so far.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Clean...

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Awesome color. Looks solid and clean. Somebody will say it, so I’ll go first....move that fuel filter. Don’t want to lose that beautiful car to a fire!
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Awesome color. Looks solid and clean. Somebody will say it, so I’ll go first....move that fuel filter. Don’t want to lose that beautiful car to a fire!

I ordered some fuel line and am waiting for it. Where would a better place to put it be?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Wow...what a score! Hard to come by them like that anymore in such well-preserved condition. That's one sweet Beetle you've found yourself there.

bird blaster wrote:
Where would a better place to put it be?
Next to the transmission. Splice it into the hose that connects the metal line exiting from the pan to the one leading to the fuel pump.

You might also want to flush the old brake fluid out and replace with new. This should be done every couple of years.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Going through the documents that came with the car including original ownership. Booklet from dealer verified motor is the one it was born with.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Congratulations! I've loved my Turkis '63 for about 20 years now. I'm about to cave in a go through seals and replace a now noisy throwout bearing. Of course this means spreading things out. Smile

I can see your hood is at least a raised emblem/3 prong hood- so if it matters- only you would know it's from the wrong the year/country of origin. Looks great to me.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
rsthj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Beautiful car! I too have a preserved türkis '63 but it is not nearly as clean.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

... had this turquoise '63 in 1970 - was like new... bought for $400

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Loop in the vacuum line is supposed to be where the fuel line passes thru it.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

horrible. HORRIBLE car! Sick
Geeze, you got suckered Rolling Eyes Mad

Being a generous person and not wanting to see anyone taken advantage of, I will offer to relieve you of it, your turkis burden Mad . And so you don't lose any money, I will (reluctantly) pay you what you paid, plus you shipping costs.

Deal? Razz

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments and helpful suggestions everyone!

My goal this weekend between work this weekend is to get the fuel line sorted out and replace the horn as it appears to have stopped working. Next week will be valve adjustments, and check level of transmission fluid.

Is there an FAQ on here for best fluids/oils for a beetles? I haven't had a chance to look yet, but if someone could link me that would be great!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Up at the top of the forum is the:

Beetle FAQ and 1958-1967 Beetle Info available on TheSamba

Check that one out first.

If that does not have the info you want. Use the Search just above that. Checking the "Titles Only" box helps to cut down results to what you need. If no luck then uncheck that box and see what pops up.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

bird blaster wrote:
Is there an FAQ on here for best fluids/oils for a beetles?

Engine oil is a MUCH-debated topic here on TheSamba. The bottom line is that you should be using an oil with a high zddp (zinc) content to protect the cam & lifters. This oil is designed for older engines without catalytic converters on the exhaust and which still use flat-tappet cams. There are many different sources for this stuff and everyone has an opinion as to which one's best. I happen use Joe Gibbs conventional 10W-30 racing oil in both my stock 1600 D/P and mild 1776. I get it delivered by the case from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/DRIVEN-Racing-02007-10W-30-Conventional/dp/B003XU9SWA
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

bird blaster wrote:
Thanks for all the comments and helpful suggestions everyone!

My goal this weekend between work this weekend is to get the fuel line sorted out and replace the horn as it appears to have stopped working. Next week will be valve adjustments, and check level of transmission fluid.

Is there an FAQ on here for best fluids/oils for a beetles? I haven't had a chance to look yet, but if someone could link me that would be great!

Before you run out and buy a new horn, or any other part, make sure you diagnose the issue first. The horn wiring on these cars is not terribly complicated, but there are multiple points in the circuit where the problem could be. Start with a search on Horn Wiring. You’ll probably get lots of results so you’ll need to find one that describes the basic circuit. If you don’t have one already, get yourself a voltmeter. It’s a necessity to sort out electrical issues.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
bird blaster wrote:
Is there an FAQ on here for best fluids/oils for a beetles?

Engine oil is a MUCH-debated topic here on TheSamba. The bottom line is that you should be using an oil with a high zddp (zinc) content to protect the cam & lifters. This oil is designed for older engines without catalytic converters on the exhaust and which still use flat-tappet cams.A

Better to just run through the oil thread here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=220755

Even the "bottom line" of needing a high zddp oil isn't agreed upon, especially when one considers there are multiple fairly modern vehicles with flat-tappet cams and catalytic converters that aren't self-destructing with modern day off the shelf oils with supposed "low zddp" levels.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Great looking bug.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Quote:

There is no problem with locating the fuel filter in the engine bay. The problem is making sure that it is installed properly - which this one is not - no clamps and hose lengths too long.

The location of the fuel filter has been discussed ad nauseum - its a personal preference. What the owner needs to know is how to ensure that it is installed properly ie wont leak.
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

wow thats nice.
bird blaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Volkswagen Beetle in Turkis Reply with quote

Cleaned it up inside and out this am. Horn working now, diagnosed as a faulty horn. Took apart original horn and couldn’t find where problem was. It passes current through the terminals when off the car, and tests OK on inside terminals, have to hook it to power...but confused why it isn’t working. When on the car the current didn’t pass through the unit. I reinstalled it after bench testing and still same failure. New horn works flawless. Tomorrow I’m going to tackle fuel filter. I think I like the idea of it outside engine bay.

Looks not bad cleaned up!! Going to try some TR-3 on the body.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: