Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Pan restoration

Here is the worst of the pan rust. Before and after. Spot welded the pin holes and cut out a small strip of metal for the larger hole. Still a lot of surface pitting visible if you compare it. Post paint shows the worst of the top pan rust (drivers side) compared with the passenger side. Bottom rust is negligible. POR15 is amazing paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bottom post blasting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

That's quite a bit of pitting on the pans. I know you've already POR15 the pan...but you've already got it this torn down. It isn't too late to get some nice Wolfsburg West pans in there before it's too late. There's not going to be too much metal between you and the road Shocked I personally do the stand test. Stand on the pan....if it's soft under your weight, it comes out!

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701061B
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=112701062B
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Matthew Tolbert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

or get the correct looking ones from Klassic Fab

https://www.klassicfab.com/product-category/type-1-beetle/floor-pans-type-1-beetle/
1965 Notchback S
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

W/W $430 and includes seat tracks and jack points
Gerson $600 no tracks or jack points

I have used the W/W pans, they are a drop in fit. Pressings are extremely close to original. $55 shipping to my door. Gerson....$125. For an economical build, W/W fits the bill for most customers. Gerson metal is nice, but it is a hard sale sometimes.

Either way, I don't skimp on this area. Along with the Heater channel, the pans are almost a necessity when they are in the shape yours appear to be in. I've been in Beetles that every bump the seat is flexing from weak pans. It's a scary ride. And what's worse, it's all gotta come back apart to the point you are at now.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the review and suggestions. The pan corrosion is only on the upper area and only on the drivers side footwell. Bottom metal is in great condition. Decided to leave original metal. Just not bad enough to replace and not structural. The small pinhole patches were easy to weld and grind down flush.

The best part of the POR15 was how much of it absorbed in the original tunnel padding. It really slicked it up nice.

Next: new transaxle, front suspension, brakes and lines. (Note: all original setup, too many (good) arguments to leave it bone stock.)
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

The real work starts. Winter project. Restored pan in the heated garage ready for parts. OG body and other parts in storage. Ordered period correct split case transaxle to replace the later model tunnel. Rebuild 36 short block (circa 1959) on hand. I will make a vintage speed decision later, use stock 36 until all the chassis and body "bugs" worked out. Strategy, transaxle, engine, brakes, front suspension, tires and wheels. Goal, rolling chassis with fully operable period correct pieces. My last real auto restoration was when I was a teenager. Hopefully the skills will be remembered.

Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Strange that you dont have a day it was built or left the factory. They are so inconsistent. I mainly purchased my Birth Cert to verify the color of my 55 (Ultramaroon) but they left that blank. You got a lot more info than most. Score!

I did exactly the same thing on my July 55, looking to verify color (Texas Brown), but it came back blank as well. I did get exact dates though.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Settled on Wright Gearbox to handle the original spit case core search and rebuild. The bug at acquisition (1982) had a later model tunnel and was of questionable condition. Best we could find was a early 57 vintage case that is definitely show quality after cleaning and media blasting. The inside photos are not something you get from most rebuilders.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Beautiful transmission! I recommended Rick Wright to you, as he rebuilt two split case transaxles for me (one '57 Beetle Kabriolett and one '59 Double-Cab Bus). But he didn't send me any internal photos (well, I never asked him to, damn it!) so it's cool to see your shots. Rick told me that he is the only one who does the split-case transaxle work in his shop. I still haven't installed either of my transaxles yet, but I can't wait to. They will be so much more reliable and quieter than what is in both vehicles now.

I agree strongly with many other very knowledgeable folks here that you ought to get your Beetle back together as stock (un-modified) as possible and then simply drive it around for a while that way and see how you like it. Expect in advance that it won't be fast, that it won't climb grades (are there any at all in Oklahoma?) like a rocket. Expect that! Adjust to driving slower, at 1950's era speeds. "Own" the right lane on the Interstate, be proud that you're cruising in a sixty-plus year old VW at 65 to 70 mph instead of 80-85 like all the other maniacs. When I drive that beige '55 Sunroof of mine, I take over and "own" the slow lane. People are pretty cool towards my old car, no one has been an asshole towards me so far because I'm slower than them for over 25 years that I've owned my Sunroof. It's just an adjustment you have to make when you own and cruise in a cool old car. It sure works for me!

You have an epic old Oval! Just fix your rust issues, clean up and carefully buff out the paint, complete your stock drivetrain, install all new brake components (including all new metal and rubber brake lines!), restore your sunroof cover and headliner, eventually find a correct "Batwing" steering wheel and horn button and correct front seats (use the ones you have for now) and then just go out and enjoy the ride!

You are only a State away, so hopefully we will meet up someday in either OKC or in Missouri and we'll check out each others '55 Sunroofs!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Front axle review

Pulled the long stored front suspension into the garage. First order of business check the serial number on the passenger side axle bumper. Cut the bumper donut off, definitely junk after 64 years. The number is in the May 1955 range. Level of crud to the level expected. No damage observed. Evaluating king pins, already have replacements. They are not that bad, but given I have not idea how many miles are on this vehicle, they are getting replaced along with all the brake work.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Serial number review

Below are all my serial numbers. Engine and transaxle were replacement and not original. Interesting the spread of manufacturing dates on what I believe are original parts.

Body - April 1955
Frame - None (frame number use stopped sometime in May 1955)
Front axle - May 1955
Chassis - May 1955
Birth Certificate - June 1955

dave conklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

What a great car. Congrats on keeping it so long. Looking forward to how it turns out.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Transaxle delivered. All the installation bits delivered Friday. Previous (replacement) transaxle was a later tunnel. It does not look like anything was modified. In theory, a bolt on job. For some reason, it never is. I really like the media blasted case (Wright Gearbox, CA).

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Breaking rules

Ordered a (later) dual chamber master cylinder instead of the original single pump unit.
This is absolutely a single point of failure part with the original master cylinder. Plan is to install fluid reservoir as pictured and the original (in boot) will be a dummy. All new brake lines going in.

Comments and suggestions welcome

*Darren wrote:
Generally speaking, the more you change the car from stock the more value will be negatively affected and the tougher it will be to sell should you decide too. The exception being vintage speed. Truth, if that is og paint wash that shit down and see what you've got. It looks very promising. That will add value if it cleans up well. Same holds with your interior if it's as nice as that panel in the photo. With a non original case vintage speed may be the way to go.

66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I did my 57 the same way with the dual circuit master and the dummy original reservoir. Unless you climb under the car you will never know

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

You've accomplished a ton of work! I'm curious why you used a "T" for the front lines? I'm going to do the same with my 56'. Was there not another port on the master cylinder for the passenger side?
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Thanks, the master cylinder photo was one I found as an example. Not mine. I am not sure why the "T" on this install. Will advise when I get the master cylinder in and see how it sets up. I'll post photos. From what I hear an easy swap from the original to the twin cylinder setup.

motofly196 wrote:
You've accomplished a ton of work! I'm curious why you used a "T" for the front lines? I'm going to do the same with my 56'. Was there not another port on the master cylinder for the passenger side?
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Thanks, any advise on install? See question from MOTOFLY196.

66brm wrote:
I did my 57 the same way with the dual circuit master and the dummy original reservoir. Unless you climb under the car you will never know
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Not really, I changed all my hard lines at the same time for long term trouble free install. Just don't drop the spacer sleeves in the Napoleon's hat, they can be "fun" to get back into place. Mines a rhd so slightly different master but there should be three ports at the front and one or two at the back, two lines from the front to the front brakes one port for the light switch, back port for the back brakes and another switch or plug it

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Maybe they plumbed it with the "T" so they had a spot to add a poportioning valve when a disc front set up was installed?
I have a few new dual masters in a box for upcoming projects, and I have no time to dig them out right now. But I believe they had two front ports, and a rear port, just like an original single circuit master.
Wolfsburg West sells a good coated steel brake line kit. I wouldn't use copper brake lines personally.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: