Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need engine help for a bay window
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

My friend had an engine rebuilt by a local mechanic who installed new moresa pistons and cylinders.

With less than 2000kms on it, the engine was producing very little power and would struggle up slopes.

A different, older, experienced, near retired, and quite crotchety mechanic removed the engine and took it apart.

He found a damaged cam timing gear
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the part number reads 113109111B 8H. As we look for used replacements locally, what other parts can we replace this with? Will a 113 109 111A work?

This mechanic looked at the pistons and said that the skirts are too short and he refuses to use them even though they are practically new.

Is he correct? Is there a problem with this piston? Importing another new set to India is going to be real expensive. So I want to make sure.

Thanks!
Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

That's weird that the pistons would be too short? What Bore and stroke?
I bet it sat with water in oil for a year perhaps longer somewhere where the soil is really alkaline! It doesn't look like it jumped cam timing though, did he check engines cam timing upon tear down, that it was right?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
That's weird that the pistons would be too short? What Bore and stroke?
I bet it sat with water in oil for a year perhaps longer somewhere where the soil is really alkaline! It doesn't look like it jumped cam timing though, did he check engines cam timing upon tear down, that it was right?

No, he's not saying piston is too short -- he's saying the skirt is not long enough. And that that will cause more oil seepage.

I suspected that the cam timing was not set correctly. But, not sure if the mechanic checked for that.

He's saying that it should look like this older piston;

As far as I can tell the ht from the top of piston to the pin seems the same. Just that the skirt is shorter. He refuses to work on it.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

if he is the last guru available to do work on the bus, don't piss him off. Just buy the pistons. Is he right? it does not matter, unless you want to go back to the last guy, or do it yourself.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

I've offered to build it for my friend instead of the last guru. I still need to know if there is a problem with short skirt pistons that I should be aware of.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

I have used a few sets of the Mexican P@C's with no issue. They are good quality and the weight discrepancies were minimal compared to Brazilian Mahles ( as of late) . I think you are dealing with personal preference from the old,crusty mechanic..we all get there with age. There are certain brands I won't use even though others have gotten by with them.

Nasty cam gear
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

The left one looks so beat up that is the one I would not use. Can't you get AA Performance Hyperstatic pistons and cylinders over there?
85.5mm,
88mm Thick Wall.
Your Pistons look really small is this a 1300cc engine?

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

The 1300 piston is for comparison only. The pistons are the shorter wider 85.5 ones on the right. These pistons have a short skirt. Is that an issue?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

As I understand it, part of the function of the piston length/skirt is to prevent piston 'slapping' which seems like it would happen more with a really short piston like the ones he took out. Piston slapping will cause undue wear and tear to both the piston and the cylinder walls.

I would not use those short pistons.

You will need to really commit to more time and expense if you expect longevity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

Slipper Skirt Racing Pistons look even shorter. A lot of VW's running them even with stroker engines. I had to cut my piston skirts off to stroke my engine.

Slipper Skirt Piston are made short for stroker engines:

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

That's interesting. Surprised What issues conflict? If you have shortened piston skirts, is there anything that needs to be considered to compensate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

It seems to me that ring fit and oil ring width and design may be a little more important on shorter ones.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

So, in summary -- it seems it's ok to use these pistons. The trade off could be increased wear on cylinders - which is not a problem in this case for 2 reasons
1. These are new cylinders. If we were to replace pistons and barrels, we might as well let these barrels and pistons get worn before replacing it.

2. this car will probably see an average of less than 1000mi/yr. So, even if we were to get only 10k mi out of the piston/barrel set, it would last for the next 10 years.

I'll assume rings were properly designed for these pistons as they came with them as a set. But, I'll check clearances and clock the rings correctly.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

the piston skirt length, or lack thereof, has zero to do with that cam gear.
I'd worry about piston slap when it finally arrives, many miles later.
Grab all the viable parts you still have, get a newer cam gear & assemble it.
Or find less crotchety guy to do it.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

Think of it as a Science Experiment. What does the Steel Crank Gear look like?
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

The crank gear is ok. I've sourced a new cam gear with the exact same part number (VW oem not China) for about $10 shipped. Will need to have the current one taken off an replaced with the new one (properly indexed of course).
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

That is a later 4 bolt cam gear so make sure you reuse the same fitting oil pump for the later models. If you buy a new aftermarket performance cam you will need a 3 bolt cam gear instead and the right oil pump for the 3 bolt cam gear. Just make sure the oil pump drive tang fits nicely into the slot and the cam should rest happily in a 1/2" case mock-up (New Cam Bearings installed for the test) and not walk around any when turned and all with the oil pump installed. The Oil pump holes need to align with the ones in the case halves and not overlap to the inside edge.

Last edited by Danwvw on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

Bought this. Need to reinstall it with the dot facing in the same orientation. What is the the relationship between the dot and the cam lobes? Is it aligned to any one of them?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

The last lobe on the camshaft should more or less 'point' at the divot on
the gear, will be off a tooth or two, lots of different grinds, but as long as
your new gear has holes in the same area, relative to the timing gear mark, you
should be able to fasten the new one & be on your way.
Last lobe as in the one furthest away from the gear, #1 & #3 exhaust.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need engine help for a bay window Reply with quote

No, the gear dot goes opposite the last lobe out on the far end like in my photo!

Here:

Couldn't find a 4 bolt cam gear picture but the gear dot relative to the cam lobe is the same on dished cams (4 Bolt's) as it is flat cams (3 bolt).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: