Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help identifying my front seats
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know they are not 70’ seats, rather late bay, but not sure which year. Trying to ID them to order my seat covers. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

69 Sunroof Beetle-AirheadParts Treffen 18
DD-70 Baywindow Camper-AirheadParts Treffen 21
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

edit- found it
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=616871&highlight=seat+thread
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Thank you man and please do not be offended by this. I have been looking at that for a couple days now and I would really like a second set of eyes from someone who knows these seats inside and out.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Could they be early Vanagon seats? I have a set very similar to those from Stuart’s Vanagon in my basement. Won’t be able to compare until
Tomorrow. Maybe post on Vanagon forum.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

the seats feature open backs versus full coverage upholstery,
so perhaps a deluxe bus, with those partitions on the back of the
seat pedestals?
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

that does not look like a factory upholstery job to me. I would not read much into the open back
edit-yea, no coconut fiber, foam, those are po covered aftermarket jobs methinks
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
that does not look like a factory upholstery job to me. I would not read much into the open back
edit-yea, no coconut fiber, foam, those are po covered aftermarket jobs methinks

Good call.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

I agree, VW didn't upholster those.

Peel them so we can see the bones, that may help with ID.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Yeah I figured the covers on there now are not VW. I did some more investigating on the seats and the drivers seat has the tuck into type sides, which aren’t being used. While the passenger seat has the tangs that get bent in. If they are from different years and not a pair I am just gonna take them to a shop here in Vegas. I already bought the pads so they will look and feel original. The reason being is that most VW vendors sell the covers in pairs.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

They look like 75 seats from here, but read that linked thread closely as I think the camper seats may use different padding or something.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

So I just went through all of Tcash’s thread again. And I think that the seats are supposed to have different ways of attaching the material onto the frames. Maybe? If so then Busdaddy would be correct and they are a matching pair for a 75. Maybe?

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Feel around the top edge of the seat back for the two holes for the headrest. No holes? 1972 or earlier.

The tubes for the early (1973 first year) headrests were about 3/4 inch diameter pipes, while the late Baywindow headrests have narrower diameter rods. I have never disected one of those seats, but have all versions from 1968 to 1987. The headrests slide into sockets in the tops of the seat backs. You should be able to feel it under that re-upholstery job.

Tcash:

From my 1973 bus... same headrests for front seats:

From Karl: 1973

From djkilmer: 1979

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Here's my take:

The tracks fit early up through mid-76.
The back shows headrest tubes, so that makes it 1973 or later.
The later back adjust mechanism (without the early large knob used through 1974) started in 1975.
But the 1975 one-year-only seat had a linear spring front-to-back under the seat.
1976 started the torsion spring for the back adjust, and your seat has that.
But mid-1976, the seat tracks changed and were maintained into the T3 (Vanagon).

So, I'm calling these early 1976 seats.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

someone posted in another thread that they sent their old covers to sewfine, and they figured it out for them.
vocho_702
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

Jtauxe that is the kind of info that I am looking for! Thank you. Maybe you can answer my question on the seats having different ways of holding the covers on. The drivers seat has the tuck into type of covers. And the passenger seat has the pointy tangs you press the covers onto and then fold over. Should they be different? Or are they from different years?

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help identifying my front seats Reply with quote

I'm not sure, actually.

The 1975-1976 seats had tuck-in covers on the driver's seat, yes.

My only experience with a 1975 passenger seat is a 2/3 seat from my single cab. It had the tangs and same general mounting scheme, but I cannot say for sure if an early 1976 passenger seat would have use tangs or the tuck.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: