Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what size to build?.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

Personally IF I wanted horse power and keep it compact, I would go Subaru.... 200 Horsepower (mild version) , out of the box, bolt in, if early model you can get carbs, if later you can go efi (megasquirt)... And parts are at local parts house...

Speaking of Corvairs, passed one on a trailer all stripped (just body) but in primer on trailer yesterday....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

I was always told, the higher up in HP you go...the more reliability you lose.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
oprn wrote:
I haven't actually seen a Corvair in this part of the country in 18 or 20 years. There was a body shell about a 1/2 hour from here at one time but it's gone now too.

This is a bargain. Is it far?

https://spokane.craigslist.org/pts/d/complete-corvair-140-engine/6681729269.html

About 10 hours drive one way plus crossing the border, not sure if there would be import duties on it.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
They were a 2700cc 6 cylinder engine. The base model with twin carbs was 110 hp, the performance one with 4 carbs was 140 hp and the factory turbo engine with a single carter side draft carb was 180 hp. They were very much over built at about 300 pounds and yes they lasted well!

Early Corvair engines were ~2.4 liter, the first version factory Turbo was a 150hp version. Horsepower on the early engines started at 80hp.

Bryan
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

OPRN
Living in a border town most of my life I have some US shopping experience.
Generally, auto parts are not subject to duties but you may be charged the harmonized sales tax, 13% in Ontario.
This could all change though if Mr Trump continues his pursuit of a global trade war. Rolling Eyes

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: what size to build?. Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
oprn wrote:
They were a 2700cc 6 cylinder engine. The base model with twin carbs was 110 hp, the performance one with 4 carbs was 140 hp and the factory turbo engine with a single carter side draft carb was 180 hp. They were very much over built at about 300 pounds and yes they lasted well!

Early Corvair engines were ~2.4 liter, the first version factory Turbo was a 150hp version. Horsepower on the early engines started at 80hp.

Bryan

Yes you are correct!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: