Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Current plan for this car restoration after really good member input. (Written as if completed) Comments still welcome.

1955 VW Deluxe Ragtop Coupe

This VW was part of a short year production where new models started in August, 1955 (1956 models) instead of calendar year changeover. This is a USA export model with unique bullet turn signals, hydraulic brakes and the unique three-fold ragtop that makes the car effectively a convertible. The car body is in original condition (“OG”) as much of the finish remains. Much of the interior is also original. The top and headliner is a restoration. The matching number chassis was removed, stripped and completely restored with several bolt on improvements for safety and drivability.

The car, when acquired in 1982 did not have the original 1.2L 36hp engine or “split case” swing axle transmission. Currently in its place is a later model 1960’s “tunnel” swing axle transmission with synchromesh gears, higher speed gearing and the ability to handle vintage performance engines up to 100 hp. No modification of the pan was made for this substitution.

Two engines are available for this car. One, a stock 1955 year 1.2L engine producing the original 36hp that is installed to show this car as it appeared and performed in 1955.

The second engine mainly used for touring is a later 1959 36hp block with many vintage performance enhancements. The engine displacement has been increased to 1.5L with an increased bore and stroke. Vintage performance dual port heads and dual carburetors increase the performance to an estimated 80hp.

The car has been converted from 6v to 12v for increased headlight and taillight performance along with being more practical for driving. A vintage 1950’s Porsche 356 12v high amperage generator allows for an unchanged look in the engine compartment.

The front brakes have been converted from drum to disk brakes (again bolt on modification). The brake master cylinder was replaced from a single to a dual master cylinder with a higher capacity fluid volume. This is also a major brake safety improvement.

The car cruises comfortably at 70mph (with vintage hot rod engine) and is a blast to drive.

Last edited by 55rover on Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Confused I'm really confused now. You wrote this like it's completed and for sale? Looking at the pictures you provided, you are years away from the end goal you want to achieve.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion. Written as if it was completed. I am setting the goal posts for this car.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

afaik porsche never made wide 5 disk brakes.

356a/b drum brakes are a good but expensive period upgrade.

or

aftermarket vw wide 5 disks. some are better than others so a bit of research is advised.
type3 rear drums to improve the rear braking might be useful but best to check with the front brake manufacturer.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Major Woody wrote:
What Skim said.

Lol, did I miss something?? I haven't seen Skim make any posts here

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Interior review

With the plan coming into focus on keeping originality. Below are photos of the interior. Non factory are: 1) Front seats (thank you Motofly196). 2) Push button window washer on left side of dash (original reservoir bottle under the hood). 3) Rear seat covers (not sure if 55 seat). 4) Headliner (different material than side lining, and newer).

Carpet is in bad shape, probably not original.

Radio is a 1961 Saphire 1 "Big Button" (and worked back in 1982), not sure if this would be considered period radio.

Questions:

1) Remove window washer and plug hole on left side of dash?
2) Save the all the red side panels?
3) Headliner replacement?

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I would leave the windshield washer knob...it looks pretty cool to me. The door panels are save-able for sure!

Although not in stock currently, Wolfsburg West sells the door panel trim
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113853111

The carpet looks original square weave to me. The more you have the better, but if it's all unraveled and nasty with mouse piss and turds...probably better off replacing it. Mohair headliners just disintegrate with time, better off replacing it when you do the canvas rag top cover.
I had a 62' Beetle with a beautiful Mohair headliner in it...well it looked nice. After getting it on the road, with the windows down at highway speed...it literally blew apart, flying all over the cabin. They just don't last I guess.
If you just have to have new carpet, and yours is decent, you will be able to sell it on here no problem. I'd even be interested in it!
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:

I had a 62' Beetle with a beautiful Mohair headliner in it...well it looked nice. After getting it on the road, with the windows down at highway speed...it literally blew apart, flying all over the cabin. They just don't last I guess!

Original o repro headliner in your 62 ? Shocked
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

It was an original headliner. Looked perfect, until the wind was whipping through the car.
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

The same thing happened to a '62 I used as a daily driver. It lasted a few months but then a small tear began and POOF the whole headliner fell apart!
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

First time in the daylight this century. (Moving the pan to the shop) This is an opportunity for a better look at paint and metal. Dents and dings more visible. It is an original car with battle scars to prove it. Hail damage and right side quarter panel i own. In retrospect, the 1984 hail damage punching holes in the ragtop caused me to put it in storage and basically forget about it. The disassembly in the mid 90's was interrupted with life and family issues.

The fenders look like they have been bondo'ed and black rattle canned at some time in its history.

Everybody still vote "Leave it OG"?

motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

This Oval is better than what I originally thought! Hell yes, finish restoring the pan, new steering/ suspension pieces, go through the brakes. Mate them back together and enjoy this beauty!
I haven't seen an original oval that is this complete in YEARS. You have all the hard to find stuff already....well except for the steering wheel. But that isn't hard to find at all. I would just buy a recast one from Belairman on Samba and be done!!
Drive it and enjoy it. You could easily finish this up during the winter, and start driving it in the spring. What stalls these early ovals out is hunting parts. I have a 55' that I've been collecting parts the better part of 10 years now.
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Car looks nice and solid!
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Were it mine I would keep it in the original paint.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Keep the paint as is for now.
Go drive it, you can always paint it later if you get bored of the patina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Powerplant and transaxle

Suggestion from group, to paraphrase: Put your money in vintage speed, it will complement the "OG" look and not decrease the value plus make it more driveable (and cool).

Original engine: 1.2L 36hp @ 3,700rpm
Original transaxle: 4.63 ring and pinion, 0.82 final drive ratio
Top speed @ 3,700rpm 74mph
Speed @ 3,000rpm 60mph

From what I remember driving it, 36hp would not get you anywhere close to 74mph unless going down hill with a tailwind

Alternative:
OK, dropping in a 1.6L dual-port not an option. (but easily cheaper)

Original 1955 36hp case
Okrasa stroked crank and high displacement cylinders (1.4L, Yea!)
High compression (from 6.5 to 8.0 compression ratio, break out the Premium Gas!)
Dual port heads
Twin carbs
Estimated 50hp @ 4,300rpm (We are smoking now)
https://imageevent.com/mrokrasa/okrasa36hpenginecarbkitcomp

Add: MOFOCO transaxle with 4.12 R&P, 0.82 final drive
http://www.mofoco.com/item/Freeway_Flyer_High_Performance_Swingaxle_Vw_Transmission/571

Performance:
Top speed @ 4,300rpm 96mph (theoretical)
Speed @ 3,000rpm 67mph

It will definitely be a cool engine to pop the deck lid during show and tell. This is probably going to be a 3,000 mile a year car at most.

Question:
- Any comments/thoughts on reliability of this setup?
- Just put a 36 banger in it and drive slow(er)?
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

ok first off do NOT run a 4.12 with .82 fourth...common mistake.

secondly, be prepared to spend A LOT of money if you want an okrasa engine that really runs worth a shit. just bolting a WW kit onto an otherwise stock 36 is not going to get you what you are hoping for. ($1500 poorly spent)

just run the STOCK 36 engine, or spend a whole bunch on a built okrasa (stroked/bored/cam/different carbs/etc).

a nicely built/fresh stock 35 will do 70mph all day long. hell, my 25hp 1951 beetle does 65mph all day long, if you're 36hp can't do that then you've fucked it all up somehow.

just get the car running with basic components first (stock) and then make improvements from there. coming up with a grandiose plan will most likely not see you driving it and enjoying it nearly as quickly.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

I'm glad you beat me to it Jake!

I have a 4.12 ring with .82 4th in my bus. On the flats it scoots with the 1776. Can cruise 70-75 with light throttle. Did a short 85mph blast... But headwinds and hills kinda suck. Not too bad, but would be better had I used a .89 4th. I couldn't even imagine running a 36hp behind this transmission.

If you want to just bench the original engine, and use a 58 or 59 case to build up a high performance engine...that would be another option. If you want to use up almost all of your budget, Mr. Okrasa engines sure are nice. It is a great feeling knowing your engine was built by you. But if you don't feel comfortable doing that I understand.

Tons of options. I would knock out that pan, and get the body back on. I can't wait to see what you choose to do with it!
55rover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

Transaxle Gearing

OK, went back to MOFOCO. The freeway flyer is the "tallest" gearing with a 4.12 R&P and 0.82 final drive. Double message from the group, too tall for low HP (meaning what I plan to run). Alternative gearing would be

1) 4.12 R&P 0.89 final
2) 4.37 R&P 0.82 final

Both have similar performance (below)
Goal: Drive-able car at freeway speeds with a bone stock 36 or a "high performance" 50hp bored and stroked 36 case.

Brain trust question:
- Which one preferred?

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 USA Deluxe Beetle Ragtop (three fold) restoration plan Reply with quote

55rover wrote:
Transaxle Gearing

Goal: Drive-able car at freeway speeds with a bone stock 36 or a "high performance" 50hp bored and stroked 36 case.

Brain trust question:
- Which one preferred?

Rpms at a given speed is much more important that HP. Higher hp will just get you there faster or help you maintain a certain speed up an incline.

What is your intended tire size? Stock 6.40-15?

I’d just run the stock 1955 gearing if you plan on running a 36 engine or built okrasa engine. The VW engineers designed the drivetrain to spin the engine at the appropriate rpm for any given speed.

You’re really thinking about all this a lot, maybe too much. Do your best not be convinced by marketing schemes to sell you something you don’t need and may not actually want.

You have a great car to start with, re-assemble it stock and just enjoy it, then make any necessary changes you see fit after a few thousand miles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: