Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coil is getting very hot
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
clbarton91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

Finished rewiring my 1973 beetle today, previously i was having lightning issues but everything motor wise was great. Upon rewireing today i noticed the coil was getting extremely hot and im a bit worried... don’t think it was like that before.... anything to worry with there or solutions to check out?
jamin12369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

If the key was on and motor not running the points could be closed and that would cause it.
If the motor was running make sure you have resistor wire in correctly.
clbarton91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

It actually seemed to be getting hot even with the key in the off position, i had the battery disconnected for a while troubleshooting some headlight issues and when i hooked it back up for a bit and walked away, several minutes later it was still very hot
anilv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

One of the signs of a failing coil is when it gets hot. I once drove an old MB for about 150 miles by drenching a cloth and wrapping it around the coil. When the cloth dried out the engine would start cutting out and that's when I knew it was time to stop and re-wet the cloth.

Anilv
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

The coils in these cars get hot. Period.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

clbarton91 wrote:
It actually seemed to be getting hot even with the key in the off position

The coil shouldn't get hot with the ignition off since there shouldn't be any power going to it, you should investigate further to make sure all power to the coil is cut when the ignition is switched off.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Coil is getting very hot Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
clbarton91 wrote:
It actually seemed to be getting hot even with the key in the off position

The coil shouldn't get hot with the ignition off since there shouldn't be any power going to it, you should investigate further to make sure all power to the coil is cut when the ignition is switched off.

Agree with mukluk. Coil gets hot from current passing thru it. With the battery hooked up but ignition switch OFF how is any voltage reaching the ignition coil??
Place a test lamp on the #15 terminal and check for voltage there while the ignition switch if OFF. If you have voltage... you have a BIG problem. Your ignition switch is not doing its job.

The reason WHY the coil gets hot?
Understand that when the points in the distributor are CLOSED this completes a circuit from the ignition switch; thru the ignition coil; thru the points to ground. If the ignition is ON current will flow thru the primary windings of the coil without end. The primary coil will start to heat up.
If the engine happened to come to a stop and the points are OPEN, there is no path to ground and there is no current flowing thru the coil. It remains cool even if the ignition switch is ON. You have around a 50/50 chance whether your engine will come to rest with the points OPEN or CLOSED.

If you know you will be working on your car for more than 5min with the ignition ON... remove the points wire from the #1 terminal of the coil. This breaks the circuit and makes sure the coil cannot ground thru the points. Just remember to reconnect the wire when you are done.
The other option is to rotate the crank pulley until the points are OPEN. It is the same as disconnecting the wire and you don't have to worry about reconnecting the wire.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: