Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGLOCOTE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

That generator looks 🔥

Looking for 54-55 TYPE 1 finger tin.

UNITED STATES SUBMARINE VETERAN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Hey you were talking earlier in the thread about your date of manufacture. I just got my BC and mine was made June 10. Your VIN is very close so I bet yours was June 8 or 9 or 10. Easy enough to do the math on the # of cars/day.

My VIN 900722.

Any idea what the M 050 code really means? Is that for a self parking wiper motor?

Cheers and great progress!
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

My BC shows M 050 as “Short Distance Interference for Washer Motor”. Basically a delay curcuit for wipers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Any updates?

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

No valid excuses for no progress, RV acquisition burned a few months working out the bugs in the systems. A few COVID RV trips. a business deal that burned about four months of concentrated effort. Thanks for the reminder! Back on task(s).......
David
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting that your BC shows 'M050 Short-distance interference for washer-motor' & 'M104 Upholstery leatherette Red' when mine showed those two codes as 'cannot be identified'.

Thanks for posting your BC as it helps me figure out the two options I was missing for all these years. Now I just have to figure out what the original colour was. But then again, I guess Red leatherette was only in L41 Black cars, right? But my car is an Oct '54 car and they didn't have leatherette yet... I'm so confused,

*October '54 Ragtop
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

In North America Leatherette was in common usage earlier than most literature indicates, and in color combinations not generally shown in the published materials. Red Leatherette was commonly found on L276 Ultramaroon as well as L41 from some time in late 1954 forward
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

[quote="David"]
55rover wrote:

Interesting that your BC shows 'M050 Short-distance interference for washer-motor' & 'M104 Upholstery leatherette Red' when mine showed those two codes as 'cannot be identified'.

Thanks for posting your BC as it helps me figure out the two options I was missing for all these years. Now I just have to figure out what the original colour was. But then again, I guess Red leatherette was only in L41 Black cars, right?

Mine is June 1955 and has the red leatherette too, and self parking wiper motor. If fact, the exact same options list as that shows. Probably the same for all US cars.

I am bummed my BC did not show the paint color though so his is fortunate. Thankfully I know the color Reed Green.
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

sgbumperscar reference

I had full realization that wiring money to Vietnam was a one way deal with no recourse. I really liked the idea of stainless vs chrome and my originals are too far beat up to economically repair and re-chrome. My research had mixed reviews with some non-VW bumpers delivered not being of high quality.

My experience: From order to delivery was less than a week. The shipping took five days dock to doorway. In my book pretty outstanding. The bumpers are great looking and the fit and finish met my standards. Here are the bumper photos. More in the sgbumperscar feedback area (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307484)

Last edited by 55rover on Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

The fit of the over-rider is spot on. That’s good to know
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

The fit of that bumper guard at the lower bolt seems strange like it is not centered. Is that an illusion, or perhaps not screwed in?
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Lots of illusions in these pictures. The overriders are straight and fit perfectly. See back image

Here is a front view that shows the orientation. Note the visual defect on top of the over-rider. It is actually a reflection of an antler ceiling fixture.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Daylight Chassis review

Other than acquiring parts, not much work on the chassis. Time to get back into it.

Acquisitions:
- Correct seats - paid a ridiculous amount for correct deluxe flat track front seats. Thanks to another oval restorer for paying a lessor ridiculous amount for my "low back" late 55 - 64 front seats.
- Rebuilt 6v generator - looks great with vintage round regulator with solid state internals, not tested or assembled yet
- Batwing steering wheel - took a long time but great results!

I have no excuse during all this COVID stuff to not get this chassis finished.

TO DO
- finish up front brake backing plates and brake assemblies
- Complete front suspension linkages
- connect and test full brake system
- wheels need cleaned up and painted (acquired full set of tires a couple of years ago)
- engine tin and accessories, test run
- Exhaust system completion
- Drop the chassis and take on a chassis only test run (still not sure about this)

First daylight of chassis for a long time. Organized garage for the next push.

Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Awesome awesome build...

You know, I saw your clutch tube picture and concern- my 54' is exactly the same. When I got a good look at mine it actually looks like the tube is clearanced from the outside. I think it's intentional to keep from having an 'edge' that the cable rubs against? Or for inserting the cable, it can be a tough target if your hands are pudgy.

exactly like yours...looks too intentional to be exactly the same.

55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, It looked like to me to be cable wear. It is good to know it is either factory or every type 1 wears exactly the same. Either way it is just a a couple of spins on the clutch adjustment to adjust it out.

Bub wrote:
Awesome awesome build...

You know, I saw your clutch tube picture and concern- my 54' is exactly the same. When I got a good look at mine it actually looks like the tube is clearanced from the outside. I think it's intentional to keep from having an 'edge' that the cable rubs against? Or for inserting the cable, it can be a tough target if your hands are pudgy.

exactly like yours...looks too intentional to be exactly the same.

laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

It's been a couple of years since your last update, how's the 55 coming along?
1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Back in corner of garage, stacked with boxes,Christmas deco’s.perhaps
I’d like to see how many there are…

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up comments on the build. Unfortunately, the project is on hold until I get my house rebuilt from a fire (Nov 2021) that originated in the shop (yes, an old iphone lithium battery cooked off on my workbench). Photos of the damage below.

Only the chassis (complete with engine and trans) and a few other bits were in the garage at the time. Body, tires, seats, bumpers, etc were at an offsite storage. While it did get hot only the items hanging high in the shop were melted (notably my restored full batwing steering wheel). Note while the steering wheel melted on the opposite wall a roll around bench beside the chassis still had paper items that were not combusted.

The chassis will have to be cleaned and the engine torn down. Should be back in business in a couple of months. It has been a long road.

Social Media Post on the event Nov 2021

This last Monday at 3:14AM our Nest Protect smoke detectors woke us up. It was a curious audio message from the bedroom detector: “We have detected smoke in the family room, you have two minutes before the alarm is activated”. Immediately I went to that part of the house and noticed the smoke. After opening the door to my shop/garage area, it was readily apparent that my workbench was on fire. Clearly, we got out OK and I contemplated posting about the event and aftermath. After almost a week, I determined that I do have some informative, educational, and self-depreciating comments about the experience.
Upcoming topics:
- Check down drill for fire extinguishers and the college class I missed
- ER visit and the OkState doc
- Lithium batteries
- The half-life of Soot

Fire – Post 2 of 5 Check down drill for fire extinguishers and the college class I missed
Ok 3:16AM, work bench is on fire. Need to get to a fire extinguisher. Possibilities: A) reach for unit inside doorway to the right, grab unit hanging directly in front of me on opposite wall, C) go back and get the kitchen extinguisher or D) get the extinguisher hanging at the far end of the garage. Yep, I went past the burning workbench and picked up the far one. After coming back to the doorway, I emptied the extinguisher on the workbench. Note: it was the biggest of the fire extinguishers. Male rule: Use the biggest tool possible. (add note: sometimes compensates for lack of brain power at the moment.)
Next bright idea: Water hose outside of garage. I had skipped “Rioting and Looting 1103” in college. (Popularity seems to be back these days). I was clearly missing the proper method of breaking windows in my attempt to break the outside garage window. I grabbed short handled shovel in the main garage and speared it through the window along with my left arm, grabbed the hose hanging up outside a few feet away and started hosing the garage. This hosing went on until the fire department showed up and they relieved me which at the time I was standing in a pool of blood.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Sorry for that…families all good that’s a great thing.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
3foldfolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
In North America Leatherette was in common usage earlier than most literature indicates, and in color combinations not generally shown in the published materials. Red Leatherette was commonly found on L276 Ultramaroon as well as L41 from some time in late 1954 forward

Red leatherette often found in Stratos silver cars exported to US.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: