Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 Seats High or Low back??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

I have a 68 Ghia w/out seats. For the most part I've seen highback seats but saw one 68 w/low backs.

I like the lowback look, did 68 make low back seats? if not what year ghia w/low back seats will I need to fit my 68?

Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

68 was the first year of highback seats. They are also one year only seats with fixed headrests. I think the seat tracks are the same up till 70 so any early Ghia seat will fit.

brad
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

I bought a donor '68 that I'm using the body from for my project. It has the fixed headrest highback seats. Here's what they look like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've yet to decide if I'm going to use these seats or the adjustable headrest seats from the '70...
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
I bought a donor '68 that I'm using the body from for my project. It has the fixed headrest highback seats. Here's what they look like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've yet to decide if I'm going to use these seats or the adjustable headrest seats from the '70...

I would be interested in your seats if they work. Feel free to text or call me. 505-228-2667

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

I have a 68 as well. Never been a fan of the high backs. I donated mine to my local VW mechanic. I bought a set of un-upholstered Scat Procar 90's. Plan on buying material yardage from TMI and have them done locally. Good luck with whichever you choose.
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

I would be interested in your seats if they work. Feel free to text or call me. 505-228-2667

Thanks!

They are in OK shape. They really need to be blasted and painted then re-padded and reupholstered. I honestly like the look of these seats better so I may end up using them. I'm too early in the project to make a decision so I'm not quite ready to let either set go...but if you aren't in a hurry they may be up for grabs down the road .
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks!

They are in OK shape. They really need to be blasted and painted then re-padded and reupholstered. I honestly like the look of these seats better so I may end up using them. I'm too early in the project to make a decision so I'm not quite ready to let either set go...but if you aren't in a hurry they may be up for grabs down the road .

Yes please keep me in mind when you decide. Are you building a 70? If so will the 68 seat line up w the 70 tracks? Personally I like the 70's style w the split headrest or the low back vest but I have a 68 build so will work it out.

Thanks bud!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:

Yes please keep me in mind when you decide. Are you building a 70? If so will the 68 seat line up w the 70 tracks? Personally I like the 70's style w the split headrest or the low back vest but I have a 68 build so will work it out.

Thanks bud!

I am building a '70 chassis with a '68 body on top, so I have all the parts from both. I think that the seats are interchangeable 68+ but I'm not 100% certain, however I am putting new floorpans in so changing out the seat rails isn't an issue.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks bud!

I am building a '70 chassis with a '68 body on top, so I have all the parts from both. I think that the seats are interchangeable 68+ but I'm not 100% certain, however I am putting new floorpans in so changing out the seat rails isn't an issue.

Awesome! I just finished a 70 and now doing a 68, I like the bullet lights of the older models.
I don't suppose you have a glovebox door and hinges off that 68 you would sell me?

Thanks bud!
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
advCo wrote:
Mrfun2fly wrote:

Thanks bud!

Awesome! I just finished a 70 and now doing a 68, I like the bullet lights of the older models.
I don't suppose you have a glovebox door and hinges off that 68 you would sell me?

Thanks bud!

I think they are the same as the '70..but I haven't looked at them in a while. If they are, I have a spare set I can part with.
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

Sorry to derail the seat topic, I pm'd the gentleman about the glovebox door stuff.

So back to the seats Smile
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

Mrfun2fly wrote:
Sorry to derail the seat topic, I pm'd the gentleman about the glovebox door stuff.

So back to the seats Smile

That's OK, I contacted him about the seats. Embarassed

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
68kmgvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

My 68 vert is stock and has low back seats. I, personally, much prefer the look.
2011 Touareg TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

68kmgvert wrote:
My 68 vert is stock and has low back seats. I, personally, much prefer the look.

Interesting.....I thought 68 only came w highback. Personally I like the low back look myself to
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

68 seats ARE high back. The 70 seats wont fit a 68 without seat rail change.
68 was last year of the wider seat tracks, so lowbacks from earlier car slide right in. 69+ seat rails are all the same.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
68 seats ARE high back. The 70 seats wont fit a 68 without seat rail change.
68 was last year of the wider seat tracks, so lowbacks from earlier car slide right in. 69+ seat rails are all the same.

This sounds promising! Is there a year range for the earlier seats that will slide right into the 68?

Thank you!
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

off the top of my head 61+, just about any lowback.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

I have those '68 high-back seats for my '68 Ghia. They are most ungainly (too big in a small cabin) and uncomfortable (soft and bouncy), in my opinion. I stored them and installed a pair of Porsche 924 seats instead. They sit lower, are more supportive and narrower and have a greater range of adjustment, while still in the same style as the '68 high-back seats.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

The best thing we can do for a set of 68 high backs is to douse with lighter fluid, lite a match toss it over your shoulder and walk away. Wink
Mrfun2fly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 Seats High or Low back?? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
The best thing we can do for a set of 68 high backs is to douse with lighter fluid, lite a match toss it over your shoulder and walk away. Wink

lol...now that I know I can use later model seats, I feel the same! but looking at the Procar seats, I'm impressed and may go that route. By the time I buy the used seats, the foam and shipping along with the door panels I can get new lowback, already built w/new foam, new tracks, new interior for about the same cost. And did I mention they are new so should work flawlessly Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: